• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One-Shot Made By God, Made By Man

Griffin

"Who is God?" asked the voice. Huul sighed. He had thought this day would come. The anthropomorphic Kirund beside him looked curious, almost worried. Even through her monosyllabic, stilted speech pattern, he could feel it.

"Who told you about God, Ajor?" he asked softly, turning around on the stool he was crouched on, his head leaving the table. His dark black and milky white eyes stared into her soft blue ones, which now seemed much more worried than before.

"It is not right to speak of It?" she asked. "Why are you mad, Huul?"

"I-I'm not mad, Ajor," he said, quickly trying to reassure her. She still stood stiffly, as a soldier would, but her tail, usually laying on the floor or rising to dust surfaces, was now twining itself around her legs. Her body language, like her voice, was stilted, but it was enough to let him know she was truly nervous that he had displeased her. "I'm just curious."

"Nurse did. To Young Mas-ter." Huul ran through his head quickly. Molly, then, he thought. Well, she does not know enough about...us, not enough at all.

"God is...well, why do you call God It?" he asked.

"Because I asked Jester before this, and he called It He. But Nurse called It She."

Huul shook his head. "'God' is such a general term, Ajor," he said. "But I suppose the God they refer to is the one they say created all life. Even you and I."

Ajor shook her head. "Then God is not real. Be-cause It did not make me. Ein-sor made me."

Huul froze. He had known, of course, that Ajor came from those labs, that disgusting place. But he had always hoped, a blind hope, that she would be blissfully ignorant of those origins. However...it seemed that was not so. She understood, or at least thought she did, where she came from.

"Ajor...God does exist. There is a God, even if he seems not to see us. He...he loves all His creations."

"Then It does not love me."

"Ajor..."

"I do not need love. I serve. That is e-nough."

"Ajor."

"I was made to serve. I was made by Ein-sor. I was not made by God." Her voice, throughout this conversation, had slowly been returning to the curt, flat tone it had had when he first met her.

"Ajor!"

"So-rry. So-rry I made you mad." Her voice suddenly broke, but she seemed to quickly compose herself. Her tail stiffened, uncurling from around her legs, and hung limply behind her.

"I am only mad because of how you are speaking about yourself."

"But it is the truth."

"I don't care!" yelled Huul, standing up to his full height, no longer leaning on the table, now able to almost look her in the eye. The Wombear took a deep breath, then spoke fiercely. "Even if you were not made by God, even if you were made by man, he still loves you! And even if he doesn't, Ajor, I do!"

Both were silent for a while. Then Huul spoke again.

"I'm tired. I need a nap."

"I will take you to our room," replied Ajor, reaching down to pick him up, with little effort. Her undead frame was surprisingly strong.

"..." He was about to say he was not that tired, but then he remembered that, when she was truly unable to speak to him as Huul, she called him Fellow Servant. She had said she would never serve him as she would a master. Perhaps, to her, this was the only way she expressed her love. Just as anger was the only way he could show his...

"Thank you."

---------------

I can provide a more detailed background for the confused, but I want to see if I can let this stand alone.

Very interesting, and well written, too. You get a sense of Ajor's manner of speaking (and behaving) without copious amounts of description, which is nice because it allows the piece to move along briskly and without dumping information on the reader.

I think it's fairly straightforward as far as necessary background info - Ajor is a creature created in a lab and Huul is her friend somehow, and I get the impression that the Wombears are socially classed higher than the Kirunds, judging by the fact that Ajor said she would never serve him in that way.

I'm a little unclear on Molly's role because of the fact that "she does not know enough about...us." I can't decide if she's of another species and the "us" she doesn't understand is the Wombears, or "us" as in Ajor and Huul together, or what.

But this line is the only one that's confusing to me; the other mentions of names don't merit immediate description in the story, so it's good that you didn't interrupt the flow of the story to describe them when it really isn't necessary. =) This seemed very believable and like it's part of a bigger story.

By the way, is it? If there's more to this story, I would be interested in reading it. =)

Hmm...they're characters in an RP I go on, actually. Actually, Huul and Ajor both came from the labs-that's why he has one milky white eye. He doesn't remember much about their past, except that they should stick together. His statement about "does not know enough about us" refers to Ajor and Huul.

Ajor acts this way because of how she was altered in the lab-given the ability to take on a humanoid form and intended to be a servant. Huul is trying both to change this worldview and teach her more about how to deal with people.

Here's an RP where they appear.

Back
Top Bottom