• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Suggestion Box

Again, we have the same problems because of dual types. For example, if it is a Grass battle and somebody brings up an Abomasnow or Tropius, for, example, they would clearly have the upper hand.

My point was that it would be unbalanced, ONLY depending on the pokémon used. I mean, it's the trainer's skill that should be tested, not how he/she is able to spam supereffective attacks.

That's why I mentioned the whole tournament thing. Theoretically, the best trainers will get to the end of it, and after that I suppose they can just choose what types they want.

That's actually an excellent idea. I concur, that would be an efficient manner of choosing a group.

I think that if you were to implement an eight-gym system

You'd take the top eight contestants in the 2011 Tournament, then give the first-place winner the eighth gym and let him choose his type

the second place winner would get the seventh gym and choose whatever types are left

and so on

That is... Sort of what I suggested. And I still think that would be the most efficient way of choosing them. Although Fireflies' is also good.

UH NO

In all seriousness though, it would be the easiest path to follow. But in my honest opinion, I think we should pick the Gym Leaders following criterias, like:

1. Ranking (In all the battles, not in the tournament)
2. Experience
3. Involvement in ASB

...and so on.

Well, stay general. It won't be a "ranking" of who's more involved and/or experienced, just a very general measure to make sure noobies won't sporadically take care of their task.

One way to implement this system for people who like structural Battling whilst not taking away from people who just like random, occasional battles with friends would have only Referees be allowed to be Gym leaders or take Gym battles. For ever Gym Battle a Gym Leader/Challenger was involved with, he'd have to referee a normal battle. That way, when Referees reff a Gym Battle it doesn't necessarily mean it's one less reffing for the normal battles.

Just a thought.

And as for how to select Gym Leaders? Give them a trial-run. Let ten-20 people (first come, first serve) have a Gym. Then, after ten matches, if they have won a minimum of...50-80%(whatever percentile you choose) of their battles, they get to be a Gym Leader for a month. Every month, they have to tally up the battles and see if they get in the target percentile. If not-tough luck for them, they're cut from the Leaders' list. If so-one more month. Get three months in a row, you're their for life-or until you resign.

Then, every month, for every Gym Leader that was cut, that's an empty place for the first person to apply at the beginning. So, three reffs get cut in June, the first three people to apply get a shot at being leaders. And no, someone in November who arrived late can not reserve a next empty spot.

Just ideas. However great/moronic the audience deems them to be.

The tournament is going to take quite a long time, and most of the people participating are fairly experienced. I say most, not all, but I expect that those that are not will lose fairly quickly.

Adding to Coroxn's idea, we could have an E4 and a Champion. First, the best 4 battlers (statistically) are made E4 and Negrek is crowned Champion. Then, if a Gym Leader has a win percentage of at least 80% after 5 months (I will explain this at the end), they have the option of challenging an elite. If the Leader wins, the Leader is made an Elite and the Elite is made Leader, or the Elite can resign. Now, for the Champion, we could hold a yearly change, or we could do a tournament to decide. Or a leader with a perfect average after 5 months.

Now, for the Elite thing I mentioned earlier:

80% and up: can challenge 1st Elite for spot.
85% and up: can challenge 2nd Elite for spot.
90% and up: can challenge 3rd Elite for spot.
95% and up: can challenge 4th Elite for spot.
100%: can challenge Champion.

Is it just me or are you making this overly complicated? We don't need a percentage system to decide this, we just need some gym leaders, or at the very least some gym leaders to start with. You're jumping way ahead of yourselves.

Is it just me or are you making this overly complicated? We don't need a percentage system to decide this, we just need some gym leaders, or at the very least some gym leaders to start with. You're jumping way ahead of yourselves.
What's wrong with a complicated system? Being simple isn't preferrable to being fair.

Also, for any tournament-based suggestions, I'd like to state that, statistically, direct tournaments are unreliable means of determining skill. Case-in-point: assuming skill is an exact and quantifiable value, A > B > C > D in terms of skill. They all join a tournament, and A is matched up with B while C is matched up with D. A and C advance, when A and B are the most skillful. Furthermore, if E > A > B > C > D > F, and E and F are in the second round, and A is matched up with E and C with F, E and C will advance, when A is more skillful than C. This can go on and on until E and C meet in the final match and E wins. While the tournament does "prove" E is the most skillful, it does not prove C is the second most skillful even if C finished as vice-champion.

I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying that the systems being posted are getting kind of ridiculous.

Anyways, what about a round robin? It would take ages, but it would nullify that problem.

(fff extra page I didn't see + serverfail, y u hate me)

All this talk about having the tournament top-eight be the gym leaders is ridiculous, because you can't assume that those eight quarterfinalists are all going to be interested in gym positions—the idea wasn't proposed to them when they signed up for it. Come up with something else. Have any of you actually looked at other active leagues with gyms to see how they handle it, for example? I know The PokéMasters had active gyms last time I was there.

Additionally, not all referees are skilled battlers and not all skilled battlers are good at writing decent reffings/have the time to ref as opposed to post quick commands, so correlating the two is also silly.

Negrek was in that giant PFU free-for-all iirc, so I think she knows how it went down. Pretty sure it only really ground to a halt because of the forum going all to hell and then vanishing, but then again I was only casually lurking so I might be wrong.

Last edited:
The gym leaders don't have to be "the best"; they don't have to come from the top eight. In fact, all they have to do is pick a gym theme. How about we give the four semi-finalists the opportunity to be the elite four (by that stage in the rounds, the "skew" is relatively regularized). If some decline, we ask, in order, the next four (the four losers in quarter-finals), in reverse order of the sum of health and energy their opponent has after defeating them, to fill the spot(s).

And I guess Negrek will be the "champion" at first, given neg's stature.

As for gym leaders, I don't imagine a lot of people will want to become one if it means sacrificing the rest of their team. But to make it fair, we could ask in descending order the participants in the tournament, with choices on type. They would become the gym leaders, in reverse order. If not all spots are filled, we could put them up for grabs, and host a round robin, which should be short, as if being a gym leader has not generated enough interest up to that point, it is unlikely that there would be many who would scramble for this opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom