• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Yusaiki Fortress

Blastoise Fortooate

Geographical!
Far to the north, there's a rather interesting mass of land that rises up out of the cold ocean. Although not technically an island, being connected by a skinny bit of permafrost to the mainland, the majority of the place is surrounded by either crashing, icy waves or little inlets and caves. It's rather renowned for its populace of icy pokémon, who for one reason or another seem to be enamored with the place. It boasts one of the world's largest congregations of Ice-types, as well as quite a few cold-climate water-types, and as such is quite tightly bound up by environmental protection laws. Unlike much of the world's wilderness, Yusaiki Fortress (as it is colloquially known) is not completely open for pokémon capture.

Due to being such a prosperous place for icy pokémon, there are several regulatory groups present on the land at all times. Many of the people stationed as such are scientists, studying breeding patterns and temperature effects, but there are certainly enough armed guards to deter even the most powerful trainer from messing about in the sanctuary. Luckily enough for Safari Zoners, however, there is a space through all of the bureaucratic red tape: a trainer may enter and capture one pokémon (for a fee) while accompanied by a pokémon of their own. However, visitors to the area may not attack or battle pokémon in any way; partner pokémon are there strictly for one's protection.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rules:

• A trek into the icy wilderness costs $6.
  • Your post that declares your journey into the Yusaiki Fortress will contain a link to your profile, unless it's already in your signature. You may then name a pokémon that is located in that same profile. It will be your partner as you search for a pokémon.
  • You will then receive a reply that details what happens to you and, if applicable, what pokémon you catch.
  • Often, though not always, there will be complications in catching a pokémon. For example, an ariados (which are not present here but are a useful example) may deflect your attempts by hiding behind a web. If there is some obvious way that your pokémon would be able to ignore or prevent or destroy this barrier, then your catch would be successful. Not all pokémon have such defenses and pokémon encountered will not use them every time.
  • If you have some idea as to how your pokémon could remove a barrier and thus allow you to catch the pokémon you encounter but I do not notice it when I reply, feel free to point it out. If I agree with you then you shall receive another reply that has you catch the pokémon.
  • On the other hand, I do not have to agree with your explanation, and my word is final as to whether or not you are able to bypass the barrier and succeed in a capture.
  • Some of the rarest, most endangered pokémon in the area require a permit to leave with, which costs money. You have the choice, upon encountering such a rarity, to purchase a permit. These permits range in price from five to fifteen(!) dollars, but every pokémon that requires one only has a 1/100 chance of appearing.

I'd like to trek into the icy wilderness with my Darmanitan! She'll keep me warm, or something.
(link to profile in signature)

You pull a giftshop-issue parka closer to you as you push through the slush in front of you. You'd be having rather a lot more trouble if it wasn't for your darmanitan, who periodically sends out waves of intense heat to liquify the snow around the both of you. You're breaking through the underbrush of a forested area when you see movement ahead, through the driving snowfall. You urge your numbing legs into a jog, but the creature you chase seems to be running rather quickly; however, it slows down enough after a moment that you're able to half-blindly throw your issued poké ball at it. You release it afterwards to see what it is:

586-winter.gif

Your new female sawsbuck looks haughtily at you and warily at your darmanitan, but seems glad enough to follow you back to the entrance and out of the Fortress.

:D Woo! Again~ with Darmanitan again.

(also don't forget to make bank posts, I already forgot if I subtracted my money on my profile or not for the first one and :[ )

(I'll keep it in mind! Also, good job getting no obstacles twice in a row.)

You push more money into the guard's hands, and you feel his impressed stare as you head back into the icy wilderness. It's rather a longer trip this time; try as you might, you can't seem to find anything in this supposedly well-populated sanctuary to catch. Just as you and your darmanitan start to share unsure looks and glances backwards, your booted foot slips on ice and you joltedly bounce down a mildly-sloping hill. At the bottom, you're surrounded by black, cold sand. You hear your darmanitan whoop in surprise and leap down after you, but you're distracted by what lies in the water in front of you; just close enough to shore so that you might reach it easily, there's a little shelled creature. Bracing yourself and removing your gloves, you plunge both hands into the calm saltwater, snatching your prize up before your hands become too numb to grab anything. Your darmanitan stops directly behind you as you stand back up and tap your poké ball to the pokémon's face; it sticks out its tongue as it dematerializes.

090.gif

You emerge from Yusaiki Fortress with a male shellder.

(It is very strange that you got two non-ice types. ARE YOU CHEATING THAT IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW YOUNG LADY)

Squirtle

You run rather enthusiastically into the park, bound up like a wailmer in your winter clothing. Your squirtle trails a bit behind, fascinated with the snow and with the little booties you've tied to his feet. After a couple dozen minutes spent in the frozen area, however, you're beginning to feel the cold ache through your clothes and your smile. However, you still manage to keep cheerful enough to find a deep, naturally-occurring hole in the ground. As you approach it, you smell salt, and upon closer inspection, it's filled up with briny water. You break the thin ice that's formed on top with your foot and look inside, and eventually discern a shadow that opens and closes occasionally. You're about to send your squirtle in to get it, but it chooses that moment to float upwards. Seeing your oppourtunity, you grab the clam in both hands and toss it onto dry land, throwing your poké ball at it before it can right itself.

090.gif

You end up having found a female shellder. It bites you on the finger when you release it, but your hands are still cold so you don't much feel it.

Alraune

You once more return to the harsh climate of Yusaiki Fortress, this time deciding to keep your darmanitan close to keep warmer. She follows you dutifully and continues, as before, to melt a path through the snow ahead. After a bit, you come across a relatively small cave in a cliff-face and decide, for whatever reason, to go in. It rapidly becomes dark inside the cave, and as the chill intensifies your darmanitan sets her eyebrows alight. The dancing flames, besides warming you further, cast a decent amount of light. It's enough, in fact, to let you catch a glimpse of a furry brown mass up ahead. After directing your partner to aim more ligh in that direction, you toss your poké ball at your target. The firelight and red flash from the ball are enough to reveal what you've caught before it disappears:
221.gif

A male piloswine.

Squirtle

(They're yours, sure, you purchased them at the gift shop. :P)

With your squirtle experimentally tobogganing along on his shell alongside you, you again trudge through the ice and snow. The snow isn't falling that hard this time, so you get pretty optimistic about things. The conditions also allow you to spot an oddly snowy patch up ahead; you dash to the spot, miraculously without slipping once, and investigate. All you can see is a small but dense sphere of driving, harsh snow. A shape moves withing, vaguely, but that's the extent of what you can make out. Your squirtle, bless him, tries to Rapid Spin his way through, but he simply can't stand the harsh icy winds. Before you know it, the shape inside has disappeared, leaving you with nothing gained.

When you return your poké ball at the gate sadly, the man behind the desk takes pity on you and hands you something. You're not a botanist (as far as I know), but you're pretty sure that what you've just got is an Aspear berry. It's no Articuno, but whatever.

Squirtle

You head back out, and this time the wind is fiercer than it was before. You pull your hat down to cover your forehead, carrying your squirtle because he's retreated into his relatively warm, windless shell. You're about to duck into a cave to avoid the worst of the windy conditions when you spot it; there's a brown, white-with-snow mass wriggling through the snow towards the opening of the cave. In a moment you've fished your poké ball out, maximized it, and thrown it at the creature.
220.gif

Your male swinub is kind enough to lead you back out of the oncoming blizzard before you get lost.

Alraune

Indeed, this place. Your larvesta's heat output redoubles as you head into the Fortress, and you pull whatever clothing you're wearing closer to yourself. The snow is piled up rather thickly, but the sky is relatively clear for now, if steely-gray and freezing. The clear conditions make it rather simple for you to notice a dark blur in the trees; upon further inspection, you find a sleepy-looking female sneasel clinging to a tree, panting a bit. It flashes its claws at you, but your larvesta trumpets flames out of her horns and startles the ice-type enough for you to catch it.
215f.gif

Back
Top Bottom