The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Entertainment

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM
off to save time and space

Pronoun: He
PK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II

I'm confused as for why we're spoiling harry potter, but okay. (SPOILER) It was his sled!

Really, though, the movie was fantastic. I saw the midnight premier with my girlfriend and tears were everywhere. EVERYWHERE

Ah, yes... "reapers".
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Captain Husbando

Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
4) It's been a while since I read the book so I don't remember if this was addressed there, but: (SPOILER) as they were breaking into Gringotts, Hermione was Polyjuiced into Bellatrix, they had Bellatrix's wand, and the goblins asked to see her wand for identification. So why didn't they just show them the wand? o_O.
IIRC (SPOILER) the real Bellatrix had gotten a new wand, so they would've known she was an imposter.

Also I fully agree with you on AVPM!Voldy versus movie!Voldy.

I managed not to lose it at (SPOILER) Fred and Lupin and Tonks buuuuuut I started bawling at (SPOILER) Snape in the Pensieve crying over Harry's mom.

(also related to AVPM, all I could think when (SPOILER) Snape was dying was "MY WEINER!" It half-ruined it for me.)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Nothin's ever gonna bring us down~

Pronoun: Female
Blazie is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaaaah more on AVPM:
(SPOILER) Voldemort: ...I will kill every last man, woman, and child who tries to conceal you.
*silence*
My thoughts: You forgot "Voldemort out, b*tches."

But, um, more seriously, I enjoyed the movie. :D But my movie theatre ran out of HP 3D glasses so we didn't get to look awesome. :(
Most of us know the story of Grovyle and his partner, separated in the past but still managing to save the planet. But there is another story. A story of the hero landing as a memory-less Pokemon - alongside Grovyle. With Grovyle too distraught to explain what has happened, and every friend dividing her between two ways of life, Holly will come to understand that relationships are complicated - and can change in an instant.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Geographical!

Blastoise Fortooate is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Blastoise Fortooate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampharos View Post
I saw it yesterday, and I have to say I was disappointed. I guess the battle scenes were OK, but they zipped past the first part of the movie so quickly that I was really put off. I was also displeased by the little things they changed from the books that could've been put into the movie. And, to top it all off, my parents wouldn't see it in 3-D, so some parts were less spectacular than they could have been.

All-in-all, one of my least favourites of the series, probably only better than the 6th one.
How could they 'skip over' the first part of the movie? That part had that whole other Part One movie devoted to it. If you mean the first part of the second half, then how much more time could they spend in the cottage or Gringotts? What changes did you not like?

In other news, I tried hard not to laugh when (SPOILER) Voldemort hugged Draco. It must have been so uncomfortable for him, like hugging an unfriendly skeleton. I seem to be one of the people who does find Voldemort scary. This is a guy who didn't hesitate to try to kill a baby, after all. His 'HAHVADA KAHDAVARAH' to Harry was over-the-top, though.

I was kind of disappointed by the lack of the Scalding Charm or whatever on the Lestrange treasure, but they made up for it with the awesome multiplying effect. It wouldn't have worked well, I guess, what with the speed that the treasure multiplied in the movie.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Pronoun: it
1. Luftballon is an unknown quantity at this point

(SPOILER for wtf where'd the climax go) afaict voldemort just exploded for no apparent reason. what.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Pronoun: She
Dannichu is an unknown quantity at this point

(SPOILER for The film?) They really should've renamed the film "McGonagall is a Total Badass and Harry and Voldemort do some stuff too". I saw it this evening and the entire cinema gave her a round of applause following "I've always wanted to do that spell". I must find a gif of that scene on Tumblr and watch it until my eyes hurt. She was totally my favourite character in the books, and I was annoyed that they cut quite a bit of her hilarious snark from the films, and the bit where she takes on four Death Eaters, so it was lovely to see her get her moment(s).

We also had a big collective LOL over them (presumably) forgetting to age-up Hermione in the epilogue bit.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM
actually very huggable

opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point

oh man I was so annoyed that they cut McGonagall verbally destroying Umbridge out of Order of the Phoenix (and they even had her submitting to Umbridge slightly >:(((), I was very happy she got her due in this film. :3 Also: <3 Maggie Smith.
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannichu View Post
(SPOILER for The film?) They really should've renamed the film "McGonagall is a Total Badass and Harry and Voldemort do some stuff too". I saw it this evening and the entire cinema gave her a round of applause following "I've always wanted to do that spell". I must find a gif of that scene on Tumblr and watch it until my eyes hurt. She was totally my favourite character in the books, and I was annoyed that they cut quite a bit of her hilarious snark from the films, and the bit where she takes on four Death Eaters, so it was lovely to see her get her moment(s).

We also had a big collective LOL over them (presumably) forgetting to age-up Hermione in the epilogue bit.
is this close enough?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 AM
booming system

Glace has disabled reputation

OH MY GOSH (SPOILER) They did the Mrs. Weaseley (?) killing Bellatrix scene perfectly. Well in my opinion anyways. (SPOILER) And Snape dying made me have a sadface D:
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Oh my god yes I want to take Maggie Smith (and Celia Imrie and Una Stubbs) and force her to be my grandmother <3333

Before the film started, I asked the people I went to the cinema with who their favourite HP character was, and aside from a vote for Sirius and one for Lockhart (oh Grabby), McGonagall won, hands down.

I'm a little sad my (possibly) favourite McGongall line/scene didn't make it into the film - '"Our Headmaster is taking a short break," said Professor McGonagall, pointing at the Snape-shaped hole in the window' - but I'm pleased with what we got.

(I also adore the one from Prisoner of Azkaban when they all get up from dinner and Trelawney freaks out, so McGongall says something to the effect of "I think we'll be okay, as long as there isn't a mad axeman outside, waiting to kill the first person to leave.")

And THANK YOU, RES <3
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Mmhm...

Espeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannichu View Post
Before the film started, I asked the people I went to the cinema with who their favourite HP character was, and aside from a vote for Sirius and one for Lockhart (oh Grabby), McGonagall won, hands down.
Speaking of Lockhart, he [Kenneth Branagh] went to the school which both my parents taught at at around the same time that they were teaching there (though neither of them taught him directly).

Uhm, as for the actual film I went to see it on Friday at 10:45 and was really amazed by it to the point that in the IRC I had to insist on making people change their nicknames to Harry Potter characters. :(

(SPOILER) I thought that the 19 years later part in this film was much better than in the book but I suppose that's because they skimmed over a lot of the names and... well, a considerable portion, which made the entire thing less cheesy. I did think the only person who actually looked any older was Draco Malfoy, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Banned

I'm still confused at the people randomly exploding into black confetti or something.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 AM
bye

Pronoun: she
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And serious hats off to (SPOILER) Helena Bonham Carter, who managed to make me completely believe she was Hermione impersonating Bellatrix rather than actually Bellatrix before and during the Gringotts breakout - I think that's the single most convincing actor-playing-other-character-impersonating-their-character I have ever seen.
(SPOILER) Holy shit lol. You know I never even really thought about it at the time because I was too engrossed in the movie but that /was/ Helena Bonham Carter doing that scene wasn't it. Jesus Christ it's so much better when you actually realize it was the same actress the whole time. xD (I mean obviously it was but you don't think about these things while watching the movie.)

Anyway I loved it <3 the theater I was in clapped quite a bit during the movie. I also teared up twice and then went into full-out sobbing during (SPOILER) Snape's memories. It was so good <3
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 AM
i hope you're okay

Pronoun: they
Ever is an unknown quantity at this point

*SCREAMS* The (SPOILER) kids were so fucking cute! Especially Albus Severus Potter! Well, actually, he was the only one.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymetric Sesquialtera View Post
Anyway I loved it <3 the theater I was in clapped quite a bit during the movie.
See, I'd never been to a cinema showing before where people had clapped ever. Well, one time people clapped at the end of a showing of, I think, Finding Nemo, and I was confused (were they clapping the guy at the back who was showing us the film?), because it's, as far as I'm aware, not really something that happens in the UK, which made McGongall's round of applause even more epic.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Butterfree

Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point

Helena Bonham Carter is quite possibly my favourite actress now. (SPOILER) I actually had trouble deciding whether it was Emma Watson or HBC doing those scenes! I was like "but that's Hermione" and then "no but it's... aaaa". Good work, HBC. :D

McGonagall is just. I mean. :D (SPOILER) Disappointed by lack of desks + chairs though. STILL I love her.

Also, the (SPOILER) awkward moment when you get hugged by Lord Voldemort in front of the entire wizarding world. <3333 Also Neville wasn't badass enough but still was awesome.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Strange days ahead

Byrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Byrus

Haven't watched this, but someone posted a GIF of (SPOILER) Malfoy getting hugged by Voldemort along with a funny caption and I couldn't stop laughing... ARGH WHERE DID I PUT THE LINK >(

I almost don't want to see this, just because (SPOILER) Bellatrix dies. Good job me, miss out on a whole movie just because your favourite character dies, way to be petty.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Metapod

Lorem Ipsum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
4) It's been a while since I read the book so I don't remember if this was addressed there, but: (SPOILER) as they were breaking into Gringotts, Hermione was Polyjuiced into Bellatrix, they had Bellatrix's wand, and the goblins asked to see her wand for identification. So why didn't they just show them the wand? o_O
I thought that at the time as well, but if you think about it, (SPOILER) Bellatrix would have told everyone that Harry et. al. had stolen her wand, and so they'd be on the lookout for anyone using it to impersonate her. Thus showing her wand off would be a surefire way of telling them that they weren't actually Bellatrix.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Geographical!

Blastoise Fortooate is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Blastoise Fortooate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrus View Post
Haven't watched this, but someone posted a GIF of (SPOILER) Malfoy getting hugged by Voldemort along with a funny caption and I couldn't stop laughing... ARGH WHERE DID I PUT THE LINK >(
it's here for anyone who wants it

Tags
deathly hallows, harry potter, movies