• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In which time period would you live in?

How does time travel work anyway? If you're traveling to the future, does it just randomly place you in one of the possible timelines that branched from the timeline you came from? And if you go to the past, do you leave an anchor in the present or are you transported to an alternate timeline present with the same root?

It really depends on what sort of time travel it is. Like in Stargate when they are sent back to ancient Egypt and get stuck there they change the future because they prevent a rebellion from happening and end up creating a future where they never find the Stargate; a single timeline. There are other episodes where Daniel literally gets sent into alternate demensions where the timeline differs slightly, but had similar major events, ie an alien invasion; yet those were alternate demensions, not timelines.

Or you could go Doctor Who style in which time isn't linear, but rather it's a form of energy that can be manipulated; like what the Weeping Angels do in 'feeding' off potential energy. They attack you and send you back in time to live to death, whilst nomming on any life or energy you would have had in the future/present time. For example say someone was going to live from 1980-2020, but get attacked by an Angel in 2010. That other ten years they would have lived from 2010-2020 gets taken in by the Angel as a form of energy. At the same time that person gets sent back to 1910 and they die in 1920, living the next ten years of their life. Wibbly wobbly, timey, whimey.

Some events are fixed points and can't be changed, like Pompeii, yet others can be changed and rewritten. Each potential response to changes in the course of events creates a separate demension in which that event took place and it's different response to said event... Sort of like cracked glass spreading out from one point except there are an infinate amount of these points. The farther from the central event the more drastically different they are from each other, and then MORE stem off from them.

It's sort of mind freaking just to think of it.

Last edited:
Greek mythology era. I'd get to meet Artemis, Aphrodite, Athena, Helios, Zeus, Poseidon, etc.

I've always thought traveling to the future is moot because there are a billion timelines that could sprout from a single one, if someone was to apply the butterfly effect theory to it.

The way it happens in Lost is interesting, too. (note that Lost is heavily subject to interpretation, this is my take on it) There is one, and one, timeline. The lostaways travel to the past and live there for three years before returning to the present, but they didn't change anything with their travel because they were always supposed to travel to the past. Also, if you try to change a predetermined event (the death of an individual, for example), you'll always fail, because the universe will act around your actions to ensure that the event takes place.

I've always thought traveling to the future is moot because there are a billion timelines that could sprout from a single one, if someone was to apply the butterfly effect theory to it.

The way it happens in Lost is interesting, too. (note that Lost is heavily subject to interpretation, this is my take on it) There is one, and one, timeline. The lostaways travel to the past and live there for three years before returning to the present, but they didn't change anything with their travel because they were always supposed to travel to the past. Also, if you try to change a predetermined event (the death of an individual, for example), you'll always fail, because the universe will act around your actions to ensure that the event takes place.

That's my favourite kind of time travel too. It's like the kind in Harry Potter.

So if you were trying to be the only person who won a certain lottery draw, you'd have to find one where only one person won, and you'd have to make sure that the one person who did win wasn't not you. If that makes sense!

I would totally go back to live in the 90s.
Man, the whole nihilistic apathetic thing going on back then is pretty awesome.
I mean, it sounds bad, but it's like now but better. Dirtier, sleazier, grungier.
Back then, the mindset was 'life is shit, so let's go do whatever the fuck because why not?' rather than 'EVERYTHING IS GOOD AND GREAT AND YOU ARE HAPPY SO SMILE YAY KITTENS'
Plus, the whole 'not having the internet or mobile phones' thing. With communication more difficult, it really becomes a special thing - talking to someone face-to-face was the norm, as opposed to over a screen.
Besides, goth-culture really appeals to me, so.

Basically, I'd love to live in 90's New York/LA or some shit. Sounds like a waste, but I would love it.

I would totally go back to live in the 90s.
Man, the whole nihilistic apathetic thing going on back then is pretty awesome.
I mean, it sounds bad, but it's like now but better. Dirtier, sleazier, grungier.
Back then, the mindset was 'life is shit, so let's go do whatever the fuck because why not?' rather than 'EVERYTHING IS GOOD AND GREAT AND YOU ARE HAPPY SO SMILE YAY KITTENS'
Plus, the whole 'not having the internet or mobile phones' thing. With communication more difficult, it really becomes a special thing - talking to someone face-to-face was the norm, as opposed to over a screen.
Besides, goth-culture really appeals to me, so.

Basically, I'd love to live in 90's New York/LA or some shit. Sounds like a waste, but I would love it.

How come so many people want to go into the future? Given the way things are headed now the future won't be much better than the present. If it's to cheat at the lottery, there's plenty of more effective ways to get rich off of time travel.

I think the 60's and 70's in cities would've been pretty excellent. I know nostalgia is ridiculously clouding, but the actual proper political and social movements they had going on sound brilliant. Although this does mean I'd have to live through things like the IRA blowing stuff up and then Thatcher and other badness. So maybe I'll be boring and say the present day, too.

...I quite like my indoor plumbing. I get the impression that wherever you end up, you're always going to find things to nitpick at and I'm really quite happy living in the present day, too. It's what I know and understand the best.

tumblr_lz06sbPgby1qcu0j0o1_400.jpg

reality aside i guess i would go against all my political inclinations and just choose 'plz reincarnate me as an upper-class twit in the Edwardian era' so i could be bertie irl

I'm pretty comfortable with the present. Maybe like a few years back or so, either because there's some girl I would've liked to be old enough to take a crack at or because things would arguably be even a little bit better for me with even a year or so of difference, namely my current governor making my education a lot harder than it needs to be.

Not that I know a damnedest thing about politics but still.

I wanna live in the victorian era cuz they all wear the prettiest long flowing dresses omg

x) <3 >w<;;

.....even if they kinda had sexist issues and stuff :/....but those dress omg.

XD;

I wanna live in the victorian era cuz they all wear the prettiest long flowing dresses omg

x) <3 >w<;;

.....even if they kinda had sexist issues and stuff :/....but those dress omg.

XD;

Yeah, victorian fashion was pretty rad.
I only wish you could wear stuff like that these days and not get funny looks. I want to wear a pocket watch and a cravat gosh darnit >:|

Back
Top Bottom