• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Club Reborn

It isn't bad, honestly it isn't. It's just the shading in Pokemon comes from the left, I believe, though I'm not sure, and the shdaing on this one is the opposite. And as you mentioned, it could be bigger, but that can be fixed.

Uh, here's my.. *counts* second scratch. I ate the first one, omnomnom. I mostly copied the fire, but didn't copy paste. Meh. It's.. supposed to have three types. :D
Mentara.png

Are the three types fire, grass and water?
I think you might have used the default green...I'm not sure, though.
Otherwise it's a nice scratch.

...Yup, that's definitely the default green and blue. You do know how to make your own colors, right?

But once you get past the eyeblinding colors and the lack of shading, it's actually... pretty good. You've got a decent concept. There's a matter of the tail coming out its side, but really, with some better colors and shading (on the outlines especially) it would be quite good).

...Blaziking, your Pokemon could pass as a badge. :/ Look at official Pokemon sprites, and learn by copying what you see.

*pokes sprite* Wut, that's default? I swear I made my own colours..

And yeah, fire, water and grass. The eyes suck. A lot. >_<

Uh, this is mostly scratch:
Porygon_repose_by_Frickish.png

Bet you can't guess what pokemon it used to be. XD Hint: *makes bleating noise*
My main problem is with the foot(?)...its too straight. that's cuz I got lazy because it was 3 am when I made it. XD

Hm, yeah. I really need to fix that. But I don't know how the leg should be placed, if that makes sense.

Look, look, I tried to scratch two official Pokemon! and they both suck!

gira-scartch-2.png
dratini-scratch.png

why the hell I chose to scratch Giratina first is beyond me, really. Dunno what I was thinking.

They are good sprites but there is something about it that makes it look a bit wrong. When I focus on it though there is really nothing wrong with the anatomy and notwhat. So.... Its hard to crit. The front legs could be spread out more.

All I see are shading issues. Dratini looks a little fat, but they can use a bit of it, the skinny freaks. On Giratina it looks like you tried shading it from to different light sources.

Ditto2.png

Ditto says hi.

Yes, my latest scratch, because I can. And this place needs posts anyways.

So I did this one despite knowing I have an important test tomorrow, and that I should be rehearsing.

Haha. CC?

You double posted.
I think it's cute! The shading seems right everywhere. Unlike any things I make.
Fiera.png

A scratch. Shading advice please!

Well, I sure can't give shading advice.
Practice makes perfect?
But I wanted to post here to...rejoin, I guess? I was a member of this club from the old forums but never got around to rejoining here.
Maybe because I've been too lazy to sprite?
Well, I have nothing new anyway, so I'll just show you good ol' Mirage...
FlygonPixel-OverB031.gif

...and be off~
=3

(Yes, she's a pixel-over...I think I stole the colors from the Emerald sprite and made about twice as many shades...the mouth's colors maybe from some Lapras sprite...and I found the original on Photobucket
I could never remember what anyone had to say about her...)

EDIT: Oh, wait. I lied. I have one splice and one recolor.
Poryntler-Z.gif
StaraptorRecolor.gif

Last edited:
aquageddon.png

oh god what is that thing it's ugly

also entirely scratch except the tip of the right (our right) whisker since no matter what I did it looked stupid so I stole it from Wishcash.

Also FMCrade and moonyvour
Katirade.png
krystalpogie.png

i like dithering way too much for my own good.

aquageddon.png

oh god what is that thing it's ugly
(Is not that ugly :()
From what I see, you have no problem with outlining, although you should colour them in slightly brighter colours, and try using the darkest shade of the blue on the outline where the light hits, if you get what I mean. Oh, and some of the outlines are slightly bumpy, and it looks like the body get thinnger and fatter and thinner and fatter... You get what I mean?

Try not dithering too much if you want it to look like a Pokémon styled sprite, it makes it look... fake, and from a distance it looks like you've used many colours, instead of three, because the dithering makes the colours merge. And remember, all Pokémon sprites have light coming from the top-left and slightly from the front.

Also, be careful when you're choosing colours. Especially in paint, where you can just drag that little arrow and the colour becomes darker. Make the colour slightly different. For example, if you have a pink coloured Pokémon, and you're going to shade it, you would want it look realistic, right? So you make the darker pink slightly purple, it looks better. With blue, make the shade slightly more purple.

And fianlly, the eye. Don't have a black or whatever colour outline around the eye, it makes it look unrealistic. Sure, it looks good on some sprites, but it'll, in most cases, look better if you don't have an outline on the bottom part of it. You've got to look at some sprites to see what I mean here. It's difficult for me who's not english to explain. And especially when I'm in a slight hurry :/

Also FMCrade and moonyvour
Katirade.png
krystalpogie.png

i like dithering way too much for my own good.
Not much to say here. You just recoloured and edited some parts of these sprites. Simple, yet really good.

(Also, as I mentioned before, I'm in a slight hurry, so I'm not checking for any grammar mistakes or whatever. Deal with it.)

mmh... Yeah, I decided to scratch something. It's a Luneon, my fake evolution of Umbreon.

If you want to see it, here: Link.

Yes, Bakun has a Dev account :3. Now, C&C, pl0x?
Way too lazy to write more, so I C+P'ed my post from the Spriter's Showcase.

Back
Top Bottom