• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Summer Sun/Moon Pre-Release Tournament?

Espeon

Mmhm...
Yo!

So I've been kind of wanted to do something with the WiFi league for ages and am hoping that the release of Sun/Moon will help to breathe a little bit of life back into this place. However, in the mean time, many people should theoretically be enjoying a little bit of freedom over Summer, so this is the perfect time to attempt a quick thing with the WiFi League!

As such I was just hoping to gauge interest in a sort of pre-release tournament and also wasn't really sure what kind of battling people would be interested in doing! (Monotype, standard smogon OU/Little Cup metagame etc...)

If there's any interest just let me know below and maybe comment some kind of tournament format that you'd be interested in!

Previously Used Ideas People Might Like:
- Monotype, where players are randomly assigned a type to use.
- 'Pool Party', where each player suggests 2 Pokémon to be used in a 'pool', and players must construct their teams using Pokémon exclusively from this selection.
- 'Battle Hall Blast' - Using one – and only one – Pokémon to fight your way to victory for the whole tournament.
- Metronome-Only Tournament

Last edited:
I'd be down for pretty much anything, tbh. I like double battles in particular, and I'd probably enjoy one of the more gimmicky formats most, but yeah, anything's good, really.

I'm not 100% certain if I'm in but I might be interested! It probably doesn't matter if I'm not the best at battling, haha.

My vote goes to the monotype teams, but using just only pokemon for the whole tournament also sounds pretty interesting. :P

Doubles monotype sounds like a safe bet! :'D Any objections?

Also re: monotypes, would you want it to be the same as before (your type is allocated for you, plus you can use one Pokémon outside of your type choice), or just select your own team type? (I'm personally more in favour of the former, since it'll force people to use teams they're maybe not comfortable with :B)

Also, are people happy to just abide by Smogon tiering for now, just to keep things quick to organise without faffing around and debating which mega-evolutions are and aren't viable? I mean, we could always try out official VGC rules but, I'm not sure what people would prefer? Even if the tournament is merely the four of us, I think it'd be best to do a round robin format just so we can battle everyone. Once all of the details are ironed out and the actual tournaments sign-up thread is out, I might ask to put an announcement out or something, since this WiFi board is gathering dust and people may not have seen it.

Last edited:
I'm super excited to start having custom tournaments when Sun/Moon come out! Dunno if I'd be able to participate in a pre-release tournament, because it might be hard to organize with time zones and everything, but I'm interested. Hehe!

I want to play! I'm horrible at battling, but I refuse to be left out >:( We're going to be using a simulator or something, right? R-right...?!

I like the idea of participating, but my schedule is so wonky (I work in the afternoons/evenings when others are free) that I don't think I could manage unless each round was at least a week long to ensure that my battling partner and I could find a time to battle either on one of my days off or on normal people's weekends.

Plan for me not to participate, but I might change my mind once the tourney format (including timetable) is ironed out.

Also re: monotypes, would you want it to be the same as before (your type is allocated for you, plus you can use one Pokémon outside of your type choice), or just select your own team type? (I'm personally more in favour of the former, since it'll force people to use teams they're maybe not comfortable with :B)
I don't think I played in the one we did before, but I was thinking something more like an all electric-type tourney, in that everybody uses only electric-types, or what have you. Puts everybody on more of an even playing field and also means that you never end up with, say, one person being dragon monotype and the other being fairy monotype and essentially having a "you hosed, son" situation, unless that person's one free pokemon does something really spectacular. There have been a few global link tournaments along those lines, including an electric monotype one, but also one for "spooky" pokemon (certain ghost- and dark-types), a holiday tournament for red, white, and green pokemon only, etc., so you could look there for inspiration.

Also, are people happy to just abide by Smogon tiering for now, just to keep things quick to organise without faffing around and debating which mega-evolutions are and aren't viable? I mean, we could always try out official VGC rules but, I'm not sure what people would prefer? Even if the tournament is merely the four of us, I think it'd be best to do a round robin format just so we can battle everyone. Once all of the details are ironed out and the actual tournaments sign-up thread is out, I might ask to put an announcement out or something, since this WiFi board is gathering dust and people may not have seen it.
Seems reasonable enough. I'm honestly still pretty *angrily clenches fist* at the idea of Mega Evolution existing in general, but I guess I'd better get used to it at some point. XD I'm fine either way, but tbh the current VGC ruleset isn't too appealing to me.

I'm super excited to start having custom tournaments when Sun/Moon come out! Dunno if I'd be able to participate in a pre-release tournament, because it might be hard to organize with time zones and everything, but I'm interested. Hehe!

Pbbt, you should play anyway! The more the merrier, right? :p

I want to play! I'm horrible at battling, but I refuse to be left out >:( We're going to be using a simulator or something, right? R-right...?!

I was actually planning to have this one on 3DS, since we'd tried getting people interested in using a battle simulator and kind of... failed.

HOWEVER – if there's a ton of interest in this (which to be honest, there is actually looking to be more interest than I thought there would be), I'll pop up a thread with instructions on how to get a particular battle simulator and see if we can set up some kind of arrangement once Sun/Moon are added to the battle simulators.

I'd be really keen to do this as well because some of the battle simulators have those "Random Team" checkboxes, and uh... it kind of sounds like it'd be a load of fun for a super gimmicky tournament. :x

I like the idea of participating, but my schedule is so wonky (I work in the afternoons/evenings when others are free) that I don't think I could manage unless each round was at least a week long to ensure that my battling partner and I could find a time to battle either on one of my days off or on normal people's weekends.

Plan for me not to participate, but I might change my mind once the tourney format (including timetable) is ironed out.

Tournament format kind of depends on how many people are participating, to be honest. At the moment I'd be tempted to do a round robin (everyone battles everyone within a set time limit or maybe say, 3-4 weeks?), so theoretically you could actually complete your battles all on the same day should people happen to be free at those times.

If there's a few more people I'd be tempted to move it on to a knockout-tournament style thing, in which case I would allow 1 week per battle by default. I too have a very erratic schedule, so I do understand how hard it can be to squeeze these things in and sympathise!

I don't think I played in the one we did before, but I was thinking something more like an all electric-type tourney, in that everybody uses only electric-types, or what have you. Puts everybody on more of an even playing field and also means that you never end up with, say, one person being dragon monotype and the other being fairy monotype and essentially having a "you hosed, son" situation, unless that person's one free pokemon does something really spectacular. There have been a few global link tournaments along those lines, including an electric monotype one, but also one for "spooky" pokemon (certain ghost- and dark-types), a holiday tournament for red, white, and green pokemon only, etc., so you could look there for inspiration.

Seems reasonable enough. I'm honestly still pretty *angrily clenches fist* at the idea of Mega Evolution existing in general, but I guess I'd better get used to it at some point. XD I'm fine either way, but tbh the current VGC ruleset isn't too appealing to me.

All of those ideas sound great haha. Maybe we should run with that version of monotype for now, since it's probably easier/more accessible for people to play right now and then look into doing some more abstract concepts like "these colour Pokémon only" tournaments next time?

SO, in summary – monotype (where all use the same type) doubles?

I was actually planning to have this one on 3DS, since we'd tried getting people interested in using a battle simulator and kind of... failed.

Oh... but then hatching and raising a team takes, like, effort! I can't do effort! :(

Oh... but then hatching and raising a team takes, like, effort! I can't do effort! :(

Don't worry! There'll be an allotted time period for doing the catching/raising! :o Plus, if you have some trained Pokémon anyway, you'll likely be able to use some of those. :D You know you want to play Pokémon with ussssss.

Last edited:
Don't worry! There'll be an allotted time period for doing the catching/raising! :o Plus, if you have some trained Pokémon anyway, you'll likely be able to use some of those. :D You know you want to play Pokémon with ussssss.

Can I hack some Pokémon into one of the fifth-generation games and just transfer them to ORAS... hehe... Otherwise I can't do a 3DS tournament, for sure.

It's not hard to use Showdown, though! :o

Can I hack some Pokémon into one of the fifth-generation games and just transfer them to ORAS... hehe... Otherwise I can't do a 3DS tournament, for sure.

It's not hard to use Showdown, though! :o

Next time, next time. (Though I did prefer Pokémon Online to Showdown the last time I used online sims). :p Lemme PM you about questions etc...

I too shall play if there's room going.

I should be able to make time whenever on weekends, definitely won't be able to on weekdays though except for people in the same timezone as me.

I'd love to play, but I have to deal with college apps and stuff. :( My schedule will be wonky, like Jack's, and I've never played a tournament like this before.

I'd love to play, but I have to deal with college apps and stuff. :( My schedule will be wonky, like Jack's, and I've never played a tournament like this before.

Literally not a problem! Instructions will be made crystal clear when the actual tournament thread goes up, so just have a read through of that and stuff. It'll literally just be "make sure your battles are complete by this date go go go" though.

I too shall play if there's room going.

I should be able to make time whenever on weekends, definitely won't be able to on weekdays though except for people in the same timezone as me.

Woop woop! The more the merrier. :D

I shall aim to get the thread for the actual tournament up before Friday, when I go away for my friend's wedding.

Back
Top Bottom