• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sword and Shield Choice Pokéresistance

Re: Sword and Shield Choice Pokéresistance

(Sorry for the delay! I've been unexpectedly busy these past few days. All the votes are in, though, so here we go...)

--

Mission 1, Stow-on-Side - Proposal 1 (Keldeo, Panini):
Accept: Keldeo, Butterfree, Stryke, qva, Panini, Chemist1422
Reject: N/A

Keldeo and Panini proceed to the Stow-on-Side Gym Mission!

A few more minutes of friendly arguing sees the order sorted out at last, and the first two trainers change into their uniforms and make their way into the stadium at Stow-on-Side. Brimming with excitement, the pair sends out their most trusted pokémon—Wooloo and Meowth—and take their seats in their respective spinning cups. There's a sharp blast from the ref's whistle and they're off, whirling down the slopes of the first giant table and turning their steering wheels frantically to slide through the maze of walls in their path. Spinning down to the bottom of the table and their first opponent proves no trouble at all for the two challengers, and the gym trainer at the bottom is no match for the energy and enthusiasm of (the slightly dizzy) Meowth and Wooloo.

The first leg of the mission solidly completed, the two trainers return to their cups and hurtle down the second table, even allowing themselves an exhilirated laugh as the air rushes past their faces. The laughter only stops for a moment as one of the cups snags slightly on a spot of floor the polishers seem to have missed, and Meowth's trainer is quick to correct course for one of the gym's oversized boxing glove springs. Nothing a little push—or cartoonish haymaker, whichever—can't take care of.

The cup slides down the corridor toward the spring, and Meowth and trainer brace for impact as they near their target. The spring releases with an odd twanging sound as the cup hits the glove and shoots out at an unexpected angle, slamming the cup into the corridor wall with tooth-rattling force. It triggers again almost immediately, launching the cup up and out of the narrow passage far faster than the trainer can counteract and sending the two passengers on a carreening, ricocheting course back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and smack into the cup of Wooloo and his trainer as another spring's sucker punch rockets them down instead of sideways.

The teams that clatter to the bottom of the final table are bruised, battered and barely able to stand up straight, let alone keep their thoughts and strategies straight in a gym battle. Predictably, their battles with Bea go terribly; the gym leader's G-Max machamp dispatches poor Wooloo with just a flick of her massive finger, sending him rolling right out of the arena (and doing all of nothing to help the dizziness he still suffers). The defeated challengers leave the gym with heavy heads, their vision still spinning and their ears still full of the muttering of the disappointed crowd.

There's a lengthy delay while the Stow-on-Side Stadium officials investigate what went wrong with the springs and effect repairs. The group of friends is antsy as they worry about what might've happened and about the growing distance between them and other Pokémon League competitors who've traveled well past Stow-on-Side by now. They work their way through the gym mission and battle eventually, but head for the next town quite shaken by these puzzling events.

Well. Four of them are puzzled, anyway. The last two share covert smiles when the others aren't watching, even in spite of the bumps one of them took for the team. They've got these punks rattled now. Hopefully at the next gym, they'll shake these guys off Marnie's trail for good...

Mission 1 Results: SUCCEED, FAIL

Mission 1 has failed. Current score: Challengers 0 | Team Yell 1

Mission Leader List:
Keldeo
Butterfree
Stryke
qva
Panini
Chemist1422

Team Proposal Phase 2 begins now, and will end at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) on Tuesday, December 17th.

Mission 2 requires three team members to proceed. The current Mission Leader, Butterfree, must provide a final list of three player names by the phase deadline.

Oooh, spicy!

So I was wrong and Panini is Team Yell. Of course I'd say that if I was Team Yell and she was Resistance, but if I was Team Yell, I'm pretty sure I would have succeeded this mission to build trust. Even if the trust would be tempered, if I was the first leader, I would be put in teams later on based on the plan I posted in the thread, and I could frame someone else.

I still don't strongly think that Panini would ask me to change the team from me/qva if qva was her partner. Even though there's the line of thought that maybe she asked me to change the team just to make me think it's not qva... that would still be asking me to move away from a guaranteed Resistance/Spy team possibly to a Resistance/Resistance team. Also, if qva was a spy, posting that if you pick a spy in round one they usually choose succeed would make me think that would be an attempt to communicate to her partner what she should do, but Panini failed anyway? That's a lot more tenuous.

Either way, I'm like... at least more sure about her than anyone else that qva should be seen as clear, if you all think this argument against qva/Panini as a team makes sense. From your guys' point of view not knowing I'm Resistance, if we were partners I wouldn't choose her since double failing would be too much of a risk imo, so choosing her would lock us into the anti-win-con move of both succeeding the mission.

Also, the only thing I said in the thread about who I wanted to pick as a partner was that I didn't want the person to be right after me so that we could test people far apart. If Panini's strategy was to get me to change the other Resistance member in my team to a Spy, maybe it's less likely that she'd say what she did about Butterfree? The fact that Panini was where she was in the leader list means it'd at least be increasing their chances of getting someone in the first mission from 0 to something non-zero, no matter where her partner is. But Butterfree questioning Panini's logic makes me feel kind of decent about that?

I'm not 100% sure of either of those, but right now, I'd think the team is likelier Panini/Stryke and Panini/Chemist than Panini/qva or Panini/Butterfree. Uh, given the idea that Team Yell members have to communicate in the thread... maybe Chemist mentioning people being in conflict was an attempt to communicate to his partner to fail? idk, there's not a lot to go on.

(Also, really enjoying the flavor, Kratos!)

Hrrrmmm.

I had a pretty good feeling about Keldeo based on his sincere-sounding contributions, so Panini's my default side-eye here, but reading back I can see it being Keldeo too. Making a point about why he should place himself on the first team because then if it fails he can confirm the other person as Team Yell (though only from his own point of view of course).

All in all, I think the sensible thing to do here would probably be to send a team involving neither of them, unless someone particularly wants to persuade me otherwise. I'm not quite sure what to make of qva but I think I'm probably persuaded she's less likely than random to be Team Yell, given I still think it seems kind of contrived for Team Yell Keldeo to go pick his own partner for the first round, and Team Yell Panini specifically asking Keldeo to take her partner off the team would also be somewhat unusual.

Me/Stryke/qva? Me/Chemist/qva? Stryke/Chemist/qva? Thoughts?

I kinda wanna do a 2 just to be more safe, then do the other two afterwards

Assuming the team yell member fails, lemme run some odds:
2 -> 2 new: 100% chance of 1 success, 1 fail
3 -> 1 new, 1 round 2: 2/3 chance of 1 success, 1 fail, 1/3 chance of 0 success, 2 fail
3 -> 2 round 2: 25% chance of 2 success, 0 fail, 25% chance of 1 success, 1 fail, 50% chance of 0 success, 2 fail

This is all assuming that Keldeo/Panini aren't both Team Yell, which is the WCS

We could try three if we wanna play risky because a fail confirms the untested one as a resistance member but I don't really like that idea numerically

For mission two we need three members! The number of required members to complete the mission increases as we go, raising the difficulty.

oh

lemme redo that hold on

Chemist not giving an opinion on the conflict and sticking to math is noted and stuff. I don't know what it makes him.

Chemist, who do you think is more likely Team Yell between me and Panini?

imo, Butterfree, you should send you/Stryke/qva, or you/Chemist/qva? Keep in mind Team Yell only need two more failures to win...

I have no idea how to play this game so

math yeah

I don’t have a read on Panini so I’d need to see her reaction first

okay

sorry about popping in late in the phase, last week was kind of a hellscape for me and I'm still fried so I haven't hand the time to sit down and fully engage with anything

I generally agree from a math standpoint 3 new people probably beats out picking one from me/Keldeo in terms of chance

I think Keldeo had every intention of throwing a succeed and obtaining trust as a member of like "the base success" team based off of the strategy that he first presented in the thread and from there it was just going to be switching around additions until we got suspicious, but a combination of chem advocating for cycling through everyone before repeats alongside me asking for a partner switch set up provided him with the motive and opportunity to throw me under the bus instead.

I think the fact he's now proposing teams that contain both Butterfree and qva is suspicious and one of them is likely to be the other mole. I'm leaning it's qva
keldeo, my experience is that even if you pick a spy on round one, they often choose succeed anyway, just because it would be so obvious otherwise.
could have been signalling that she would pick succeed if Keldeo picked her, in which case they can both earn some cred without having to trade significant rounds. Also if it is Butterfree then we just got really unlikely and managed to get two spy leaders at the top of the order and that just seems hard to believe. (Although not entirely out of the question and bound to be a thing eventually with only 6 players)

I think Chem suggesting conflicting strategies against Keldeo makes them less likely to be aligned so he's the one I want to send the most. Stryke is kind of rand just by virtue of not saying anything but if we're picking 3 I think it might be worth taking the shot in the dark over the other two.

I think b-free and qva should definitely go

If there’s a fail in this round, the left out one is confirmed Resistance so we could try using this as a sort of alignment check on them

if keldeo and i were both spies and i was trying to get us both on the team to drop successes in order to build credit, why on earth would i do that by expressly saying that successes in the first round don’t necessarily say anything useful about alignment? that doesn’t make any sense.

i was thinking that maybe keldeo was attempting to pocket me before, but the fact that panini pushed him to change the team choice because it wasn’t random enough was already kind of odd, and then when he picked her unrandomly she didn’t even say anything about it (what luck!)... then we flip a fail. idk, if panini is a spy then i think everything she’s said so far would make sense so i’m kinda tapping my chin here. it could still be keldeo but i’m inclined to believe that what he’s said makes sense as resistance, not so much panini.

i’m ok with me/butterfree/whoever. leaning chemist if only because he’s been talking and there’s more information to evaluate there.

All right, I'm going to propose me/Chemist/qva (though I wish Stryke would talk).

(I wanted to make a more substantial post but it's relatively late and I still need to draw something before I go to bed and I just can't justify it, uuuugh why is time not)

(but very quickly I am still leaning Panini as the previous spy over Keldeo, for similar reasons as qva, not sure about the other)

All right, I'm going to propose me/Chemist/qva (though I wish Stryke would talk).

I'm still here but following what you guys are saying hurts my brain so I just trust your guys' decisions. I guess since I'm gonna be the next mission leader, I should probably stop doing that, but it's not like I really have a better idea for who to send anyways. If you guys want to send me on a mission, I have no problem going.

Team Proposal Phase 2 has ended. Mission Phase 2 begins now, and will end at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) on Friday, December 20th.

Mission Leader Butterfree's proposed team for Mission 1 is Butterfree, qva and Chemist1422.

All players, please send me a PM containing either "Accept" or "Reject" by the phase deadline.

Butterfree, qva and Chemist1422, also include either "Succeed" or "Fail" in your PMs to me.

Mission 2, Ballonlea - Proposal 1 (Butterfree, qva, Chemist1422):
Accept: Keldeo, Butterfree, Stryke, qva, Panini, Chemist1422
Reject: N/A

Butterfree, qva and Chemist1422 proceed to the Ballonlea Gym Mission!

Ballonlea is a welcome sight after the mazy trek through the Glimwood Tangle. The gently glowing mushrooms that festoon every surface certainly feel much more relaxing now that there are no wild Morgrem or Shiinotic lurking behind them, waiting to ensnare the unwary. It's a beautiful place for the group of young challengers to catch their breath and really drive the confusion (and bruises) of the events of Stow-on-Side from their minds. A day or two of rest and calm and watching friendly Chinchou drift by the Pokémon Center windows, and the trainers and their partners at last feel refreshed and ready to see what Opal has in store for them.

Even with the soothing atmosphere Wooloo and Meowth's trainers are still feeling that slightest bit gun-shy after their rough ride, so this time it's three new contenders who march (mostly) boldly into Ballonlea Stadium, their Arctozolt, Ponyta and Sirfetch'd by their sides. Perhaps those two shouldn't have worried, though; the trainers step into the stadium to find themselves on what appears to be a simple stage, lights shining down so that the sole person seated in the "audience"—Gym Leader Opal herself—can see their every action. What's going on? Did the hidden hooligans get here first after all and trash the normal challenge? But Opal reassures them that this is all her own doing, and that the challengers should be more concerned with impressing her than fussing over those Team Yell characters her staff has already been warned about. She taps the clipboard in her hand and gestures for one of her gym trainers to take the stage, and the battle is quickly underway.

...and just as quickly halted as the trainer looks Sirfetch'd's partner straight in the eye and demands to know whether the fairy type is weak to poison or to steel. Sirfetch'd almost drops her leek mid-strike, and the startled trainer stares for a few seconds before blurting out "steel" (either would've worked, they realize later, but they were flustered in the moment), but both collect themselves quickly and, question satisfactorily answered and Slurpuff satisfactorily stabbed, they go on to sweep through the rest of the mission with relative ease. As do the other two pairs after them, even though Arctozolt takes issue with the question her trainer was posed. How on earth were they supposed to know what some random woman ate for breakfast? (Also, clearly this lady is eating the wrong things for breakfast! Hot, fresh curry is the best thing for warming up in the mornings. Almost as good as a nice, fluffy scarf.)

So it's off to the battle with Opal, and the challengers are confident now that they've gotten used to the sudden trivia questions and there's no obvious sign of interference so far. Their battles are fierce, well-fought and, in the end, well-won, Opal's massive Alcremie collapsing into a pile of fondant and toppings before each Pokémon in turn. Ponyta's trainer is feeling so good that they even give Opal a roguish wink and assure her that she couldn't possibly be a day over sixteen. The gym leader gives them all appraising looks as she hands them their prizes, ultimately dismissing two of them but telling Ponyta's partner that she might just be in touch later. Fairy Badges in hand, the group heads back out to their waiting friends, still a little baffled by the bizarre mission but reassured that it wasn't Team Yell's doing. That's all just a bit too weird, even for those clowns.

The friends call the Corviknight Taxi service to take them back to Hammerlocke once they've all finished, already thinking about the warm clothes (and perhaps an extra scarf for Arctozolt) they'll need to buy before heading off to Circhester. Unseen by the others, the Team Yell grunts in their midst sigh. How were they supposed to sabotage a quiz, of all things? Oh, well. Marnie must be well past Circhester by now, so the next mission will surely be ripe for the ruining.

Mission 2 Results: SUCCEED, SUCCEED, SUCCEED

Mission 2 has succeeded. Current score: Challengers 1 | Team Yell 1

Last edited:

Mission Leader List:
Keldeo
Butterfree
Stryke
qva
Panini
Chemist1422

Team Proposal Phase 3-1 begins now, and will end at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) on Tuesday, December 24th. An extension will be granted for the following voting/mission phase since it falls over Christmas; if you think you'll also need an extension for this phase, let me know.

Mission 3 requires four team members to proceed. The current Mission Leader, Stryke, must provide a final list of four player names by the phase deadline.

Last edited:

yayyy!

going with the same team seems like the safest option, right?

Back
Top Bottom