• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

If a battle is reffed within one week of the last set of commands being posted, there is a $1 bonus per pokémon on the field ($2 for most battles, $4 for a double battle in which all pokémon are still active, etc.). If it has been more than two weeks since commands were last posted, the round is instead worth half its normal value. These modifications are independent of when money for the reffing is actually claimed--you could wait weeks to claim a round without taking a monetary penalty on it, provided that the round was originally posted within two weeks of the last set of commands.

What about e-reffings? In particular, the round the new referee takes over?

E-reffings should be out within one week of you saying you'll take the battle. Obviously it would make no sense to count from when commands were posted.

... Why? He still has to write three Pokémon, but he gets paid as if one of them didn't exist? That doesn't seem fair. (Also the arena description specifies that the wild Pokémon gives exp, but I can't see it fainting in four rounds anyway.)

Hmm, not something that was cleared with me before it was posted, then.

If the pokémon is being treated as a full opponent in every way, you can take the money for it, but this should not be happening in battles anyway.

Okay, the new guidelines for becoming a referee have been added to the first post, as well as the first ref quiz.

I'm thinking it's about time to roll over the ref test. Therefore, I'm soliciting questions. If you want to contribute a question or two, just PM it to me; you need not provide an answer. If you're planning to take the test, you might get a little bit of an edge, since it may include one or two questions you're (I hope) guaranteed to get right. It also means the new test will probably be available sooner.

On the other hand, if you were planning to (re)take the test, you're going to want to get on that pretty soon.

I'm thinking it's about time to roll over the ref test. Therefore, I'm soliciting questions. If you want to contribute a question or two, just PM it to me; you need not provide an answer. If you're planning to take the test, you might get a little bit of an edge, since it may include one or two questions you're (I hope) guaranteed to get right. It also means the new test will probably be available sooner.

On the other hand, if you were planning to (re)take the test, you're going to want to get on that pretty soon.

A new ref test is available in the first post. Thanks to pathos for question 15, and to sreservoir for submitting a question, although it was too complex to be used.

Below is the previous test, with answers. Seven people attempted this one, and three eventually passed.

1. If a player receives a DQ warning, what should you do in addition to posting a warning in the battle thread?

Send them a PM and/or VM about it.

2. Last round, player A attacked first, and their pokémon used trick room. Who attacks first this round, player A or player B?

A

3. A chansey is sent into battle and is knocked out by its opponent without managing to KO any pokémon. What prize(s) does it receive at the end of the battle?

1 EXP, 1 happiness.

4. In a 3vs3 set single battle, a player's first pokémon uses U-turn. Does it switch out or not?

It does.

5. You're reffing a battle with a damage cap of 35%. One of the pokémon in battle has taken 33% damage already from its opponent, and on its last action, it makes a 10% substitute. After that, it takes no further damage. How much will its health decrease this round overall?

43%

6. A charmander with no speed modifiers uses double team. How many clones does it make, and how much energy does it use to make them?

I accepted between 4 and 6, for as much energy.

7. An electrike uses thunderbolt on a wingull. What multiplier is applied to the attack's damage as a result of type matchups?

2x

8. A skorupi uses poison sting against an opponent and scores a critical hit. How much extra damage does the attack deal to the opponent, assuming the opponent isn't immune to poison attacks? How much extra would it deal if the skorupi's ability were sniper?

1%, 10% with sniper.

9. In a double battle, a pokémon uses blizzard to strike both its opponents. What base power is blizzard considered to have?

10. A pokémon uses thunder wave on a target that is already badly poisoned. Assuming the target is not immune to paralysis or electric attacks, what happens?

It becomes paralyzed in addition to being poisoned.

11. Name one attack that has an upkeep energy cost.

Reflect, light screen, or safeguard.

12. A trainer uses two pokémon in a single battle, both of them holding lucky eggs. One manages to KO one opposing pokémon, and the other is knocked out before it can KO any opponents. How much EXP do they each get?

1 EXP and 3 EXP, respectively.

13. In a double battle, two pokémon gang up on an opponent that has a substitute. One uses thunder wave. The other uses encore. At the end of the action, is the pokémon with the substitute encored, paralyzed, both, or neither?

Enored.

14. In a battle with a 40% damage cap and no banned moves, a pokémon uses horn drill. If the attack hits its target, how much damage will it do?

Enough for the target to hit the cap (40% also accepted).

15. A magikarp uses splash in battle. What does the attack do?

Nothing.

"If a ninjask holds a choice scarf, is raised to +6 speed, and gains the ability chlorophyll, how much energy would it use to create a maximum number of clones from double team under the effects of both sunny day and tailwind?"

...holy shit res that's pretty complex for a rookie. I'm going to find out just to see if I can get the right answer.

Extra credit would be cool though. No idea how you'd manage it, maybe a few extra ASBucks.

There are several possible answers to that question, based on the scale the ref uses. I'll answer it with mine.

Assuming +1 speed means +10 stat points, and a pokemon can make one Double Team clone for every 12 speed points, it could invest, normally, 100% energy. Or theoretically 112% energy if it was one of those special battles in which pokemon start with more than 100% energy. Calculated by:

((160+6n)*6)/s

where n = # of speed points for one clone, s = How many points are added to Speed upon a +1 boost.

Back
Top Bottom