• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mental Institution Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Sea Turtle

oooh, better hope they're not uneven in there...
Pronoun
he
Mental Institution Mafia
----------------------------
Welcome to the Markus B. Zergenbaum Home for the Clinically Unstable, where the young and old who have some reason to be separated from normal society can come and live out the rest of their days in relative peace and quiet. Unfortunately, just the other day a shipment of insane people were brought to the Home, and one managed to sneak a gun in. By the next day, old Zergenbaum was lying on the floor in his office, extremely dead. So, the remaining patrons did all they could do...lock everyone up in a room somewhere, grab some lynching equipment, and hope that through a long and laborious process involving many deaths and quite a bit of insanity, the rest would just solve itself. Unfortunately, the janitor fled to a remote island when Zergenbaum died, so all three rooms of the Home ended up still unlocked. And the rest will resolve itself soon enough...
--------------------------------
This game of Mafia aims to do something never done before to my knowledge (and be ridiculously complicated in the process): There are 3 different rooms that anyone can occupy at a given time, and people are allowed to communicate at night with anyone in their room (daytime communication is still everyone, though). Also, instead of conducting their normal night action, anyone can simply move rooms. Night actions can only target people in your room. When someone dies, the room they died in is not revealed. Yes, that means the Mafia has to be very, very cautious because people can escape them. But don't worry--movement is the last thing to happen at the night, so if you target me and I move into a different room, I'll die first. Anyway...here are the roles.

The Mafia:
The Man with the Gun: This poor fellow had a mental breakdown a few years back, and now he's convinced himself that the only way to carry on is by making sure that no one else does. He is the leader of the Mafia faction, and once per night kills someone. If he dies, another Mafia member will pick up the gun and inherit his role, while keeping all other powers.

The Woman with the Leopard-Print Taser: This lady ended up in the same clinically-insane boat that the man with the gun did, only she has more style in weapons than he does. Four times in the game, she can stun someone with the taser, preventing them from changing rooms for this night and the next.

The 10-Year Old with the Magic Wand: Poor Jimmy had abandonment issues as a child, and after retreating into a fictional world at his local orphanage was carted here, were he struck up a deal with the man with the gun. Once during the game, he can call upon his obscure magical powers to completely randomize the night--everyone will move to a random room, and their night actions will target someone randomly in that room. Even other members of the Mafia.

The Man with the Bowler Hat: This man makes his living by frightening the living daylights out of other people with his bowler hat and vaguely stalker-ish tendencies. Every night, he can choose someone in his room to intimidate, causing their night action to fail.

The Patients:
The Old Lady with the Cane: This old lady has her head stuck in Toy Story, and every night can wield her cane Mary Bo-Peep style to yank someone else to her, targeting her with any night action that would target them. The cane'd person's night action still works as normal.

The Teenager with the Pet Dinosaur: Never let a sopping wet child too close to a live wire. It tends to cause problems--like dinosaur-related hallucinations, for example. Once during the game, he can let out a mighty roar that totally came from his pet dino, Steve, which will cancel out all other night actions going on in his room. However, it will also reveal what room he is in, but not his identity.

The Doctor with the Lantern: This poor staff member of the Home is in way over his head; his internship actually ended a month ago but he felt sorry for the people here and so decided to keep working the graveyard shift. Lucky for him, as he has the ability to check up on someone else, learning their alignment. Furthermore, unlike everybody else, the doctor can move and inspect someone, on account of his lantern. Somehow.

The Doctor with the Hypodermic Needle: She's technically in charge now that Dr. Zergenbaum dropped dead of a bullet wound to the face, but she really wants to have a life outside of these crazies. So, every night she walks around with a loaded syringe, and 3 times in the game she can sedate one other person, preventing them from participating in the day discussion.

The War Veteran with the Walkie-Talkie: No one is entirely sure what war this old coot lived through, and he certainly won't talk about it. Fortunately, he brought with him a relic of the war--two old-fashioned walkie-talkies. At the beginning of the game, he chooses one other person to give a walkie-talkie to. No matter their previous alignments, the two of them win by being the last two alive. Furthermore, the two can communicate at night whether or not they are in the same room. However, if either one of the two dies, the other one will die the next night, after realizing that the magic box thing has betrayed them.

The Small Child with the Toy Train: He likes trains. A lot. To the point of obsession. Three times in the game, he can use his vaguely established train-related powers to transport someone else into a different room. Unlike normal movement, this happens before other night actions, so the train rider will avoid death, for instance.

The Man with Bipolar Disorder: This poor man has bipolar depression sped up to such a rapid pace that he can barely think straight. As such, on alternating nights he will either kill someone out of a deep state of depression, or steal pills for them (for the challenge) that will protect them from death for the night. The player picks which he'd like to do first.

The Little Girl with Anger Management Issues: This small piece of work was institutionalized after blowing up half a boarding school because someone insulted her pigtails. As a result, people tend to give her a wide berth. She cannot be targeted by the cane, the taser, the train, or the needle, as she will whine and protest to the point where the person gives up and leaves. Also, the first time she is targeted to be killed by the Mafia or the man with bipolar disorder, she will live by screaming and waking everybody up, also informing them what room she's in. The second time, the killer will have the idea of sneaking up behind her, so she'll go down normally.

The Man with the Handlebar Mustache: Much like the man with the bowler hat, this man was institutionalized for reasons related to stalking. But unlike the man with the bowler hat, he is slightly more subtle about it (even if there is nothing subtle about his impressive mustache). At the start of the game, he picks two other people. If all three of the man with the handlebar mustache and his two targets are in a room at the same time, the man kills the other two. Note that the man with the handlebar mustache cannot pick two people that start in the same room as him, because he can't afford to be too obvious.

The Woman Shuffling the Deck of Tarot Cards and Muttering to Herself: This lady was picked up by the Home after an incident involving a crystal ball, a satanic ritual, and breakfast cereal. She lives out the rest of her days in a half-trance, shuffling a deck of tarot cards in the corner of whatever room she happens to be in. Every night, she chooses someone to protect with a mystical aura from her tarot cards, shielding them from death for the night. This protection and the pills from the man with bipolar depression together cause no adverse side effects. However, two nights after a successful tarot shield occurs, the spirits of fortune will steal the soul of the protected target, causing them to die.

The Alien:
The Old Man who is Scarily Good at Sleepwalking: This man spends all of his life in a constant sleepwalking trance. It's likely better that way--the last time he woke up, he threw a car at someone, and proceeded to fall back asleep. If inspected, he will show up as innocent. Unless, of course, he is targeted for death by either the Mafia or the man with bipolar disorder. Then, he will wake up in time to fend off the attackers. While awake, he will be identified as mafia, and if he is voted to be lynched while awake, he will go crazy, destroying the entire Home and killing everyone else in it, rendering him the victor.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This sounds interesting, but a bit confusing. Let me get things straight.

1) You may do your night action or move rooms, but not both.
2) Rooms have no effect during the day; only during the night.
3) If sedated by the Doctor with the Hypodermic Needle, do we know of his or her sedation, or do we rely on the fact he or she is being unusually silent?
4) What room do we begin in?

I'm confused about one thing: how does the communication-in-room thing work out?

(Also, why is no one in hear diseased with folie a duex? *winkwink*)

(Also, why is no one in here diseased with folie a duex? *winkwink*)

And to a greater extent, is nobody here diagnosed with more, errr, orthodox, psychiatric disorders, i.e. dissociative identity disorder, antisocial personality disorder, paranoid/catatonic schizophrenia, etc.? A role with dissociative identity disorder would be a lot of fun, methinks.

I'm fine with these rolenames. They remind me of Clue. "The Man killed Zergenbaum in the Lobby with the Gun." =D

Last edited:
Also, do we know who are in our room, or do we have to guess? And do you die of Tarot death every time, or only if you were going to be killed anyway?

To answer all questions before this topic closes:

-Yes, you may move or conduct your night action, not both, unless you are the Doctor with the Lantern who may move and conduct his night action (in that order, he can't inspect and then move)
-Rooms are only to inspire night communication and more odd roles. They serve no effect on day discussion.
-You learn of who is being sedated by the Doctor with the Needle.
-I will post the rooms when I get the topic up and running.
-Rooms only affect night communication; unless you have a walkie-talkie, you can only communicate with people in your room via PM. Even if you're Mafia. It's like essentially having 3 additional topics in the game.
-This is a test run of rooms. If this works (and judging by the 16 entrants it's OK), I'm going to come up with some devilish roles. You have my word on that. ^_^
-The Tarot cards only steal a soul if the successfully blocked a death, it's not a free delayed kill every night.
-Also, since there are now 16 entrants and 15 roles, one of you will receive a mystery role. Actually, it's just a different role idea I had, but still. It's cooler to keep people in the dark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom