• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Wi-Fi Connection Help

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
Need help with setting up/configuring Wi-Fi? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Be sure to check any manuals you have access to before asking about installation problems; chances are, we can only provide the most general help with things like routers, as we won't understand how your specific brand works.

If we are unable to answer your questions satisfactorily, check out the official Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection site: www.nintendowifi.com

Last edited:
Yeah, I have everything set up for the WFC, except that my router is set up with a WPA security thing, and the WFC requires WEP security. The thing is, my Mom's laptop has WPA, and when I switch it to WEP, the internet is disconnected. Is there any solution? T__T

Switching the laptop isn't going to do anything except change how well the laptop itself connects to the router. Do you mean you changed the router to WEP security? There are different types of WEP security options, so you'll need to make sure you're using the right kind, that you choose the right length password if you choose an option that requires a password (and you should)... what exactly did you try?

Switching the laptop isn't going to do anything except change how well the laptop itself connects to the router. Do you mean you changed the router to WEP security? There are different types of WEP security options, so you'll need to make sure you're using the right kind, that you choose the right length password if you choose an option that requires a password (and you should)... what exactly did you try?

The router gives the PC it's connected to internet, as well as the laptop that is usually in the next room. I changed the router to WEP security to set up the WFC, and then tried to set it up on the laptop, as well.

I believe I changed the router to... 64-Bit WEP? It requires a 10-digit security code. I put the code into the laptop under "Shared" (under which WEP showed up) and entered the code, and the internet still didn't work.

Please tell me if I'm still not explaining clearly. ^_^;;

My wi-fi connector has been increasingly schizophrenic of late, so today I uninstalled it and tried to put a fresh install of it on my computer. However, all attempts to do so have resulted in installation proceeding to the "Setting up connection sharing" stage, followed by an error message that reads "Internet sharing error.(6)," which causes the installation to display "application error" and then shut down.

A look into my device manager reveals that the connector shows up under network adapters, all drivers are installed, and the device is reported to be "working properly." So the connector itself is supposedly fine, but I can't get the registration program that controls it to install completely.

The network and sharing center on the computer tells me that there's a problem with the shared connection the adapter is trying to use, but says mysteriously that all I can do about it is "contact my network administrator," which is extremely unhelpful (knowing well the competency of my network administrator) and annoying because it worked just fine with the school network last year. Admittedly I haven't really tried fooling around with the connection settings a great deal yet to see if something got borked, somehow, when I uninstalled the previous adapter version, but I'm not optimistic.

Any help appreciated, obviously.

Hm. I have a router, not the USB thing, so I've never had to install it. I found this, though. I guess you could see if that helps?

This thread has slightly different instructions toward the end, I think, so there's also that.

Internet sharing error.(6)

Could be a firewall, a conflict between IP's, or you might lack sufficient privelages to set it up. (assuming you're on a school network/computer)

I'm pretty sure i've had that error at least twice before, just it was a while ago and I did heaps of random crap to try and fix it.

The admin computer hosting the connection could have cut the internet sharing, or could have configured the firewall's filtration system to a higher level.

I just want to let Negrek know that I've had the same problem recently, and that the last post in the second link that Kratos has provided has worked for me, so you should really try that.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, because my computer kept thinking that the Wi-fi Connector was a router.

OKAY so after much hatred I believe that I have found the source of the problem, but I'm still not entirely sure how to fix it.

I was having problems because although I would check the internet sharing boxes during setup after receiving the Error 6 as described, when I ran the set-up program again they appeared unchecked instead. After trying variations on this theme a few times, I chose to check both boxes on the Internet Sharing window, then restart my computer with my USB connector in place. When I opened the network thing again, it once again showed both boxes unchecked. When I went to check them this time, though, I received a message I hadn't previously:

"When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on the network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, you should set them to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you wish to enable Internet Connection Sharing?"

To which my response was, "Why did you not effing tell me this a long time ago," because of course 192.168.0.1 is one of the two IP addresses with which the wi-fi adapter is not compatible, and explains why I got a "Invalid IP Configuration" message when I tried diagnosing my USB adapter's network when I had sharing, however briefly, enabled earlier. However, because Nintendo's support section appears to be of the opinion that this could only possibly happen if you're a router, it gives unhelpful instructions for how to change this router's IP address. I apparently need to change the LAN's IP address somehow, or cause the connection sharing to set it up with a different IP. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Any suggestions?

(This would be easier if I could just CHANGE THE IP ON THE ACTUAL CONNECTOR THANKS NINTENDO.)

Well, I know the general procedure for changing a router's IP, or at least know how to go about finding it, but that doesn't help. Since I'm assuming you're still at school... what sort of connection do you have there? Is it wireless or wired? Either way, I'm not sure you'd have access to settings like that to be able to change them. Ask the school's IT people about what you can do, I guess? :/

Wired, but if I understand things correctly the school's network should be irrelevant. What the Internet Sharing thing does is turn my computer into the main server for its own network. I don't think there's any conflict with the school's network (the IP of which is of course something totally different). So far as I can tell, the settings are local on this machine.

I know some of the people in IT, which is why I'm not entirely optimistic about getting much help on that end. :P

Right, right, of course... so what is your computer's current IP address/gateway, then? I think I might've found something, but that's assuming I'm understanding it properly.

Ah, well, that still doesn't help. I got nothing, then. I found a way to change your IP address, but if the problem is that the IPs are supposed to be different then they already are and what I found isn't going to do any good.

If that isn't what the problem is, or if you just want to give it a shot anyway, it's here and here. Don't know how much help those would be.

Well, it gives me an idea of where to start, anyway. What I'm looking to change is not my ethernet IP address, but this guy:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.1%17(Preferred)

Which is "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9," or so it would appear. Anyway, I'll take a look at those tomorrow when I have some free time, though to be honest, this is looking increasingly tempting.

That would make sense, yeah, but given that everything I'd seen so far was talking about changing the router's gateway IP to work with the connector I assumed it'd be the same for the computer. Ah, well. Good luck with whatever you try.

//My Computer's Connection// (Local Area Connection)
Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

//My Wi-Fi USB Connection// (Local Area Connection 9)
Address Type: Manually Configured
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:
--

I'm pretty sure (Local Area Connection 9) means we've reinstalled the USB Connector 9 times, because we're both idiots. Rofl.

I'm connected to the router via patchlead, i'm pretty sure that a wireless router's signal would render a USB Connector completely useless. When you install the USB connector, it's supposed to be assigned to the lowest# IP that's not in use.

Here's a few things you should try (in order).

1. Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click "Local Area Connection 9" > Properties > Advanced(tab) > Windows Firewall [Settings] > Off (Not Recommended) > Ok.

2. Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Double-click "Local Area Connection 9" > Support(tab) > [Repair]

3. Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click "Local Area Connection 9" > Disable > Wait for 15 seconds > Right-click "Local Area Connection 9" > Enable.

Sorry if I made it look really dumbed down rofl, but I think that looks fairly straight forward.. Do those three things and let me know what happens.

I personally wouldn't attempt messing with a school router.

Back
Top Bottom