• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

Yeah, I was thinking that if we could hammer out moves that paralysis wouldn't affect, truant would largely permit the same moves (in the non-damaging category at least). Truant would be a little more permissive since you can actively relax while it's harder to relax when your muscles are locked up tense, but a lot of similar principles would apply.

Might be a good idea to figure how it might relate to statuses that block actions though. If it's been immobilised by paralysis or attraction, that should count as the loafing around action so that you're not required to take an action for that. For confusion it doesn't make as much sense to do that though.

Nngh. Paralysis shouldn't affect non-moving attacks, basically? Listing all of those would be impossible. Maybe excluding physical attacks even if they're non-contact?

While we're nixing things, can we undo the ruling about Double Team clones not having shadows? Like, it makes Double Team completely uninteresting when you can literally add "target the one with no shadow" to every command (unless you're using a blind thing I guess but Zubat could echolocate to make up for it and idk who else is blind... Deino I guess) and like... there's really no point to it? It's just kind of an irritating thing to have to remember.

Also in favor of 1.25x/0.8x Defeatist instead of a flat boost, just because it makes more sense flavor-wise and also make it match abilities like Hustle. Don't think flat boots math would be a problem though -- as long as the flavortext specify when the flat boost should be applied, it's probably fine.

Yeah, I was thinking that if we could hammer out moves that paralysis wouldn't affect, truant would largely permit the same moves (in the non-damaging category at least). Truant would be a little more permissive since you can actively relax while it's harder to relax when your muscles are locked up tense, but a lot of similar principles would apply.

Seems like a necessary but not sufficient clause. Hyper Beam, for example, is an attack that's largely unaffected by paralysis*. Hyper Beam is probably a lot more effort than what a Truant Pokemon is willing to do though.

What if Traunt Pokemon can only use moves under a certain energy cost (say, only 2% or less), as well as a few extra special "lazy" moves like Slack Off, Yawn, Rest, Snore, and Sleep Talk? Not sure if this will limit the movepool too much though.

I think making Pokemon with Truant have one action with low priority would also be a pretty cool way of handling this.

*Dependent on the ref. I personally would always give every move a chance of failure, even Hyper Beam, just because muscle cramps can be distracting/make it harder to aim/so on and so forth. Hyper Beam would have a smaller chance of failure than something that requires full-body movement though.

Most moves require a little movement to get started, and I think those should be allowed under paralysis too. For physicals, anything that doesn't trigger the burn attack drop (rock slide and EQ normally, for example), and for specials... well, most of them should be fine, but not petal dance and what not. It shouldn't be regarded as something that locks up your body so much as relevant limbs twitching too much for you to move around or have any finesse, but you can thwack the ground to trigger earthquake or raise your head to use an ice beam. It's enough guidance for any ref to be able to make judgement calls that are probably consistent across battles and such, and it's not overly unfair to physical attackers.

Approval at nixing double team being useless against everyone who remembers that bit of lore.

For truant, I meant that non-movement moves that are non-damaging are permitted, so you can't attack at all that action but there's a selection of non-attacking things you could do. So any non-attack that you can do under paralysis, you can do under truant.

What if Traunt Pokemon can only use moves under a certain energy cost (say, only 2% or less), as well as a few extra special "lazy" moves like Slack Off, Yawn, Rest, Snore, and Sleep Talk? Not sure if this will limit the movepool too much though.

I think making Pokemon with Truant have one action with low priority would also be a pretty cool way of handling this.

How about 4% (?) and moves are at -6 priority? And no damaging attacks?

While we're nixing things, can we undo the ruling about Double Team clones not having shadows? Like, it makes Double Team completely uninteresting when you can literally add "target the one with no shadow" to every command (unless you're using a blind thing I guess but Zubat could echolocate to make up for it and idk who else is blind... Deino I guess) and like... there's really no point to it? It's just kind of an irritating thing to have to remember.
i agree with this because it makes double team almost entirely useless. i feel like there are more than enough moves that can block double team (hail/rain/sandstorm, perfect-accuracy moves, odour sleuth, snatch, etc.) and it just seems kind of ... unstrategic to block the use of double team without actually doing anything. Once someone knows you can just ignore double team clones without shadows you can both prevent it and counter it just by adding 'hit the clone with a shadow' to your commands, which isn't actually very strategic at all. no other moves are allowed to be side-stepped so easily; imagine if you could counter any other move just by saying 'if they use flamethrower, just move out of the way' and not using up a conditional or something?

this also makes no sense flavour-wise... if it's that easy to tell a clone from a real pokemon, why would anyone ever bother using double team?

@Weather indoors:
Eh, I'm not not too fond of the idea. I've always thought that weather moves should change the actual weather of the arena, not just give everyone their own personal rain cloud. It just seems grander this way?

If you're IN SPACE or something where there's no actual weather, just make a clause in the battlefield descriptions about how magical rainclouds/miniature suns/random sandstorms/etc will show up if you wanna use weather moves. The net effect is the same.

This is less of a mechanics problem and more of a flavortext thing, but standardizing it would be nice...

...how long has "no weather indoors" actually even been a rule? I always just figured people banned it themselves in their challenges if they didn't think it made sense. And what's wrong with just doing that?

I dunno, it just feels odd for the rules/database themselves to place a default ban on a move that requires the player to make an exception if they want it to happen. Especially since making that exception is so trivial, you know? This is ASB! Battles can happen under any circumstances the challenger wants! The validity of any given move (or at least most moves, idk maybe there is some kind of reasonable exception somewhere) in any given arena should be up to the players, not the descriptions in the DB or whatever—otherwise, what's the point of allowing players to make those exceptions at all?

Why is the number of actions until Future Sight hits randomized? Can we just make it two actions later like in the games? (Also can we specify two of the target's actions or two of the user's actions or what?)

It's randomised specifically because Negrek didn't want it to be completely predictable. I think wish had the same logic.

It would be two time-wise actions though, future sight hits "between" actions so it can't be blocked by protect and the like.

It's randomised specifically because Negrek didn't want it to be completely predictable. I think wish had the same logic.

It would be two time-wise actions though, future sight hits "between" actions so it can't be blocked by protect and the like.

so, at the end of the second action after it was used, then.

@Weather indoors:
Eh, I'm not not too fond of the idea. I've always thought that weather moves should change the actual weather of the arena, not just give everyone their own personal rain cloud. It just seems grander this way?

If you're IN SPACE or something where there's no actual weather, just make a clause in the battlefield descriptions about how magical rainclouds/miniature suns/random sandstorms/etc will show up if you wanna use weather moves. The net effect is the same.

This is less of a mechanics problem and more of a flavortext thing, but standardizing it would be nice...

I agree that making weather allowable anywhere is a bit odd flavour-wise, but it's much more of a headache to specify that they're allowed in all your challenges (since weather is very rarely banned).

Time to kick a dead horse a little, and as it were, die as a result. Destiny Bond -- it currently lasts until the end of the action, which makes it flat useless if the slower Pokémon is using it. Even in the games, it lasts until the user's next action, specifically. A minor fix may be in order.

Why does Marvel Scale activation cost upkeep? It makes sense for Reflect since it's consciously being held up by the user, but I've always thought of abilities as being instinctive for the Pokémon...

This may or may not be shameless plugging for the leaderboard (which I run), but I'd like to propose an MVP trophy of some sort to the player who ends the year #1 in the overall rankings.

Can we make the choice items either much cheaper or less shitty? Like who would ever even use a choice item legitimately except to try to Trick onto an opponent (and the opponent could just discard it after a few actions anyway)?

Back
Top Bottom