• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

JackPK vs. Eifie

Solar Beam and pray. Pray so hard.

If that doesn't work and you are miraculously still alive enough to use any more moves, Giga Drain.

Gwen: Solar Beam ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

Jack: Contemplate how spiders can learn Grass-type attacks

JackPK (O)
spinarak
Gwen (f) <Insomnia>
Health: 2%
Energy: 61%
Affection: 10
Currently: Barely hanging on. +1 Special Defense, +3 Super Evasion (1 fades at 11, 1 fades at 12, 1 fades at 14).
Commands: Solar Beam ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain
pumpkaboo JackPK @Deluxe Citrus Puff: 92 health / 90 energy / Used: destruction of fingernails

Eifie (O)
swinub
Cherry Coke (m) <Oblivious> @ Lucky Egg
Health: 9%
Energy: 63%
Affection: 7
Currently: Cursing the spoctopus. Maybe he should start a speme? +1 Accuracy. +1 Super Evasion (fades when affection = 11). Paralyzed (severe: 25% chance of failure, 25% speed, 3% more energy for movement for 2 or more actions).
Commands: Ice Shard x3
espeon Eifie @Fancy Mint Puff: 87 health / -8913 energy / Used: ultimate destruction of fingernails

Field Notes
-The sun is shining brightly (1 more action).
-The ground is pockmarked with some small and large holes. Some hailstones and other chunks of ice have fallen into them and started to melt under the intense sunlight.
-A large, lopsided triangle of grass has been withered and sheared away by Gwen's Solar Beam.
-A berry tree nearby has grown a whole lot of berries. New kinds pop up every few seconds.
-The ground is cracked and rubbled, and jagged rocks poke out at varied intervals.

Round 6

This is it. The final battle. The ultimate confrontation. The conclusive engagement. Both Pokemon are tired, and the tension is so thick, you could cut through it with a… hot butter knife? (Wait, how does that saying go again?) Cherry Coke grits his nonexistent teeth and tries to work through his spasms (spider spasms), while Gwen tenses her legs and prepares to exercise her shiny Super Duper Evasion. The referee repeats "This is it" in case someone didn't hear her the first time. Then the flags are down, and Cherry Coke loads the Adorable Cannon with a single, tiny, sharpened icicle in double-time. It's shaped like a fingernail, for symbolism or meta or something. The tension gets thicker. Nothing moves, except for Eifie, who is silently crying.

Then Cherry Coke fires his Adorable Cannon, and the nail hurtles towards Gwen. In a movie, this would be when the scene slows down or pauses so that the viewers can admire the fingernail/icicle hurtling towards Gwen. In a comic book, there would be something like five separate frames dedicated to the fingernail/icicle hurtling towards Gwen, because that's just how important this scene is. In a video game, this would fade into a cutscene where the protagonist and their teammates say something inspirational or thematic before taking down the big boss with a fingernail beam or something. But this isn't a movie or a comic book or a video game, so Gwen just faces down the nail hurtling towards her and thinks up some good nail puns for her to say if it misses. Then it hits her, the last straw on one completely exhausted Spinarak's back, and she slips into nothingness--but not before muttering her best one: "Nailed it."

After a few seconds of waiting for Gwen in a very professional and referee-like manner (laughing, in other words), the referee lowers one flag to indicate that Gwen has fainted, and JackPK and Eifie recall their Pokemon, shake hands, and exchange some good-natured nail puns before teleporting back to ASB Central to claim their prizes from the battle.

JackPK (x)
spinarak
Gwen (f) <Insomnia>
Health: 0%
Affection: 11
Currently: Fainted as a doornail.
Used: nothing
pumpkaboo JackPK @Deluxe Citrus Puff: 92 health / 90 energy / Used: wonder how spiders can learn Grass type moves

Eifie (O)
swinub
Cherry Coke (m) <Oblivious> @ Lucky Egg
Health: 9%
Affection: 8
Currently: Conscious as a... okay, that one doesn't work.
Used: Ice Shard
espeon Eifie @Fancy Mint Puff: 87 health / -8913 energy / Used: cry

Field Notes
-The ground is pockmarked with some small and large holes. Some hailstones and other chunks of ice have fallen into them and started to melt under the intense sunlight.
-A large, lopsided triangle of grass has been withered and sheared away by Gwen's Solar Beam.
-A berry tree nearby has grown a whole lot of berries. New kinds pop up every few seconds.
-The ground is cracked and rubbled, and jagged rocks poke out at varied intervals.

Action Notes
-Gwen's affection from the beginning of the round would have quartered Solar Beam's energy cost, but she fainted before she could use it. Cherry Coke's affection from the beginning of the round gave him a boost in Super Evasion. Gwen fainted when she was hit with Ice Shard.
-Alright, here's my opinion regarding the Amie boosts of the arena if you do revise it for another battle, Jack: I guess I'd say that even though both of you played with your Pokemon lots, neither one reached the highest tier (20+), which would take at least four-five rounds of solid affection work to get to by my calculations, during which your opponent could be doing a lot of damage or boosting up with not much of a penalty besides the potential for something like +6 Super Evasion. And once it gets down to it, actions are so valuable that it's better to spend one buffing or doing damage rather than betting on a dice-roll for a 10% accuracy drop, I guess? Maybe lower the affection requirements for some of the better boosts so they're attainable without having to sacrifice too many actions to affection, and there's also the problem of lowering energy costs (and stacking halvings or quarterings) when many of them are low enough already that a quartering or eighth-ing (man, that word's awkward) will simply reduce them to 1% already, or the Pokemon doesn't actually use anything that costs energy for the entire round. But this was a really fun arena to write for, and I love the concept, so I'm interested to see where you'll go with it!

Gwen: 2 - 6 (Ice Shard) = 0
61 = 61
10 + 1 (round 6) = 11
Cherry Coke: 9 = 9
63 - 2 (Ice Shard) = 61
7 + 1 (round 6) = 8

Good game, everyone, and have fun filling your new battle slot! Eifie gets $8, Jack gets $4, and I get $5. Cherry Coke gets 3 exp/2 happiness and can now evolve, and Gwen gets 1 exp/happiness.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYES

Good battle, Jack! My imaginary fingernails can attest to how close it was at the end. One thing I would also change is not making the super evasion stack, which was how I originally thought it would be anyway (like in the games... I think). zzz why do I make these posts from my phone in the middle of the night

edit: now that I'm on a computer:

Thanks for reffing, Keldeo! I am amused that you got so much to write out of "Wheelbarrow Dumpling spits out an icicle. Gwen dies." Unfortunately, I am short on nail puns...

Last edited:
Woooow that was close. Great game, Eifie, and thanks for such quick reffings, Keldeo!

Not sure if I will revise and reuse this arena, but if I do, I'll almost certainly cut out the lowest tier altogether and reduce the affection point quotas such that they max around 10ish. And definitely add some more early-game effects that can reasonably be triggered other than "reduce energy cost".

(Incidentally, wow, how neat is it that we ended with the exact same energy?)

Back
Top Bottom