• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

All-time top 5 video games

Nah, you just can't beat Paper Mario. I mean, you're having SPEARS thrown at you and you're a piece of PAPER. Over kill much?

Plus, how do you hit a target that thin?

Hmm, well Paper Mario never appealed to me much. It's battle system is basically Super Mario RPG with a few tweaks here and there, and while it is inventive, it has nothing on Chrono Trigger's Dual and Triple Techs, Chrono Cross' Element Grid, or the Tales series LMBS, namely the system in Rebirth. Paper Mario's battles are a little too slow and simple for my taste, and I tend to prefer slightly more technical or complicated systems, like battle system in Cross Edge, or The Last Remnant.

POST HAS BEEN EDITED ON SEPTEMBER SIXTH

1: Pokemon Gold/Pokemon SoulSilver
2: Shadow of the Colossus
3: Okami
4: Chrono Trigger
5: Fire Emblem 7

Honorable mentions:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Final Fantasy IV
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Yellow (First Nintendo game I played)
Fire Emblem 8
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Disgaea
EDIT: Final Fantasy I and II: Dawn of Souls
EDIT: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon II
EDIT: Spore
EDIT: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
EDIT: Iji

That's quite a lot there, huh?

Last edited:
1. Pokémon Red
The game that got me playing games and still one of my favourite of the series. Arguably I enjoyed Silver more than I did Red, but Red still holds that special place for me, being the first of them all.

2. Pokémon Silver
I wanted to avoid two Pokémon games in one list, but as soon as I started writing I knew I couldn't. Like I said in the Red description, Silver was better and sheer length of it for a game of its time was just mind blowing. Would be my favourite game if not Red and its nostalgia factor.

3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Obvious, but still a fantastic game. The graphics, the size, the length, it was just a brilliant game. Majora's Mask may be better, but I haven't played that, so I can't say for sure.

4. Golden Sun
One of the only RPGs I've ever been able to stick with, and for good reason. Great game with lovely graphics, sound, characters and story. I didn't like The Lost Age as much, but Golden Sun was amazing.

5. Super Mario Sunshine
This is often overlooked by most people, but I still believe it is the best 3D Mario, better than Super Mario 64 and light years better than Galaxy. FLUDD was a great addition and the whole game was just so bright and cheery. Not to mention it looked great, particularly the water.

Other games that just missed the list would include; Sonic The Hedgehog, Portal, Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Pokémon Stadium, Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption.

1: Super Mario 64
2: Super Mario Sunshine
3: Super Mario Bros. 3
4: Super Mario World
5: the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

:P

runners up: any pokemon game (they are all pretty much the same), Chibi-Robo, the LSD Dream Emulator

Okay, so this list changes almost constantly with the exception of a few select titles, but here it is right now, in no particular order...

1. Mother 3.
2. Super Metroid
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Sonic Adventure

Mmmmmm...... it's a veeeeery tough call, but...here goes....
1.Morrowind
2.Fallout 3
3.Mass Effect 2
4.Super Smash Bros Brawl
5.Red Dead Redemption
It's actually funny that Pokemon isn't on this list. Don't get me wrong, I like the main series and Mytery Dungeon, but lately I go more for character-based RPGs. Also, I love Legend Of Zelda and the Civilization series, but I just couldn't make room for them on the list.

1. Fable (any)
2. T.E.S. IV Oblivion
3. Alan Wake
4. Okami
5. Fallout 3
6. Majora's Mask
7. RockBand
8. Final Fantasy 9
9. Super Mario World
10. Duke Nukem 3D

I know it was a top 5, But guess what. Shut up.

My favorites (Top 10 like Susano above me)

1. Majora's Mask
2. Final Fantasy 10
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Viewtiful Joe
5. Viewtiful Joe 2
6. Paper Mario
7. Final Fantasy 6
8. Final Fantasy 9
9. Pikmin
10. No More Heroes 2

to hell with orders

half-life 2
team fortress 2
zelda: minish cap
super mario world
then uh, either god of war or left 4 dead 2. i can't settle on one between those.

5)Sonic CD
4)Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3)Super Mario World
2)Earthbound
1)Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Yeah, I know 1 is predictable, but it's an amazing game and has more sentimental value than anything.

And FF isn't on the list because I never was a huge fan of the series. Don't get me wrong, I've played I, II, III, IV, VI, and VII and enjoyed them, but they didn't come near these games.

Last edited:
Top 5:

1. Portal
  2. VVVVVV
  3. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  4. Spirit Tracks
  5. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Honorable Mentions:

1. LittleBigPlanet 2
  2. Angry Birds
  3. Every Pokemon game

1. Half-Life 2
  2. Super Mario 64
  3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
  4. Pokemon Silver
  5. Mario Kart 64

Honorable mentions:
  • Pokemon Red
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • LoZ: Twilight Princess
  • LoZ: A Link to the Past
  • COD: MW2

yeah well maybe my list has changed since July D:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X + Phantasia Cross Edition
3. Knights in the Nightmare PSP
4. Tales of Graces f
5. Birth By Sleep Final Mix

I find it funny how me, the guy with a strong distaste for most of Kingdom Hearts, ended up with BBSFM on his list. I dunno why, I just really liked it. It was excellent. Whole game through. Plus, it was actually a challenge, and I had fun playing it on Critical.

No, I didn't just like it for Aqua. Though it was a small reason.

Yeah, FFTactics showed up here this time; I recently replayed it and remembered just how much I loved it, and exactly why I loved it so much. Knights for the PSP booted the DS version off for the minor updates, and Yggdra as a protagonist.

NariDanX and Phantasia Cross are up together because, even though they're separate games, they're both included on one UMD, and due to the inclusion of a certain guest character, causes the two to intertwine in interesting ways, essentially making the original game, and its sequel one large game.

Plus the Cross Edition of Phantasia finally gave it the proper update it's been waiting for since 2006.

yeah well maybe my list has changed since July D:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X + Phantasia Cross Edition
3. Knights in the Nightmare PSP
4. Tales of Graces f
5. Birth By Sleep Final Mix

I find it funny how me, the guy with a strong distaste for most of Kingdom Hearts, ended up with BBSFM on his list. I dunno why, I just really liked it. It was excellent. Whole game through. Plus, it was actually a challenge, and I had fun playing it on Critical.

No, I didn't just like it for Aqua. Though it was a small reason.

Yeah, FFTactics showed up here this time; I recently replayed it and remembered just how much I loved it, and exactly why I loved it so much. Knights for the PSP booted the DS version off for the minor updates, and Yggdra as a protagonist.

NariDanX and Phantasia Cross are up together because, even though they're separate games, they're both included on one UMD, and due to the inclusion of a certain guest character, causes the two to intertwine in interesting ways, essentially making the original game, and its sequel one large game.
HOW THE HELL DO YOU PLAY ALL THESE JAPANESE ONLY GAMES GODDAMMIT!?

;-;

Anyway, I'm quite surprised by the list. I had no idea you were as much of a Phantasiafag as I am, I really only expected to see maybe Destiny 2 and Vesperia, but I haven't played Graces yet, because Namco refuses to FUCKING RELEASE 80% OF THEIR GAMES OUT OF JAPAN. And Birth by Sleep was also a surprise, because I remember telling me you didn't really like the series. I expected more old-school RPGs, shocked the Chrono Trigger isn't on here, also.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Pokémon Emerald
3. Super Mario World
4. Kirby's Dream Course
5. Final Fantasy IX

Thereabouts. Tilt-'n-Tumble may replace #4, wasn't entirely sure which to go with.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU PLAY ALL THESE JAPANESE ONLY GAMES GODDAMMIT!?

;-;

Anyway, I'm quite surprised by the list. I had no idea you were as much of a Phantasiafag as I am, I really only expected to see maybe Destiny 2 and Vesperia, but I haven't played Graces yet, because Namco refuses to FUCKING RELEASE 80% OF THEIR GAMES OUT OF JAPAN. And Birth by Sleep was also a surprise, because I remember telling me you didn't really like the series. I expected more old-school RPGs, shocked the Chrono Trigger isn't on here, also.

lol, I study Japanese in my free time; games and anime can help with learning, to an extent.

But uhh, you might look forward to Graces f for the PS3; Namco's given tons of hints in the last week alone that they'll be bringing it stateside. I think there's a chance we might actually get it.

Birth By Sleep was a surprise for me too; I played through, and thought, "Holy cow. Compared to the rest of the series, I actually liked this one. A lot."

And uhh, I think we can assume Chrono Trigger's in a league of its own lol. At least, in my heart it is <3

You darn kids with your free time and your japanese imports and your rap music-

I've heard. I'm not sure what to think; I'm now under the strong impression that Namco loathes its western audience, and they're just doing this to screw with our minds. :/ But yeah, the PS3 port would be awesome. Now we just need the Tales of Vesperia port, Tales of VS., Tales of Phantasia X, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Innocence, Tales of Hearts, Tales of the Tempest, and the radian mythology games! And maybe we'll even get Xillia when that comes out, too!

;-;

I don't know about you, but I really adored the KH series. Especially the second game. Yeah, the plot the very definition of "chessy", but it was awesome, and still fun. Lots of nostalgia for me.

lol, Tales of VS. That game was so bad, and yet it was so fun. Shing and Mao were so freaking cheap xD

Tales of Hearts was good fun too. I loved its characters <3 I personally don't really care about Innocence anymore, since the fan translation was released last summer, and it's just as good as, if not better than any official translations. I'm just waiting on the fan translation for Hearts now, and hoping someone will take the current menu patch for NariDanX/Phantasia X and take it further.

Back
Top Bottom