• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

In the most recent episode, I think I found Thor.

It was an excellent episode in any case, and I really did like the song.
Will have to rewatch it in full some time.

The way this episode played out bugged me. The brothers made good cider until they decided to have this tantalizingly dumb, explicitly quantity-over-quality contest - the barrels they made before they ditched the quality control would have been fine, as would any future barrels they produced, so just because they made some junk barrels to win the contest, that didn't mean their actual product was unsellable in Ponyville. Plus, Sweet Apple Acres did cheat - they brought in extra workforce, and while the brothers were overconfident enough to allow it, this means their final output was not actually representative of Sweet Apple Acres' general production capacity. Ultimately the fact was the brothers made more cider that was apparently just as good as theirs.

The way this episode played out bugged me. The brothers made good cider until they decided to have this tantalizingly dumb, explicitly quantity-over-quality contest - the barrels they made before they ditched the quality control would have been fine, as would any future barrels they produced, so just because they made some junk barrels to win the contest, that didn't mean their actual product was unsellable in Ponyville. Plus, Sweet Apple Acres did cheat - they brought in extra workforce, and while the brothers were overconfident enough to allow it, this means their final output was not actually representative of Sweet Apple Acres' general production capacity. Ultimately the fact was the brothers made more cider that was apparently just as good as theirs.

I can completely see where you're coming from and do agree with you about the fact that the Flim and Flam brothers should have wised up and started to sell the high quality barrels first. At the same time I don't really think it's fair to say that the Apple family were entirely cheating because they did ask for permission and it was not as though Flim and Flam weren't given an opportunity to say no. However, as you have said it was unrepresentative of what the Apple family could do as a workforce on their own. But if you really want to attest to the cider-producing capabilities of the respective parties entirely under their own power, the Flim Flam brothers had no apples of their own in the first place and as such would not have been able to have produced any cider at all were they not provided with any by the Apple family.

Actually, as the Flim Flam brothers has no apples at all, I'd almost think that the Apples would have had more leverage in the sales margins than they were initially presented with. Looking at the implications it would appear that the brothers have no source of apples beyond the apple farms which they target. As such, without the Apple family, they again would be unable to produce cider. Therefore, they'd not be able to make any profits which would leave the Apples in a much more favourable position as their (current) sole provider. Should the Flim Flam brothers ever reach the point where they could theoretically have enough money in reserve to find a new supplier, the Apples could easily cut off ties with the Brothers having upheld their end of the bargain for a length of time, before outcompeting the brothers with their own cider.

Additionally, if the cider were able to be stored, then the Apples could just separate their cider making season from their cider selling season and therefore have a high enough supply of cider to meet all of Ponyville's demands in one go. However, if the cider is not at all storable then that's quite understandable.

Aaaaand finally I do quite like the whole undertone of "keep your family businesses alive because without them you lose your city's character to faceless corporate chains".

...guess I've really overthought and read way too much into this.

Last edited:
Did anyone else think that today's episode was a metaphor for the fandom and our reactions upon hearing of, then discovering FiM?

Did anyone else think that today's episode was a metaphor for the fandom and our reactions upon hearing of, then discovering FiM?

I thought it was just a good, fun episode.
And confirmation that Ponyville doesn't just have a medical hut like in Applebuck Season for real emergencies.

Pretty good for me, but not one of the best episodes. About two thirds of the episode was about Rainbow Dash reading the book with very few interruptions. It made the episode go by so fast that it didn't 'wow' me like the other episodes

Oh, and I found this really awesome comic about the egg Pinkie Pie laid in "Luna Eclipse".

absurd_res-applejack-baby-beard-comic-costume-drag

Sorry for the double post, but I just found the Leaked episode of Hearts and Hooves Day. It was on iTunes late wednesday night, but was taken off. Someone got the episode and put it on memebase.

Link: Here.

Oh, my god! The Cutie Mark Crusaders actually get to sing! Well, Sweetie Belle sings mostly, but Scootaloo and Appleloom sing a few lines as well.

Trying to draw ponies, I was thinking of what was wrong with the face, one thought I had was "she looks a bit like a horse"

On that topic, it is hard to make Photo Finish look emotive with those glasses in the way :(
I know she rarely doesn't have a blank look on her face but sh.

On the most recent episode, Hearts and Hooves Day:
Glue and glitter.
The CMC were practically swimming in
glue and glitter
Glitter, the horrible sparkly poison that you use once and cannot escape of for the rest of your life.
Glue, the...
it's made from horses

:(
:C
:C

...But yes, aside from that trauma, it was a pretty good episode. Not great, but it was good. Especially liked poor Berry's house getting moved by Big Mac. Not sure if this says the most about utilities and plumbing in Ponyville, Big Mac, or the strength of that rope Apple Bloom was using, though.

Not watched the new episode yet...though if it has young children singing in it I might give it a miss...its a thing I hate.

Anyone listen to Pony music? ^^;

I love quite a few songs. My faves atm are:

Foozogz - Sparkle (season rebirth) (so fucking beautiful...reminded me of earthbound at first for some reason...I dunno)
All levels at one - Fluttershy's lament (the first pony song I listened to)
All levels at once - Celestia's faithful
WoodenToaster - Avast Fluttershy's ass (*blushes*)
SoGreatAndPowerful - Your faithful student
PinkiePieSwear- Sunshine and celery stalks (I blame this song for my celery addiction)
PinkiePieSwear- Flutterwonder

There are a lot more I love atm, but I'll just stick with these for now. Anyone else got any faves?

...Is it sad I listen to these when running in the gym? XD

Not watched the new episode yet...though if it has young children singing in it I might give it a miss...its a thing I hate.

Anyone listen to Pony music? ^^;

I love quite a few songs. My faves atm are:

Foozogz - Sparkle (season rebirth) (so fucking beautiful...reminded me of earthbound at first for some reason...I dunno)
All levels at one - Fluttershy's lament (the first pony song I listened to)
All levels at once - Celestia's faithful
WoodenToaster - Avast Fluttershy's ass (*blushes*)
SoGreatAndPowerful - Your faithful student
PinkiePieSwear- Sunshine and celery stalks (I blame this song for my celery addiction)
PinkiePieSwear- Flutterwonder

There are a lot more I love atm, but I'll just stick with these for now. Anyone else got any faves?

...Is it sad I listen to these when running in the gym? XD

Beyond Her Garden - WoodenToaster
Beyond Her Garden (Silva Hound Remix) - Silva Hound
Giggle at the Ghostly (Silva Hound vs. Jackle App) - Silva Hound
Rainbow Factory (Silva Hound Remix) - Silva Hound
Pinkie's Lie - WoodenToaster (This is the INSANE version- Just means that it is extended by a fuckload)
She's A Pony Remix - WoodenToaster
Nightmare Night - WoodenToaster (This is the instrumental Version- if you like rap, go here)

Aaaaaaand that's all that I can think of right now.

Am I the only one who was totally creeped out by Hearts and Hooves Day? :(
Love potions are a really creepy trope and should stay out of colourful pony shows as far as I'm concerned. And faaaaaaar away from the Cutie Mark Crusaders. D:

Also the whole thing hinged on it actually having been a love poison... If it worked as intended, would that have been okay? What?

Big Mac sounding like a cardboard tube when he bounced à la Pinkie was awesome, though. Also Cheerilee's voice when she went "... That's an apple tree." But other than that the episode ranged from second-hand embarrassment to mild horror for me. :/

(EDIT: Also I totally loved the three episodes before that, just saying so that I don't darken the thread too much, haha.)

Last edited:
Also the whole thing hinged on it actually having been a love poison... If it worked as intended, would that have been okay? What?

I can see room for concern, but the lesson doesn't suggest that at all. I also took the distinguishing of poison not as "a potion would have been okay" but "there was never a potion". I mean, they realised 'no, this is not okay' and didn't even consider 'let's find a recipe that's not a poison'.

Token heteronormativity was to be expected, but not much can be done about that (and it could've been worse beyond the song and single instance of "stallion"). Really, apart from the song, I thought it was a brilliant episode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom