• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Absurdly lucky/unlucky moments

GOLBAT used Supersonic!
Ponga hurt itself in confusion!
GOLBAT used Bite!
Ponga flinched!
GOLBAT used Bite!
Ponga flinched!
GOLBAT used Air Cutter!
Critical Hit!
GOLBAT used Bite!
Ponga flinched!
GOLBAT used Air Cutter!
Critical Hit!
Ponga snapped out of confusion!
Ponga's attack missed.
GOLBAT used Supersonic!
Ran away successfully!

It was in my hg nuzlocke, too. I'm glad Ponga didn't die.

My luckiest moment? Pokemon Pearl (it may have been Platinum actually, but it seemed like donkeys ago so it was probably Pearl). Oh, this is brilliant. I was against Gardenia, the grass gym leader. She was down to her last pokemon, the Roserade (I forget the level, I assume it was the late teens/early twenties, I may be wrong). I was down to my level 18 Prinplup, or so I though. Of course, her Roserade KO'd my poor Prinplup and I though I had lost, but then I realised I had an unused Level 6 Bidoof in my party with me. I only caught it for Pokedex data, and planned to store it in the PC never to be used again once I had filled my party (at the time, my other Pokemon were a level 12 Shinx and a level 8 Starly). Anyway, my Prinplup had initially succeeded in knocking Roserade down to the low orange health before fainting, but if I recall, she ate a Sitrus Berry to get into the green health. Bidoof only knew Tackle & Growl, whilst Roserade knew Stun Spore, Poison Sting, Grass Knot and Magical Leaf. You can sort of predict the conclusion to this battle but I'll continue. Roserade is obviosuly faster, but rather than going in for the kill, she paralyzes me with Stun Spore. In a rush, I accidentally hit Growl on that turn, so Roserade's attack fell. My Bidoof then eats his Cheri Berry (i think that's the one, whichever one cures paralysis) which I didn't even know he was holding. Roserade then uses Stun Spore again, don't ask me why. I use Tackle, and amazingly, it's a critical hit, and it does a surprisngly large amount of damage - she's now down to mid-low orange health. Doing that again may just be enough to win it, I thought. Roserade uses the pathetic Poison Sting, and my HP rockets down to 2 - the Growl I used before has just helped me survive. Unfortuantely, it poisoned me. What luck - it would surely KO me this turn with just two hit points left. I used tackle one more time. Slowly, Roserade's health deterioates, and after gallons of sweat fell down my face and my heart is beating faster than a steam train, it reaches zero. 'A critical hit!', the game said. I didn't know this was even possible. It fainted, and my little Bidoof, in its first ever battle, had just KO'd a level 22 (i believe) Roserade. Awwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhh

I was playing Platinum and doing a Nuzlocke, and the luckiest thing that happened was catching an Abra, which was my first encounter (Well second, but the Kricketot was a dupe), before it used Teleport. :D

My best battling moment has to be the time my Jolteon's Focus Band activated THREE TURNS IN A ROW. Best day ever!

This one is sort of good luck but bad luck.. On Crystal I have encountered a shiny Drowzee twice in a row....without having any pokeballs. TWICE. That's like..not even possible. I was mad, of course..

I'm not sure if it counts as luck (it sure as heck ain't planned) but this seems to happen to me a lot when playing through Black and White.

Enemy Gothita used Flatter!
Lilligant's Special Attack rose greatly!
--> Lilligant's Own Tempo
Lilligant doesn't become confused!

Thanks for the stat buff!

Something that seems similar to me tends to happen quite a bit with one of my Pokemon in Sapphire (I think it's Crobat but I'm not sure).

[Enemy's Pokemon] used FAKE OUT!
*pathetic amount of damage*
CROBAT's INNER FOCUS prevented it from flinching!
CROBAT used AIR CUTTER!
*instant death*

No real lucky moments fo me :(
My unlickiest moment though, was my LG Nuzlocke, where I ran into my first shiny, a Mankey, which proceeded to kill one of my 'mons, and get knocked out by a critical hit. :(

luckily you made your 95 acc hit on an enemy unlikely to have been able to even get in another hit before fainting?

I meant it more as lucky that I happened to have in a Pokemon that couldn't flinch. I usually switch her in without thinking about Fake Out, so it's a small amount of luck that that happens. It's not very much, though, I'll admit.

I meant it more as lucky that I happened to have in a Pokemon that couldn't flinch. I usually switch her in without thinking about Fake Out, so it's a small amount of luck that that happens. It's not very much, though, I'll admit.

but since fake out is priority anyway and it's unlikely, if the pokémon is doing a "pitiful" amount of damage and you can one-shot it, that it's faster than your crobat anyway, so even without inner focus, it would go fake out, flinch, ko by air slash. inner focus just takes out the flinch.

in other circumstances, perhaps reasonable but ?? that sounds like a reasonable thing.

Moving on from my confusing post, I decided recently to use a Marowak in LeafGreen since I've never used one before, so I began searching on the top floor of Pokemon Tower. Not only did I find a Cubone on my first try (they have a 10% chance of appearing), I also caught one holding a Thick Club (a 5% chance). In a turn of misfortune, however, it had a Modest nature :P

Oh man. I remember one playthrough of Heart Gold that was full of lucky moments. Two really stand out, though.

1: Against Chuck, I was horribly underleveled. He was on his last Pokemon, I was on mine. He was about ten levels stronger then me. Here's the thing: he kept using Focus Punch. I had Magical Leaf. I literally won the battle with AI stupidity and some Ethers.

2: In this run, I was only using Pokemon I'd never used before. I caught a Jynx and decided to breed it, not intending to use the resulting Smoochum. It hatched, and I noticed that she was a little off-coloured. SHINY SMOOCHUM :D. Best part? I was training to beat Clair! Smoochum and my Dragonair wiped the Gym.

My two unluckiest ALSO came from HG, but from the previous playthrough. I think my copy is bipolar or something.

1: Safari Zone. Shiny Mr. Mime. 'Nuff said.

2: Against Whitney's Clefairy. My cousin had given me a lvl. 29 Magmar because cheating is totally justified against Whitney. I intended to only use it on Miltank. Clefairy used Metronome and got Spacial Rend, killing my Sentret. I sent out my Bayleef, it used Metronome, got ROAR OF TIME. Only Pokemon left at that point was Magmar. I smashed that Clefairy, but Magmar went up a level and wouldn't obey me. Wonderful.

OK, apparently now my LeafGreen is full of hax, because I also wanted to use a Dodrio. I caught a Doduo and was far too lazy to grind on wild Pokemon, so I battled trainers with it. Of course, two trainers had a Dodrio, both were not only evolved but also of higher levels. My underleveled Doduo managed to beat them both single-handedly: the first was subjected to major freeze hax from Tri Attack, and the second left me at 2 HP by only hitting with Fury Attack twice. Including the first Dodrio, this same Doduo (now a Dodrio) has been on my team for less than half an hour, and it has already had freeze hax from Tri Attack three times.

Oh yeah, forgot some!

I was trying to recreate my old teams on HG (so many of these on that game) and I'd saved the best for last - my very first Pokemon, a Blastoise named Ringleader. My cousin gave me a Squirtle egg for me to hatch. SHINY. Yes, the reincarnation of my first ever Pokemon ended up being SHINY. I admit that I cried like a baby.

One from Sapphire, this time. Facing Steven, his Cradily vs. my Kyogre. I had just got Sheer Cold and was itching to test it out. In my haste, I hadn't noticed the accuracy of the move (or rather, lack of it). It hit and took Cradily out instantly. Did I mention that this Cradily had stopped me every time I fought him?

If I've posted it here, forgive me.

On my legit Ruby (i had one that was hacked off ebay), I was in the Safari Zone and found a shiny Pinsir. I nearly cried, because I thought it would flee. It ended up taking 7 safari balls without mud, and it never ran away. I was so happy.

Oh man, I just finished watching my Battle Video thing on SoulSilver, and I had completely forgotten how lucky I was. I was battling Factory Head Thorton in, well, the Battle Factory, open level challenge. Thorton had Pinsir, Luxray, and Blaziken. I had Gliscor, Starmie, and Ambipom.

At first, his Pinsir managed to set up two Swords Dances, while Gliscor managed to do literally nothing. I was hoping to hit with Guillotine, but it missed all three times. I sent out Ambipom after Gliscor fainted; it used Aerial Ace, which didn't manage to take out Pinsir. I took Life Orb damage, and Pinsir finished off Ambipom.

Finally, I sent out Starmie, which finished Pinsir easily with Power Gem. He sent in Luxray, which I was really nervous about. I hit it with one Surf, but it didn't go down; he used Crunch, but Starmie survived with 4 HP, allowing me to kill Luxray with another Surf. Blaziken went down in one Surf.

Result: Finished with a Starmie with 4 HP that took out all three opponents almost single-handedly, except for one Aerial Ace from Ambipom.

sorry for this wall of text, but...

Luckiest moment EVAR: For the Dragon pokemon gym in White, I had taught my dual-screening, toxic-using Serperior (Serpentine) Protect instead of Light Screen. I sent it out against Iris' Haxorus. First turn, I used Reflect, preparing for Haxorus to hit me REALLY hard. Instead, it used Dragon Dance. Next turn, I used Toxic, since that had recently become Serperior's main form of damage. it hit. the turn after that, the Haxorus used Dragon Dance again. Serpentine used Return. Haxorus used Dragon Dance YET AGAIN. Serpentine used Return. the turn after THAT, Serpentine used Protect. The Haxorus tried to use dragon tail. The next two turns:
Serpentine used Reflect!
A barrier of light is protecting the party!
Haxorus used Dragon Tail!
*Serpentine's HP goes down to 61*
Serpentine was forced to switch out!
*switch to galvantula named Electric*
Haxorus is hurt by poison!
*Iris used a Hyper Potion just before the Haxorus died*
Electric used Signal Beam!
*Hax survives with one pixel of HP left*
Electric used Protect!
Haxorus used Assurance!
Electric protected itself!
Haxorus faints!
Me: YESSS!!!

..oh, so you're wondering what was lucky about that? well, Iris had used her OTHER potion on her Fraxure. Luckily as well, her Fraxure had Rivalry, it was female, and my Serperior was male.

UNLUCKIES MOMENT IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER: some Lilligant owned by an Ace Trainer in Chargestone Cave systematically murdered each of my team members with Teeter Dance, followed by a turn or two of Quiver Dance, followed by a Mega Drain. The worst part? None of my Pokemon actually used a move. The ace trainer just went, "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"
UGH.

Last edited:
Luckiest: I 'unno? I've gotten three shinies now, a ditto, a Fearow, and a Timburr, in gen 3/4/5 respectively. But I don't think that's the luckiest...I'll think on it...

Unluckiest: Found a shiny Geodude in Emerald. It decided that exploding is fun (it is but...)...

Back
Top Bottom