• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

what languages do you speak?

My native tongue is American English, but I don't really know what dialect. Western, maybe? I also am fairly fluent in Spanish; I've been taking Spanish for the past 3 years, and apparently our school's Spanish program is really good, since (according to our teachers) we could pass college Spanish classes with relative ease. I can't take Spanish anymore in high school because my schedule won't allow it.

I'm fairly certain that I want to major in linguistics, and I'll probably continue learning languages even if I don't. The only other language our school offers is German, which I may try to take if it fits into my schedule. We also live fairly close to a community college which apparently offers several language courses. The only three I've heard of from my school's counselor are Italian, Mandarin, and Arabic, the latter two of which appeal to me greatly.

According to my grandmother and aunt, I spoke my own invented language when I was very young (and taught it to everyone else at preschool), but I can't remember any of it at all.

English and Malay. I also studied Mandarin for about two years, but have since forgotten much of it.

And although this doesn't really count, I know a handful of cuss words/insults in Spanish. xD

Standard American English, without any particular dialect that comes to mind.

I'm also learning French, but I'm not very good at that yet.

Well I speak my own language (Portuguese), and I'm fluent in English. I'm learning German and I have a personal project that will never be completed of learning Japanese.

I'm also moderately good at Dothraki and Elvish but there's no one I can speak to since Westeros and Middle Earth are so far away...

My native language is Slovenian, but I speak English (specifically, a hybrid of Australian and British English) quite a lot better. Once upon a time I could hold a conversation in German, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

Also, I can say "I eat small children" in Japanese.

English fluently and tiny bits of French and German still floating around in there from school. Progress on my impractically long list of languages to acquire at some point during my lifespan sure is going swimmingly.

I also make up languages but I'm guessing they don't count. Even if you ignore the fact that I only have one that I've even gotten past sorting out phonology and orthography on, and even that one has a vocabulary of about seven words and is impossible to use in talking about anything much other than eating cats.

Well, my mothertounge is swedish, Finlandswedish/finnoswedish/whatever to be more precise, which has some differences to the standard version, one of them being that we can use short vowels after eachother(the name Timo being an example), which as far as I know does not occur in standard swedish. Real finns however usually have difficulties with "sh" sounds, like in "sure", but as a fennoswede, I eliminate both problems, as well as gain the advantages, leading to my relatively good english pronunciation. I speak understandable finnish, and english almost feels like a second mothertounge. I also understand norwegian and danish to some extent.

One of my goals for the future is to speak japanese and if possible german. I'm considering french since my sister speaks it fluently and my mother is trying to learn it. If I had a time machine I'd go back in time and slap myself for picking crafts over german, since that has led me to not feel like bothering with it right now. Sadly, the courses for japanese are few and the one that I have found just had to be scheduled at the same time as my taekwondo :(

I'm a bit surprised so many here speak swedish to some extent. Have some finnish hockey training.

English and Welsh fluently, French, German and Latin at that school level that you forget almost immediately.

I speak australian english and kangaroo reasonably fluently, and I know a handful of Italian, Swedish, Nyoongar (local indigenous dialect) and Indonesian words, but nothing I can actually get by with.

so uh how hard a language would you say kangaroo is to learn

My native language is Slovenian, but I speak English (specifically, a hybrid of Australian and British English) quite a lot better. Once upon a time I could hold a conversation in German, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

Also, I can say "I eat small children" in Japanese.

small childten are delicious, yes, but I find it is much more satisfying to eat them in a language in which one is reasonably fluent. it helps.

Erm, (UK) English, German and a little bit of Latin, French and Mandarin Japanese! =D

mandarin ... japanese.

... I'm sure this ought to be reason enough for to disown, all considered, and what with the ... thing involving the japanese >|||, but, wait what, amusement.

English, with basic competence in Japanese and a really shitty amount of Italian, Spanish, Korean, and Russian, more or less in that order.

Fluency in English, semi-fluency in Spanish and some competence in Irish. I can also follow basic French, Portuguese and Italian well enough, thanks to my Spanish.

small childten are delicious, yes, but I find it is much more satisfying to eat them in a language in which one is reasonably fluent. it helps.

I would argue that it is more important for the small children in question to understand me.

But if they're so delicious, then why are you warning them about it? Then they'll just be a pain to catch...

I'm fluent in American English. I've got some level of proficiency in region-nonspecific Castilian I'm in the process of losing because practice is always so embarrassing, as well.
I also know enough German, French, and Italian to get myself into trouble (but not out). I can understand Portuguese and Catalan texts with some level of competence if I'm given enough time to figure out what French/Castilian/Italian words they look like, too.

Back
Top Bottom