• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Last Album You Listened To?

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
I suppose the title should be self-explanatory. Please also provide your thoughts on the music instead of just trying to up your postcount.

Last album I listened to:

G97435.jpg

Artist: Neurosis
Album: Through Silver In Blood
Rating: 8.5/10
Comments: This album took a few spins for me to fully appreciate, but it was well worth it. I got into this band because of Scott Kelly being a guest musician on several Mastodon records, but Neurosis is a very, very different band. These musicians sure do know how to create an atmosphere. It's easy to see why they are considered to be at the forefront of the Sludge Metal/Post-Metal genre.

Just listened to Discovery by Daft Punk. Don't care if it's old, still an awesome album.
Favorites are Face to Face; Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger; Something About Us; Veridis Quo ect.

Through Silver in Blood is orgasmic. Last album I listened to was...

kreator_album_phantom-antichrist.jpg

Artist: Kreator
Album: Phantom Antichrist
Rating: 10/10
Comments: Wow. Just wow. This album blew me away. There is not one song on here that is not amazing. The songwriting is catchy, yet aggressive and fierce enough to proudly wear the thrash metal name. The band has mastered combining their old, pure thrash sound with their newer, more melodic elements. I honestly feel that this is Kreator's magnum opus, and if you are interested in metal at all, check this monster out.

Delain's latest, We Are the Others. I never really thought much of the band, and that hasn't changed. Terribly medicore.

Really new? Young Guns - Bones. Alternative rock of a high calibre, related to things like Receiving End of Sirens and such.

I just did the dishes to The Decemberists' The King is Dead (the tracks I stole off Mhals from it, anyway). I really like it, although I don't understand why the band called The Decemberists has a song called January Hymn. They should just pick a month and stick to it.

Edit: Just found out (probably) why I like it so much:

Wikipedia said:
Meloy has said that a primary musical influence for much of The King Is Dead is R.E.M

Last edited:
Andrew Jackson Jihad, Knife. Rejoice!

It definitely took me a couple of listens, but Knife Man is really great. Good ear.

I guess the last album I listened to was Stepdad's Ordinare EP (stepdad.bandcamp.com) which is really, really good (particularly Squares; Wolf Slaying As A Hobby; My Leather, My Fur, My Nails; Kings and Centipedes) ...

But I listen to music in long bouts of album preference. Accordingly I've been listening to Caribou's Swim (electronica, made by a Canadian with a PhD in Mathematics I think), Fang Island's self-titled (indie rock I guess?), Precious Fathers's self-titled (post rock with a lot of clean guitar), Sigur Ros's Takk (Icelandic post rock), We vs. Death's A Black House, A Coloured Home and We vs. Death's We Too Are Concerned / We Are Too Concerned (really fuzzy ... almost shoegaze-y post rock? Dutch I think).

A year ago this would have been all metal and Andrew Jackson Jihad thrown in for good measure, but one of my future roommates has done a thorough job influencing me musically.

Vexillology by deadmau5. It's pretty good, not mind-blowing and definitely not a stitch on Daft Punk. Still, it's good enough to keep in my WMP, which is a good sign.

61cHGVk9-SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

diorama by Kenshi Yonezu (aka Hachi)

asdfghjkl; Hachi my one true love <3

Seriously, other than Black Sheep which (like most of his nonsense songs) I'm kinda meh on, I love this entire album.

Also, vivi is the story of me.

50314_44745346911_2053_n.jpg

Artist: Opeth
Album: Still Life
Rating: 9.5/10
Comments: It's a toss-up between Blackwater Park and this, but I still think Still Life is my favorite Opeth album. The vocals are just plain fantastic, and like any good Opeth album, the contrast between soft acoustic passages and harsh death metal assaults is terrific. A masterpiece, no doubt.

This is the actual album, but I don't listen to actual albums that much.
On a side note, I have had Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love, and Stairway to Heaven all in my head recently. I blame the Led Zeppelin book I've been reading.

Sehnsucht2.JPG

Artist: Rammstien
Album: Sehnsucht
Rating: 8/10
Comments: This may be just my natural metalheadness(when I was a baby, I would fall asleep in the car to Metallica. Whom I still love by the way.), but this album is pretty awesome. It does get a little old after a while.

Metallica+-+1984+-+Ride+The+Lightning+-+Front.jpg

Artist: Metallica
Album: Ride the Lightning
Comments: RtL is and will always be my favorite Metallica album. This album is such a gem, it almost makes you forget the crap they have put out post black album.

Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Album: Bad Moon Rising: The Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival
Comments: Fogerty and company's greatest moments packed into 72 amazing minutes. It's been over 40 years, but it still sounds amazing today. The legends at their peak. And now you may proceed to revoke my Gen Y card.

Attachments

• 220px-Bad_Moor_Rising_cover.jpg
    220px-Bad_Moor_Rising_cover.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 63
cover_enfant_sauvage_5_by_5_1_1.jpg

Artist: Gojira
Album: L'enfant Sauvage
Rating: 9/10
Comments: Never have I been disappointed by a Gojira release. This one certainly takes the cake for me as the best album of 2012 so far. It's got great melodies, incredible drumming, and some very crunchy Meshuggah-esque riffs. The only thing it was missing was an extended track like "The Art of Dying" on their previous album The Way of All Flesh, but this doesn't seem to take much away from the overall effect. I'm quite in awe of this band's amazing talent. I can't wait to see them live in September; it's sure to be one amazing show.

Last edited:
d24d18d9dc29cb8da86f8e35b784710d.jpg

The Agonist - Prisoners
Rating (after first listen): 8/10

I dislike 95% of the metalcore I listen to, but The Agonist has consistenly been an exception. Each of the members is genuinely talented, and I like that the lyrics tend to revolve around issues like veganism/animal rights, the environment, and religious indoctrination. That probably sounds awful... but they're quite poignant at times. Heh.

The music drags on a bit toward the middle, but I guess that's metalcore.

I'll have to give this one a few more listens before I decide whether or not it tops Lullabies for the Dormant Mind. But it's good. Definitely good.

"You're Coming With Me"

1474.jpg

Artist: Mastodon
Album: Leviathan
Rating: 9/10
Comments: The first Mastodon album I was introduced to, and still their finest work. Every riff is insanely catchy, and the whole album is mesmerizingly heavy and skillfully played. This is a solid album from start to finish, and it's a concept album about Moby Dick. Brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom