• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Zapi vs Murkrow

Round Six

Zapi (2/2 left)
Larvitar
Reyn
Ability: Guts
Health: 8%
Energy: 47%

Murkrow (2/2 left)
Kabuto
Victor Meldrew
Ability: Swift Swim
Health: 53%
Energy: 45%
Status: Reluctant to leave his shell again... Toxic poisoned (4% last round, 5% this round). +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Special Attack, +1 Accuracy.

------------------------------​

With another furious roar, Reyn roars, furiously. The ground beneath Victor's feet rumbles loudly, and the Kabuto gulps to himself, getting the feeling that this onslaught is going to be even worse than the last. Indeed, an enormous geyser of molten earth erupts from underneath, launching the helpless Kabuto into the air as he screams and flails his tiny legs desperately for something to grab onto. One of his front pincers carves a tiny symbol into the air, passed down from generations of Kabuto, each fossilized for generations before finally being revived, so it's really a hell of a lot of generations. Anyway, using five gazillion-year-old powers, Victor calls forth the rain, and raindrops being splattering heavily and dramatically upon the ground as he lands painfully on his back, shell cracking audibly. Gritting his teeth, he unleashes a quick burst of water from his shell to propel him upright and into his foe, knocking the Larvitar bodily to the ground. Reyn howls in anguish as his skin gets wet, washing off all his carefully-applied makeup, and the horror is just too much for him. He can't be seen like this! So he promptly rolls over on his side to play dead, forcing his trainer to recall him.

Zapi (1/2 left)
Larvitar
Reyn
Ability: Guts
Health: 0%
Energy: 43%
Used: Earth Power ~ nothing

Murkrow (2/2 left)
Kabuto
Victor Meldrew
Health: 30%
Energy: 39%
Status: Clicking his pincers worriedly. Swift Swim activated. Toxic poisoned (3% this round, 6% next round). +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Special Attack, +1 Accuracy.
Used: Rain Dance ~ Aqua Jet

Arena Status
  • It is raining (8 more actions).
  • Bits of molten rock are scattered around Victor. There is a large tear in the earth nearby.

Damage and Energy
  • Reyn's Health: 8% - 10% (Aqua Jet) = 0%
  • Reyn's Energy: 47% - 4% (Earth Power) = 43%
  • Victor Meldrew's Health: 53% - 20% (Earth Power) - 3% (poison) = 30%
  • Victor Meldrew's Energy: 45% - 4% (Rain Dance) - 2% (Aqua Jet) = 39%

Notes
  • Speed order: Victor Meldrew (110).
  • what did I just write
  • Earth Power was a critical hit.
  • Victor Meldrew only took 3% damage from his poison this round since the round only lasted two actions. Next round he'll still take 2%/action as normal.
  • Zapi sends out, then Murkrow commands first.

Last edited:
So it's a Pichu is it? Victor and I have played enough Melee to know that it's not a threat.

The rain might make electric attacks worrisome but you'll make up for it with your speed.
Start off by Digging underground. Dig back up immediately after, and gather the wet ground around you for a big Mud-Shot.

Dig (down) ~ Dig (up) ~ Mud-Shot (left right left right B A Start)

Last edited:
Try to trap him in an Electroweb before he starts digging, but if you can't get it off before he goes underground, begin hatching a Nasty Plot. If he's still underground on action two, continue(/start) your Nasty Plot, but if you can hit him use Thunder. Finish off the round with (another) Thunder.

Electroweb / Nasty Plot ~ Thunder / Nasty Plot ~ Thunder

Round Seven

Zapi (1/2 left)
Pichu
Lightning
Ability: Static
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Status: Cautiously dipping the end of her tail into a small puddle.

Murkrow (2/2 left)
Kabuto
Victor Meldrew
Health: 30%
Energy: 39%
Status: Clicking his pincers worriedly. Swift Swim activated. Toxic poisoned (3% last round, 6% this round). +1 Attack, +2 Defense, -1 Special Attack, +1 Accuracy.

Victor Meldrew starts abruptly at the sight of his fated nemesis: Lightning the Pichu, embodiment of light and warmth and general not-dark-dampness! The very antithesis of his sacred home, the basement! Flailing his pincers about in a panic, he hurriedly begins to bore down into the earth, carving himself a tunnel through the dirt into a nice, isolated place of darkness. Here he is safe. Here nobody can hurt him.

Up above, Lightning shrugs to herself and begins stroking her imaginary goatee, thinking up the mischief she's going to inflict on her opponent once he returns. Her cheeks begin to spark in delight as a particularly nasty idea occurs to her, and she tilts her head to look at the storm clouds above. The earth beneath her begins to rumble, and Lightning squeaks in surprise as Victor Meldrew emerges from below, buffeting her up into the air to land on the grass a few feet away with a startled oof. Now that's just not cool! Lightning wasn't done her plotting yet! Defiantly she looks back up at the dark sky, little bursts of static jumping from her cheeks in anticipation. A moment later a deafening clap of thunder sounds from above, and a bolt of lightning arcs perfectly down from the clouds to electrocute her opponent. Victor screams in agony as powerful jolts of electricity course through his bones, nearly frying him to a crisp. The poor Kabuto attempts to retreat into his shell in terror, but the electricity continues to zap him even there, and a small tendril of smoke emerges from the top of his shell.

At last the electric assault comes to a temporary stop, and Victor emerges, trembling, from his shell. Uncertainly he scrapes up a clod of mud from the grass beneath, uncoordinated pincers grasping at the earth uncertainly, and hurls it in Lightning's direction with all the remaining strength he can muster. Though certainly not fond of the mud, Lightning doesn't seem too fazed as the attack splatters over her fur, mucking it up a bit, but nothing too serious. Truly the last of Victor's strength is leaving him... but Lightning is determined to end this with a bang. Her tail stands straight up as she looks up at the storm clouds again, and another crack of thunder answers her call, streaking down to electrify the helpless Victor Meldrew once again. The bolt of lightning barely touches his shell before the Kabuto gives in and falls limply to his side, unconscious.

Zapi (1/2 left)
Pichu
Lightning
Health: 81%
Energy: 84%
Status: Clapping her hands together in glee. +2 Special Attack, -1 Speed.
Used: Nasty Plot ~ Thunder ~ Thunder

Murkrow (1/2 left)
Kabuto
Victor Meldrew
Health: 0%
Energy: 30%
Used: Dig (down) ~ Dig (up) ~ Mud Shot

Arena Status
  • It is raining (5 more actions).
  • There are several tears in the earth, and bits of molten rock are scattered everywhere.

Damage and Energy
  • Lightning's Health: 100% - 13% (Dig) - 6% (Mud Shot) = 81%
  • Lightning's Energy: 100% - 2% (Nasty Plot) - 7% (Thunder) - 7% (Thunder) = 84%
  • Victor Meldrew's Health: 30% - 23% (Thunder) - 4% (poison) - 23% (Thunder) = 0%
  • Victor Meldrew's Energy: 39% - 3% (Dig (down)) - 2% (Dig (up)) - 4% (Mud Shot) = 30%

Notes
  • Speed order: Lightning (40).
  • Murkrow sends out, then Zapi commands first.

I'll send out Nikki.
I know you don't like rain but on the bright side there are some really attractive looking molten rocks over there for you to stare at!

Alright, Lightning, you can't use your STAB anymore and you don't have anything that can hit Nikki super-effectively other than... mud-slap, so. We'll have to get a little creative, here!

Start out with a Magnet Rise! I'm so glad you have that move (and that I actually realized you have it before I submitted an entirely different command string). I don't think Nikki has anything that can knock you out of the air, but. We'll deal with that if it happens?

Next, wait and see what Nikki's going to do. If you can hit her with it, use Toxic; if she has a Substitute up, start a two-action Uproar; but if you can't hit her and she doesn't have a sub up, continue with your Nasty Plot of death and destruction.

The last action has a similar idea - wait and see what Nikki does before you act. If you are able to hit Nikki with Toxic and you haven't done so already, do so now. If Nikki is already poisoned, you are able to hit her or a Substitute, and you haven't already started an Uproar, start one now (for one action) - and if you already started an Uproar before, just continue it. If you can't hit her and she doesn't have a Substitute up, Nasty Plot.

Magnet Rise ~ Toxic / Uproar / Nasty Plot x2

I suppose the length of my DQ warning should be somewhat proportional to the actual DQ time, so, DQ warning for Murkrow. You have four days.

Whoops, sorry. I thought I already had :(

I don't want you to get hit by Toxic, so first set up a Substitute (20%). We'll wait for rain to stop naturally before using fire moves I think.

Second, use Yawn, followed by Protect.
If your substitute fails before you can use Yawn, Protect then instead and follow it up with a revenge Toxic.
(use protect on the last action if the sub fails after you use yawn)

Substitute (20%) ~ Yawn/Protect ~ Protect/Toxic

Round Eight

Zapi (1/2 left)
Pichu
Lightning
Energy: 84%
Status: Clapping her hands together in glee. +2 Special Attack, -1 Speed.

Murkrow (1/2 left)
Numel
Nikki
Ability: Simple
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Lightning's tail sticks straight up in shock as she sees who's to be her next opponent: her worst nemesis, the Ground-type! Oh no! She's doomed! Hopping about in a panic, the Pichu frantically begins sending static pulses into the ground beneath her, prodding at the earth's magnetic field until it bends to her will and lifts her up into the air. Once hovering a safe distance of a few feet off the ground, she allows herself a brief sigh of relief as she observes her opponent.

Nikki stares off into space, oblivious.

Battle? What battle? Shrugging off her opponent's expectant gaze, Nikki slooooowly drags herself over to a nearby piece of molten rock and contentedly bites off a chunk of it. Placing the bit of rock gently on the ground, she softly nudges it with her nose... and jumps back in surprise as a large portion of her life energy unexpectedly flows out of her, and the rock expands into, well, a bigger rock. Murkrow grumbles in embarrassment at the Substitute's lack of resemblance whatsoever to a Numel, but Nikki is pleased. Turning to her opponent at last, she stretches her front legs and gives off her loudest, most contagious yawn, before settling down for a nap of her own.

Up in the air, Lightning's ears and eyelids begin to droop against her will. No! It can't be naptime already! Lightning stares indignantly back at her trainer, and is shocked to find out that this wasn't Zapi's doing. What? What is this devilry?! Lightning will not stand for it. She takes a deep breath and begins screeching at the top of her lungs, erratically letting off little pulses of electricity to disrupt Nikki's sleep. Nikki bröööls and määrp määrps in despair as her piece of rock does absolutely nothing to stop the loathesome sound from reaching her ears. Very well. She'll just have to up her oblivious game. Closing her eyes, she focuses as hard as she can on the welcoming void of sleep, and eventually the noise around her fades away.

Lightning grumbles to herself as a protective transparent bubble balloons up around her opponent, making all her ruckus useless. She bravely screams on for another couple of moments, just in case, but alas, Nikki does not relent. Fine. Lightning will preserve her little lungs' strength for another time. Reluctantly she sits down and crosses her tiny arms over her chest, silent and still. At least she doesn't feel tired anymore.

Zapi (1/2 left)
Pichu
Lightning
Energy: 71%
Status: Irritated. Levitating (2 more actions). +2 Special Attack, -1 Speed.
Used: Magnet Rise ~ Uproar ~ Uproar

Murkrow (1/2 left)
Numel
Nikki
Ability: Simple
Health: 69%
Energy: 80%
Used: Substitute (20%) ~ Yawn ~ Protect

Arena Status
  • It is raining (2 more actions).
  • There are several tears in the earth, and bits of molten rock are scattered everywhere.

Damage and Energy
  • Lightning's Health: 81%
  • Lightning's Energy: 84% - 3% (Magnet Rise) - 5% (Uproar) - 5% (Uproar) = 71%
  • Nikki's Health: 100% - 20% (Substitute) - 11% (Uproar) = 69%
  • Nikki's Substitute: 20%
  • Nikki's Energy: 100% - 10% (Substitute) - 4% (Yawn) - 6% (Protect) = 80%

Notes
  • Speed order: Lightning (40) > Nikki (35).
  • (I asked MD how to describe the sound a Numel would make. That is what he gave me.)
  • Lightning's Uproar immediately jolted her out of her drowsiness.
  • Uproar was specified to be for two actions, and a Pokémon can't stop an Uproar once it's started, so Lightning was locked into Uproar on the third action even though she couldn't hit Nikki.
  • Murkrow commands first.

Last edited:
Damn, I didn't consider uproar waking itself up.

Okay, start with Amnesia to help weaken any further Uproars.

If your sub is still up for both turns, use Toxic followed by another Amnesia.

If your sub is down on the third action, use Protect instead.

If you have forgotten any of the moves listed above because you're a dope, use Will-o-Wisp instead of Toxic, Confide instead of Amnesia, or Earthquake instead of Protect, unless she's levitating in which case Heat Wave

Amnesia ~ Toxic/Will-o-Wisp ~ Amnesia/Protect/Earthquake/Heat Wave

Ah... Sorry this is so late. Also, I'd written a whole strategy based around Taunt before realizing Pichu can't learn it... Unfortunate.

Cook up another Nasty Plot to negate the effects of Amnesia, sort of. Then go for a one-action Uproar - we're just gonna have to take that burn/poison, unfortunately. Lastly, Magnet Rise again to avoid the possibility of Earthquake.

Nasty Plot ~ Uproar ~ Magnet Rise

Ugggh I'm so sorry you guys, I was really hoping I'd be able to just stick it out until this battle was over but I just don't have the time. :( You're going to have to post in the e-ref outpost and try to find a replacement. I'm really sorry to do this to you now when so few people are picking up battles anyway, but I'm not going to have enough free time to ref this any time in the forseeable future.

Hi, you two! Have I got a great deal for you! Your wait ends today: Sandstone-Shadow has agreed to take on this battle as part of her ref training, so she'll have a reffing up for the past round as soon as she's ready. (She may want to finish up her previous test battle first.) I'll be keeping an eye on this battle just to make sure everything goes smoothly, but I don't expect I'll really need to do anything. Please enjoy this limited-time only offer :o

Round Nine

Zapi (XO)
Pichu
Lightning the female Pichu
Ability: Static (Has a 30% chance of paralyzing attacking Pokémon on contact.)
Energy: 71%
Status: Irritated. Levitating (2 more actions). +2 Special Attack, -1 Speed.
Commands: Nasty Plot ~ Uproar ~ Magnet Rise

Murkrow (XO)
Numel
Nikki the female Numel
Ability: Simple (Doubles stat changes.)
Health: 69%
Energy: 80%
Commands: Amnesia ~ Toxic/Will-o-Wisp ~ Amnesia/Protect/Earthquake/Heat Wave

----------​

Lightning floats with an expression of fury on her tiny brow. She will make that little Numel pay for constantly getting in the way of her schemes. With a devious little laugh and a dark twinkle in her eyes, Lightning rubs her hands together as she hatches her next plan. Below her on the ground, Nikki lazily raises her head. She eyes her opponent with mild interest, but then consciously decides to forget about her. Nikki curls back up on the ground, closing her eyes and forgetting her troubles.

Lightning grumbles again, sounding more like thunder than her namesake. Then she lets loose another forceful scream. The amplified sound scorches her throat, but the power feels so exhilarating as it neatly avoids the non-existent ears of Nikki's substitute. Opening her eyes, Nikki winces at the awful sound and määrps again. Enough of these nap interruptions! Chewing up old sulfuric rock and hideous oozing things, Nikki spits the mixture straight up at Lightning. It hits with a squishy sound and Lightning squeals in disgust. She holds her hands out, waiting for the rain to wash away the slime, but the last raindrop fades just as the electricity fizzles beneath her and she plunks back to the ground.

Sparks crackle from Lightning's hands. It was so nice floating above the field - she isn't done yet! With a grunt, she lifts back into the air and sits back, feeling a little sick from the gross slime sinking into her fur. Nikki still watches the spot where Lightning was a moment ago, and it takes her a full minute to raise her head to where Lightning now hung. Words echo around inside Nikki's head: which move? What name? How long? She can't recall. Oh, wait! With a satisfied smile, Nikki shields herself with a glossy golden barrier. That'll show her, she thinks, then sits back down. Wait. Was that right? Well, it doesn't matter. Nikki closes her eyes.

----------​

Zapi (XO)
Pichu
Lightning the female Pichu
Ability: Static (Has a 30% chance of paralyzing attacking Pokémon on contact.)
Health: 79%
Energy: 60%
Status: Nauseous. Levitating (4 more actions). Toxic poisoned (2% this round, 3% next round). +4 Special Attack, -1 Speed.
Used: Nasty Plot ~ Uproar ~ Magnet Rise

Murkrow (XO)
Numel
Nikki the female Numel
Ability: Simple (Doubles stat changes.)
Health: 60%
Energy: 72%
Status: A bit confused. Has a 20% Substitute. Forgot Swagger. +4 Special Defense
Used: Amnesia ~ Toxic ~ Protect

Arena Status

Damage and Energy

• Lightning's health: 81% - 1% (Toxic poisoning) - 1% (Toxic poisoning) = 79%
  • Lightning's energy: 71% - 2% (Nasty Plot) - 5% (Uproar) - 4% (Magnet Rise) = 60%
  • Nikki's health: 69% - 9% (Uproar) = 60%
  • Nikki's energy: 80% - 2% (Amnesia) - 4% (Toxic) - 2% (Protect) = 72%

Action One

It is raining. Lightning is levitating.

Lightning uses Nasty Plot.
Energy: 2%

Nikki uses Amnesia.
Status: +(2x2) = +4 SpDef, forgot Swagger (rolled 62 out of 68)

Action Two

It is raining and Lightning is levitating. The rain stops at the end of this action. Lightning stops levitating at the end of this action.

Lightning uses Uproar (one-action).
Power: 9% + 4% (+4 SpAtk) - 4% (+4 SpDef) = 9%
Energy: 90/20 = 4.5% round up = 5%
Bypasses Nikki's Substitute

Nikki uses Toxic.
Energy: 4%
Accuracy: 90% (roll ≤ 90 for hit): rolled 77, hit
Power: 1% (2% round total)

Action Three

It is no longer raining. Lightning is no longer levitating.

Lightning uses Magnet Rise.
Energy: 4%
Toxic poisoning: 1% (2% round total)

Nikki uses Protect.
Move: Protect (rolled 2 out of 4)

Notes:

• Speed order: Lightning (40) > Nikki (35).
  • The rain stopped at the end of the second action.
  • Lightning stopped levitating on the end of the second action, but used Magnet Rise again on the third action, so she was only momentarily on the ground.
  • Nikki's Amnesia caused her to forget Swagger.
  • Pokemon can't understand more than 3 conditionals, so Nikki chose one randomly on the third action, and it was Protect.
  • Also hello! Let me know if I missed something or reffed something wrong or completely messed up your Pokemon's personality :)
  • Reffings probably won't be super speedy or anything but I'll do my best!
  • Zapi commands first.

Last edited:
I guess today is technically the DQ date but I forgot! (but I'm not really in a hurry to close this battle because I just started!) One-ish week DQ warning for Zapi.

Zapi hasn't been online since you posted the reffing so they might not know the battle is active again.

I did notice that :( But maybe they've got email notifications turned on for this thread and missed the first email or something! Maybe!

Alright, I'm going to wrap this up, since the DQ warning was over a year ago. Zapi is DQ'd and Murkrow wins. Reyn and Victor Meldrew both get 2 EXP, and Lightning and Nikki both get 1. Let's see if I can close this out in the Database...

Edit: Closed and waiting for mod approval!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom