• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[TOWN WINS] ASB Halloween Mafia

Re: [D7] ASB Halloween Mafia

Well, I don't have much to say to that. I haven't been very active (life isn't a good excuse since we all have one).

I still find claiming cop so early and blatantly to be a very clumsy mafia move, though.

It is also quite interesting that you were the one who first proposed the idea of mafia roles that flip town, immediately casting doubt on all of the results I'd delivered and all the ones I'd deliver after. This devalues my results and thus makes my results sow confusion instead of providing information. This also lines up with why the inspector, of all people, would survive into the final three players.

I'm sorry, Eifie, but I'm going to say you're the remaining mafia after all.

I liek Squirtles came forward as inspector on day 2 by accusing Keldeo. This would have been a really risky move for the mafia - either opening himself up to a counterclaim from a real inspector, or if there were no counterclaim, getting a mafia member killed. It's plausible for the mafia to pull this sort of gambit, since if there's no counterclaim the sacrifice definitely buys trust for the supposed inspector. However, Keldeo in particular would definitely not have agreed to this plan if it were proposed, since we now know Keldeo and MF were lovers. Keldeo wouldn't even have had to reveal they were lovers to argue against the plan - just raise some of the very sensible risk arguments against doing this at this stage, propose ILS claim to have inspected someone innocent first, try to argue for throwing Flora under the bus instead, etc.

Conveniently, of course, Keldeo wasn't lynched... because you then hopped in and claimed to have redirected ILS to Flora. And this bought you instant credibility too, since Flora flipping mafia appeared to confirm your roleclaim! In reality, we now know ILS's original inspection result was correct if no redirection happened at all. Curious, that.

If ILS were actually mafia trying to sacrifice Keldeo for credibility and Keldeo simply went rogue against what ILS thought was an agreed-upon plan (which seems a spectacularly poor idea - makes it obvious to the mafia that something is up and Keldeo can't be trusted, at which point Keldeo could just as well have privately revealed it to talk them out of the plan), then the fact Keldeo maintained innocence by bringing up the possibility of redirection or something else that might confuse inspection results, and then a real redirector just so happened to turn out to have redirected ILS to somebody else who just so happened to also be a mafia member, is just a big massive coincidence, a coincidence that was incredibly convenient for Keldeo while perfectly maintaining ILS's cover. Amazing, that!

Conversely, if you were mafia, you, Flora and Keldeo would simply have discussed and coordinated this - you knew that trying to counterclaim, or claim you redirected the inspection to somebody who's actually innocent, would pretty much inevitably sacrifice one of you anyway, so why not let the inevitable sacrifice buy some real apparent roleclaim credibility for the mafia? Maybe it was even Keldeo's idea (or MF's relayed through Keldeo) - lovers coming up with a plan to avoid being the sacrifice, without revealing that they're lovers.

In other circumstantial evidence, you immediately shot down my plan of having me and SS heal Keldeo and Keldeo heal ILS - which would have meant overdosing Keldeo, since unknown to me, we really were both doctors.

More importantly, if I was mafia, why on earth would I have stopped the Butterfree train yesterday and voted for Keldeo instead?
That one's easy: you realized Keldeo and MF were lovers, or might be lovers.

I thought it was a little weird how suddenly you turned completely on a dime there when there genuinely wasn't any unequivocal evidence for Keldeo being mafia over me; I honestly became pretty wary, because I couldn't help but read it as you deciding to support me because I said I thought you'd been playing very town, which wouldn't matter to a real town player.

So suppose Keldeo was the mafia don, and you had become conscious of the possibility of Keldeo and MF being lovers, but couldn't do anything about it, being a goon. If I was lynched, Keldeo and MF would have free rein to off you and ILS in any order. On the other hand, if Keldeo was lynched and they were lovers, the fact I'd just indicated I trusted you opened up the possibility that I'd side with you against ILS later, allowing for a mafia win after all. (Meanwhile, if they hadn't turned out to be lovers, MF was clearly still mafia-aligned what with the supposed town inspection of Keldeo, so after getting Keldeo lynched, you could have offed me and then told MF "I'm mafia; let's lynch ILS.")

Meanwhile, you'll recall ILS cast the tiebreaker vote between me and Keldeo. What's your theory on why he'd vote for Keldeo there, if he was mafia? If he'd known/suspected they were lovers and wanted to root them out, it would have been much easier for him to use his inspector credibility to get that done (either by claiming he'd inspected Keldeo again on a hunch, or by drawing attention to the fact Keldeo wasn't actually inspected by him, instead of throwing doubt on other inspections), instead of faking confusion and, apparently, gambling on you/me just happening to decide to vote for Keldeo. It's possible if it only just occurred to him they were lovers after all the discussion (even though the discussion didn't actually bring up that possibility), I suppose, but that's a very narrow window, compared to how your actions make sense even if you'd known or suspected for some time, since you didn't have the same credibility.

Meanwhile, if he was mafia and didn't suspect Keldeo and MF of being lovers, there was literally no reason for him to vote for Keldeo over me there.

While you've been very active, I think the evidence strongly points to you over ILS as the remaining mafia, and I don't think ILS's playing has honestly been at all suspicious - he's acted exactly like a genuine inspector who just doesn't have that much to say or get that much into in-depth strategizing.

I'd also like to add that we decided on inspecting Butterfree one night in particular. If Eifie's claim were true, they could have very easily redirected my inspection of Butterfree to Keldeo and I would get a mafia result. That way, not only do they off a very active player, but I would have lost all credibility and have been a very convenient scapegoat.

I'd also like to add that we decided on inspecting Butterfree one night in particular. If Eifie's claim were true, they could have very easily redirected my inspection of Butterfree to Keldeo and I would get a mafia result. That way, not only do they off a very active player, but I would have lost all credibility and have been a very convenient scapegoat.
Well, if Eifie's claim were true, you wouldn't have been a real inspector at all and would have just been making up innocuous results, and she would be innocent and wouldn't want to off an active player or make a scapegoat of you...? This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Midway through writing my big impressive reply I learned that Keldeo and MF couldn't win with me if I managed to pull off a win now anyway, and omg I really want to show everyone what's been going on in the mafia chat so let's just speed this along with another vote for myself.

I thought it was a little weird how suddenly you turned completely on a dime there when there genuinely wasn't any unequivocal evidence for Keldeo being mafia over me; I honestly became pretty wary, because I couldn't help but read it as you deciding to support me because I said I thought you'd been playing very town, which wouldn't matter to a real town player.

Actually, I was 100% supportive of Keldeo and MF's forbidden love and was going to commit suicide the next night so that they could win for the lulz, but then they decided to be all boring and not out themselves and collude behind my back (WHAT WERE YOU GUYS DOING, TELL ME) so I thought it'd be more fun to kill them. Since I thought they could still win with the mafia there is some very exciting blackmail in the scumchat that I am excited to reveal, but now that it's turned out that was all for naught it's just kind of a flop, alas.

Also, I have no idea how you people read "Bye bye, Butterfree!" as anything but a scum outing themself knowing they had a majority.

Also, I have no idea how you people read "Bye bye, Butterfree!" as anything but a scum outing themself knowing they had a majority.
It seemed pretty sensible, honestly! After all the discussion about how it was almost definitely either me or SS, and SS turning out innocent, it didn't surprise me people would just go "Welp, it's Butterfree!" - particularly you, since you were the only person not supposedly inspected innocent, so while others might have retained doubts about you, from your point of view it would've been extremely likely to be me. And it just makes for a great post. I believed you when you said you'd been waiting 72 hours to say it. (If ILS had already posted his inspection results, of course, and you'd still posted that, that'd have been another matter.)

At least Eifie seems confident about who the remaining Mafia member is. "ILS! I'm gonna KILLL you! Ahahahaha!" she crows.

I liek Squirtles and Butterfree exchange a look. "Actually..." Butterfree says.

It seems the tables have turned. Eifie backs away while the other two close in, still smiling almost too widely. "Ha! So that's how it is! Well, you'd better make it bloody for me!"

They don't. But in the end they can confirm that yes, the last mafia member has been eliminated.

Eifie is dead. She was Mafia.

Town wins!

ASB Central is quiet. The specter of the mafia has passed. There will be no more mysterious nighttime disappearances, no more tense morning discussions, no more lychings or gunshots or double-crosses.

"Well, I suppose we're going to have to start over," ILS says, watching the climbing sun glint off the dome of the central arena. "It's a big job for two people, but we can get ASB running again, right?"

"Actually..." Butterfree says. For while she might not have been concealing a mafia affiliation, she hadn't been entirely honest. Her enthusiasm was for busting crime rings, not fighting with magical monsters, and in fact she didn't even go to ASB.

And then there was one.

Below are the role PM's and night action log for the game. Overall what I was going for was a game with a fairly high amount of information (multiple cops and other inforoles), but where that information was unreliable (multiple blockers/redirectors). I hoped that this would lead to more meaty daytime discussions, and overall I'm pleased with how it worked out. I had a lot of fun GMing this game, and I hope you enjoyed playing it! (I 100% approve of the ridiculous amount of backstabbing and throwing people under buses that went on with the Mafia.)

As promised, everyone who's in ASB will receive a rare candy for playing, and ILS receives two for being the only ASB member to survive until the endgame.

ILS, Superbird

[hide=Cop]
You are a Cop! And a pretty hardened one, too; after all Asber's freak meteor showers, rampaging gods, and general chaos, you'd have to be. It'll take some doing, but you're prepared to go to any lengths to clean up this town, and that means hitting the streets and doing some investigating.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players have been eliminated. Once per night you may choose another player to inspect. At the end of the night you will receive a PM disclosing that player's alignment.

Dragonfree, Sandstone-Shadow

You are a Doctor! A doctor specializing in trauma medicine, to be specific, which is always handy in a town where most of the residents spend their days hanging around with destruction-slinging magical fightbeasts. It also happens to come in handy in situations where people keep turning up shot every morning. Your knowledge is the only thing that can save the Mafia's innocent victims--best of luck keeping the town safe.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players have been eliminated. Once per night you may choose another player to heal. If that player would die from a Mafia attack, their death will be prevented. However, if two or more doctors target the same player in one night, that player will die, regardless of whether or not they were targeted by any kill powers.

Cynder

You are a Spoilsport! Basically you hate fun--other people's fun, anyway. You have a lot of fun telling other people to knock it off, honestly. Get off my lawn with your magnifying glass! Oh, sure, you say you're a doctor, but I'm not buying it until I see your degree! And put that gun down already!

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players have been eliminated. Once per night you may target another player and prevent them from using any action that night.

Gzhoom

You are a Prankster! These are dark times, and what better way to remedy that than with a bit of humor? Oops, weren't expecting that whoopie cushion, were you? Hello, is your refrigerator running? Haha, you thought you were shooting that guy, but it was actually that other guy instead! Wait--what?

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players have been eliminated. Once per night you may choose two players, one of which may be yourself. If you do, any other night actions that would have targeted the first player target the second player instead, and vice versa.

Metallica Fanboy

You are a Casanova! Or maybe the Casanova, because after all, a town this size couldn't possibly be large enough for two such incredibly suave, incredibly interesting individuals, could it? As unquestionably the most eligible bachelor in all Asber, you have your pick of pretty much whoever you want to be your beau; your powers of seduction are simply legendary. So is your reputation as a player, but that one's undeserved; what you're really looking for is that one special person to spend the rest of your (possibly brief) life with, 'til death do you part, baby.

You are aligned with the Town and count as a member of that faction for the purposes of winning the game, but have unique win conditions. On the first night of the game, you must choose another player to seduce. This occurs before any night actions resolve and cannot be blocked or redirected by any disruptive powers. The chosen player will be informed of your identity, and from that point the two of you may communicate freely outside the game thread. If one of the two of you dies for any reason, the other of you will die as well. You win the game if you and your paramour are the only players remaining. If both you and your paramour share a faction, you will also win with the rest of that faction if you both survive to the end of the game.

Zero Moment

You are a Zoroark! You've been living a quiet life in Asber, using your advanced illusion powers to pass for a human, but the recent spate of murders are a bit worrying even for a master deceiver. After all, one well-placed bullet will shatter your illusion... although any unarmed trainers who decide to bother a zoroark, even one whose true form has been revealed, are in for a nasty surprise.

You are aligned neither with the mafia nor the town. You begin the game as a "cloaked" zoroark. You cannot win while in this form, but any inspector will be told you are Innocent. If you would be killed by any player (or multiple players) during the night, you will receive a PM informing you that your illusion has been dispelled. At this point, you win the game if you are lynched during the day. However, if you are killed during the night, you will lose instead, and any inspector will be told that you are Mafia.

Keldeo

You are the Mafia Don! As the person with the best taste in fashion, fast cars, and murder, it's only natural that you should have risen to the top of this fine criminal enterprise. Your underlings Eifie and Flora are a solid pair, too. This town doesn't stand a chance against the three of you!

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players outnumber Town-aligned players. You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread. Once per night, you may choose one other player to kill. Although any Mafia member may send a kill order, as Don, your word overrides any contradictory kill requests.

Eifie, Flora

You are a Mafia Goon! It may not be the most glamorous job around, but it definitely beats being on the other end of the gun. Plus it's a great excuse to wear a fancy suit. Together with your boss, Keldeo, and partner, Flora, you'll be ruling this town by the end of the year!

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players outnumber Town-aligned players. You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread. Once per night, you may choose one other player to kill. If the don (Keldeo) sends a contradictory order, then theirs will override yours. In the event of Keldeo's death, Eifie will become the new don, followed by Flora.

RedneckPhoenix

You are a Dogcatcher! Or, well, make that pokémon-catcher... Okay, actually, with some crazy serial killers running around out there or something, you're going to nab anyone you damn well please and lock them up, for the good of the community. Best of luck keeping the town safe!

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players are eliminated. Once per night you may choose one other player to throw in jail. If you choose to do so, any night action that player attempts will fail, and any night actions taken targeting that player will also fail.

Kratos Aurion

You are a doctor! With your advanced knowledge of trauma medicine and excellent bedside manner, you're sure to--

Haha, okay, it would probably be more accurate to say that you used to be a doctor. These days it would probably be more accurate to call you a Town Gossip. It's been a while since you've dusted off the ol' M.D.--these days, as director of a large and highly successful nursing home, your concerns run more to how to find more staff when your belligerent residents manage to drive another orderly to resignation or when that next shipment of bedpans is finally going to arrive than on how to stop that haemmorhage. In a building populated by lonely people without much better to do than spy on and judge their younger town counterparts, it would be virtually impossible to completely avoid the gossip. And why would you want to? It behooves you to know who's been visiting whom, just to be sure there's no foolin' going on...

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players are eliminated. Once per night, you may choose a player (including yourself) to hear all the gossip about. At the end of the night you will receive a PM detailing which players, if any, that player targeted with some action during that night phase.

Stryke

You are a Town Gossip! Or that's what everyone calls you, anyway--pretty rude, honestly. Just because you're interested in other people, just because you care about what happens to them, they call you a gossip. Typical! Hanging out under someone's window until two in the morning just to see who's coming and going at their place is a totally reasonable thing to do when people keep turning up dead! You're there for their protection!

You are aligned with the Town and win when all non-Town players are eliminated. Once per night, you may choose another player to watch. At the end of the night you will receive a PM detailing which players, if any, targeted your chosen individual during that night phase.
[/hide]

* note that although this role has the same name as Kratos', it actually has the inverse ability. I was just too lazy to come up with another name.

Actions N0

- MF seduces Keldeo
- Gzhoom switches himself with Sandstone-Shadow
- RedneckPhoenix jails Flora
- Cynder blocks MF (fails)
- ILS inspects Kratos Aurion (result: town)
- Superbird inspects Butterfree (result: town)
- Butterfree heals Sandstone-Shadow (redirects to Gzhoom)
- Sandstone-Shadow heals Eifie
- Stryke watches RedneckPhoenix (result: nada)
- Kratos Aurion hears gossip about MF (result: targets Keldeo)
- Keldeo shoots Superbird

--

Actions N1

- Gzhoom does nothing
- RedneckPhoenix jails MF
- Cynder does nothing
- ILS inspects Keldeo (result: Mafia)
- Butterfree heals Kratos Aurion
- Sandstone-Shadow heals Keldeo
- Stryke watches Kratos Aurion (result: targeted by Butterfree)
- Kratos Aurion hears gossip about Gzhoom (result: no target)
- Flora kills Stryke

--

Actions N2

- Gzhoom swaps ILS and Sandstone-Shadow
- RedneckPhoenix jails Butterfree
- Cynder blocks Gzhoom
- ILS inspects RedneckPhoenix (result: Town)
- Butterfree heals Kratos Aurion
- Sandstone-Shadow heals Eifie
- Kratos Aurion hears gossip about Zero Moment (result: no target)
- Keldeo kills RedneckPhoenix

--

Actions N3

- Gzhoom does nothing
- ILS inspects Gzhoom (result: Town)
- Butterfree heals Zero Moment
- Sandstone-Shadow heals ILS
- Kratos Aurion hears gossip about Sandstone-Shadow (result: targets ILS)
- Keldeo kills Kratos Aurion

--

Actions N4

- Gzhoom does nothing
- ILS inspects MF (result: Town)
- Butterfree heals ILS
- Sandstone-Shadow heals Gzhoom
- Keldeo kills Gzhoom (fails)

--

Actions N5

- Ghzoom does nothing
- ILS inspects Butterfree (result: Town)
- Butterfree heals Keldeo
- Eifie kills Gzhoom

--

Actions N6

- ILS inspects Eifie (result: Mafia)
- Butterfree heals ILS
- Eifie kills ILS (fails)

Honestly I'm just amazed that there were four inforoles but we still managed to kill two of them in the first two nights without even knowing what their roles were.

Good game, everyone :D That was a wild ride pretty much every phase (and we would have gotten away with it too, Eifie, if it weren't for you meddling goon and your tiebreaking lynch vote!)

Dang! That was super fun, good game all. And thanks for hosting, Negrek!

Butterfree, I must apologize for doubting your doctoring abilities. We should've gone after Keldeo together!

"Well, I suppose we're going to have to start over," ILS says, watching the climbing sun glint off the dome of the central arena. "It's a big job for two people, but we can get ASB running again, right?"

"Actually..." Butterfree says. For while she might not have been concealing a mafia affiliation, she hadn't been entirely honest. Her enthusiasm was for busting crime rings, not fighting with magical monsters, and in fact she didn't even go to ASB.

And then there was one.

Wait, Negrek, you've left us hanging. Who ultimately survives?! ILS or Butterfree?! The story continues...

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that anybody died, just that Butterfree wandered off because she has no interest in ASB lol.

Back
Top Bottom