• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

General Sprite Contest

idea for a later theme: splice any pokemon together, but use both bases spliced together.

^ Well, that's kinda what a splice is supposed to be, isn't it?

And how can you use two bases? That would make no sense.

Aiball.png

My first Ball and my entry.

How long is this contest going to go on? If it's going to be very long, shouldn't you put all the entries on the first post?

How long is this contest going to go on? If it's going to be very long, shouldn't you put all the entries on the first post?
Read the first post.

No, because after there's been about fifteen, they'll all be quoted and added into a single post. Then someone - probably me or some other [semi]decent spriter - will judge that round, presumably with the sprites in their judging post.

Then I'll link to the judging post in the first post so that it's easy to do an overview of the thread.

I think I'll enter one of my most recent sprites.

minuriussuv3lp9.gif

Minuriussu (revamped again, I know), an electric/steel evolution of Minun. Yes it's scratch.

S'at okay?

OKAY sprite collection. Will judge... shortly.

01 - pikachu629:
LaprasFire.png

02 - PichuK:
opd55l.gif

03 - Reventhas:
Elenaut.gif

04 - ultraviolet:
ectrequine.gif

05 - shadow_lugia:
poke4752uc7.png

06 - Zulo:
clown59609wb3.png
- NOTE TO ZULO: please do not enter BMPs in the future.
07 - Evoli:
2rdxmdd.png

08 - Mudkipz:
2yoevir.png

09 - Lucas755:
picture.php

09a - Treechu:
Glitchy.png
- NOTE TO TREECHU: I'm ignoring this because I can't judge this fairly. Sorry!
10 - Terry T:
Aiball.png

11 - Involuntary Twitch:
minuriussuv3lp9.gif

12 - Shadowstar:
picture.php

13 - Kai:
picture.php

14 - Bakuphoon:
dwe8md.png

15 - Xikaze:
relicanthevouo9.gif

VOTING COMES WHEN I CAN BE BUGGERED TO DO IT. Feel free to work out amongst yourselves what you want for the next round.

SURSKITTY SO MEEEAAA~N~~ HOW WILL I LIIIIVE~~ feel free to bitch about my scales if you so desire and argue with me about absolutely anything :3 CBA TO ACTUALLY CHECK TO SEE WHO GOT SECOND + THIRD BUT A WINNAR IS YOU ANYWAY also uh I got lazy for the last few sorry guys :'[

01 - pikachu629:
LaprasFire.png
- First thing that comes to mind is "remember to recolour the outlines". You've got quite a bit of random blue scattered throughout the sprite and that's pretty freaking jarring. It's also notable that it's really obvious that you took Torkoal's... cloud thing while making your sprite. This both shows laziness and is quite jarring to anyone who is familiar with most of the Pokemon sprites. Lapras's neck looks a bit thin, too, especially when compared to the size of the head. Do remember that just because it was that way in the original sprite doesn't mean that it's completely fine to just leave it as-is. 5/10: mostly docked from failing to recolour the outlines as the rest of your shortcuts (Hello, Camerupt) look mostly okay, even if it's pretty jarring.
02 - PichuK:
opd55l.gif
- First thing I think is "hey , that looks like a DP sprite: why does it have shading vaguely similar to FRLG except shinier and less finished?" The anatomy looks okay but the shading is egh. It's pretty consistent with FRLG-esque shading for the outlines in respect to the shading on the rest of it (although I'd suggest using more black for the outlines if you messed with it again) but why is the neutral shade so rare on the sprite? It's mostly either one step darker or lighter and it looks like it's supposed to be glowing or covered in plastic wrap or something. Too shiny by far, especially when compared to the pale bits on the face, which stuck to mostly sensible shading styles. 6.5/10: anatomy's not bad but wtfcoloring.
03 - Reventhas:
Elenaut.gif
- Psst dude be more careful about your palette: you've got random transparent bits where either white or black should go. It's also pretty busy: I can't really tell if the left ear (our right) is an ear or another arm or a tail or WHAT. Shading looks broadly okay: notable exceptions include the head right by the left (our right) eye and also the right (our left) ear-thing. However, it looks like that's probably the fault of Elekid and Wynaut having similar palettes so no gold star there. Bits are spliced fairly decently - although you probably want to have lighter outlines right by where the right (our left) arm joins the body - so uh. 7/10: be careful about what you're making transparent.
04 - ultraviolet:
ectrequine.gif
- buh @ giant hole where butt should be; buh @ dark spot near ribs; buh @ left forelimb being really bright while left backlimb is dark; buh @ random dithering near left thigh; head is big; body is too thin; tail doesn't look at ALL like any equine I can think of; ears are up too high; horn should probably be higher up on the head. I'm not very familiar with horses or donkeys or whatever this is supposed to be but o_O 5.5/10 I guess because I are nitpicky but the shading throws me off about as much as the anatomy sol.
05 - shadow_lugia:
poke4752uc7.png
Headridge is too dark; blue outline colour is too bright. Mostly okay though! 7/10
06 - Zulo:
clown59609wb3.png
- NOTE TO ZULO: please do not enter BMPs in the future. What the hell gave you the idea that the MSPaint default colours are good for anything? They aren't. Ever. Too saturated. Also, the coloured outlines of the Mime Jr when compared to the black outlines of the ball are jarring as all hell. Dude. No. 3/10: giant switches in art style are rarely a good thing.
07 - Evoli:
2rdxmdd.png
- Blue shading on the head is kind of random and has a different lightsource than the rest of the sprite. Patch of untouched pale brown on mane is annoying. Dark brown line on tail is weird and annoying. Visible back leg should probably have some highlight on it at least a bit. 6/10: it looks mostly okay otherwise.
08 - Mudkipz:
2yoevir.png
Ewww bright red. Suicune's headthing doesn't appear to be attached to anything and I don't think Suicune's tail is, either. It's also really cluttered and not very coherent. 6/10
09 - Lucas755:
picture.php
What the hell, a decnet-looking splice? Feet look weird, though: they don't seem to be attached to anything. 8/10, though: looks coherent.
09a - Treechu:
Glitchy.png
- Just because you said what it was supposed to be does not mean that I can tell.
10 - Terry T:
Aiball.png
In which surskitty whines about incompatible shading styles. Incoherent as all hell, random bits missing from the pokeball because you apparently didn't try to not cover over bits, top of the ear is missing, and the Pokeball in general looks extremely weird. 2/10
11 - Involuntary Twitch:
minuriussuv3lp9.gif
Head's a bit small and the outlining for the head is kind of bright - you probably want to use the darker outline colours more there - but otherwise good. Front legs are a bit skinny, especially when compared to the back legs. 8.5/10
12 - Shadowstar:
picture.php
- One of the things about wings is that they have to attach to something. These don't. Well, I suppose you could make a case for the left (our right) wing, but the right one certainly doesn't. The tail's not attached, either. And what the hell's with the pant-shading? Why is the one that would probably be more shadowed bright and self-lit with a random patch of shading? Also, way too bright when compared to outline colours. Not to mention that the Pokemon bits and the trainer bits don't have the same shading style in general.... 4/10 my wings are pasted on yay
13 - Kai:
picture.php
What the fuck @ Jirachi's white bits being so dark. Also, I'm pretty sure that the headpiece is darker than that. It's also pretty freaking obvious that you copyflipped half of the outline. You didn't shade most of it the same - other than the tail streamer things - but it's still pretty noticeable. Also, sprites tend to not be in profile. 7/10.
14 - Bakuphoon:
dwe8md.png
fuck the what anatomy?! @_@ I don't have the time or energy to point at every bit of anatomyfail or shadingfail here so why don't I just suggest that you... go look at this or something for whatever dinosaur you were thinking of and try to get the same general body structure. Then maybe I'll be more specific.
15 - Xikaze:
relicanthevouo9.gif
- Something about right before the tail bugs me and the back fins, too, but I can't point out what it is in particular. 9.5/10, though! Shading's all fine and dandy and some other things too.

Feel free to work out amongst yourselves what you want for the next round.

Back
Top Bottom