• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Driving

Valor

Fatality.
I don't understand what is with the younger generation and driving, so I must satisfy my curiosity.

How many here drive and if you don't, do you want to or not? Very generic topic, I know, but I really must find out.

As for me, I've been driving since I was 14.

I've just reached the UK legal age to take a driving test ^^ I don't think I'll bother learning to for a while though- there's nowhere I really need to drive to, and having and maintaining a car would just cost loads of money which I really don't have :3

I'm not a fan of driving a car...I'd like a motorbike but my dad forbode it before he died due to a pretty nasty accident he had before me or my siblings were born. (No he didn't die of a motorbike accident).

I might start learning once I have a job though. I can tell it's what my mum wants me to do, so...

No; I hate driving and suck at it anyway. At present there would be no real advantage to me being able to drive, as this campus sucks in terms of parking and I can walk everywhere I need to go anyway.

I'm waiting for cars that drive themselves. ;)

I've been learning for the last year or two, and I absolutely suck at it.
I want a licence, but I don't see the point in having my own car; I love trains, don't mind using buses and I walk where I can... plus, the environment's polluted enough without me adding to it.

Can't drive, don't like driving, family doesn't own enough cars/have a reasonable enough schedule to make it practical, pollution, maintenance, gas/insurance, etc., etc.. I usually don't go anywhere that public transportation can't take me anyway and like taking walks. And while the bus schedule in my area is twenty different kinds of useless and retarded, when I move to New York there will be absolutely no reason to own a car ever. Only idiots live in NYC and have cars.

I can technically drive, but if I do I need someone with a licence next to me to do it.
I'm really learning so that I know how, rather than actually having a car and driving anywhere (There is no way I could afford to do that).

I'm 17, and I drive. I had been learning to drive ever since I was 12, and I took all the classes right when I was first able to.

Driving terrifies me, but I'll have to do it since the public transport here sucks and everything is sooooo far away.

Can I, yes. Do I, no.
I only do when I need to, which isn't often.

Driving's fun. I don't understand why some people are able to but choose not to...

No, I never really get that either. But that's how it is for a lot of things, nothing to flabble about.

I drive essentially everywhere. Out of necessity, mind you, I live in a new neighborhood, and there's not much within walking distance, and my friends now live far away.

I want to learn how to drive manual.

Pfft, driving an automatic's not driving. It's steering.

Automatics are for pansies

But seriously, if where you live has decent public transport, why should a person have a car? They're expensive to buy, insure, repair, maintain and fuel. They're bad for both the environment and people, and virtually all roads in the UK are horrendously overcrowded.

16, driving with a permit. Got the permit and started taking the class required to get a normal license at the same time, finished the class; Now I'll have a proper license in about three months. I'm still at the point where driving is like like HEY THIS IS A NEW EXPERIENCE! COOL, I'M MOVING REALLY FAST AND DODGING THE ONCOMING OBSTACLES! It's fun.

I can't drive. I can't take the test yet, either, or do anything driving-related until I age...

I wish I could. I would have more freedom that way. Where I live, the public transit is very minimal (buses) and I really don't feel like I should not buy a car when I move out in the fuuuuutuuure because here it's really dumb not to know how to drive- it's not in a city, but there are cars and roads everywhere, and not as many paths as you would like. It would take ages just to get out of my neighborhood, and since most of the shops I go to are in the next city (which is rather close, but the roads to it are very large and car-filled). Yes, the roads are crowded, but with public transit how it is, and how close things are, it's important to have a car here.
Darn you crowded Orange County.

Well, I'm going to get my permit in a week or two (when school lets out for winter break).

I really want it because I don't like riding the bus and the sooner I can get my parking pass and drive to school next year the better. Along with driving myself home from band practices and such...

Not to mention there's nothing in my town within walking distance.

I have my temporary license and a car, and I could take the driving test right now if I wanted to. But the fact is that I'm not ready; we're supposed to get 30 hours of driving in first, 10 at night, and I still need the 10 night hours. I have yet to drive in snow, even though there's been snow here for a few weeks now.

I'm still at the point where it's kinda scary to drive. =/ I want to get in practice so it gets easier, but it's hard to start. Once I'm actually driving it's not as bad... but it's the beginning.

Plus I like driving with my mom more than my dad (one of them has to be with me) and my mom works second shift so I can only drive with her on the weekends, and we're usually content doing other stuff just around the house so we don't really drive. Ragghhr. I wish I had my license and was comfortable driving, because it would make getting home from after school stuff so much more convenient.

I'd like to, simply for the fact that I'd like not to have to beg my lazy-as-hell mom to drive me everywhere I need to go when SHE WON'T DO IT.
I'm old enough too, but Mom like always won't take me to get a permit. And you kinda need one to even start taking the offered class at my school. ><

I've got my licence, and I'm apparently considered a good driver, and I'm even adept enough to at least move manuals.
'Course I absolutely hate it. I'm neurotic as all hell and people are absolute idiots. I like the passenger seats thank you very much. DS, MP3 Player and Headphones is where it's at. So as much as everyone would like me to, whenever I have the choice I don't drive. But when it comes down to it, I can, all the really matters I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom