• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Cutenews...

#1 bro

FEELING GREAT, FEELING GOOD, HOW ARE YOU?
Is there any way to manually type in the date an article was posted (i.e, lie and say an article was written at an earlier time than it actually was)? If not, is there any similar script that does have this ability? I need this information for a site I'm planning to make.

EDIT: I think I might have posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. ^__^;;

wow. "^__^;;"?

I never use that emoticon

what has come over me

Most blogs allow pre- and post-dating of entries; CuteNews, to my knowledge, does not. Fusion News allows you to alter the date after you've already posted it, so you could post it and then edit it to a previous or later date right afterward, but it doesn't appear to let you adjust the date right as you're posting the initial entry.

But yes, CuteNews sucks on multiple levels--it's generally considered one of the least secure news systems around and has several other problems besides, which I doubt have all been fixed even with the recent "update" or whatever the hell that was. Use Fusion News, something else or do the updates manually.

Why do you need to do this, anyway?

Thanks a lot!

Why do you need to do this, anyway?
I figured someone would ask. Anyway, it's nothing shady, it's just that I'm planning to make a site that updates daily, and I want a large amount of posts already on the site before I show it to other people. The items posted won't be relevant to the dates they were posted on, so I can just write up about six months worth of posts before the site goes online, then when it does go online I can just make a new entry every day.

EDIT: Okay, so when was it that CuteNews became Completely Unacceptable when it comes to web design? I mean, about two years ago when I was involved with making websites it was the standard. Hmm.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was anything shady, I was just curious because I'm fairly sure it isn't used too often unless the poster is going to be away.

As for the "completely unacceptable" bit, that and again more recently, when someone went around hacking into every CuteNews installation he could find as a "hint" to tell them to upgrade. Plenty of people were turned off by the fact that it had a whole mess of errors in it (try searching the CN forums for "division by zero error" and see what you find) that were never fixed. Over the course of the previous TCoD vB forums there were probably no less than seven threads asking how to fix that one problem, since the problem was never properly addressed and people seemed to be unable to find the solution to the error on the official forums (it might have been stickied, but even if it was people still kept asking the same question there and elsewhere).

Thanks for the info. I'm going to install Fusion News on my site later tonight, wish me luck!

Anybody care to answer a question I have as to why any of you even need such advanced scripts for posting 'news', and don't just manually edit your index pages? :/

Personally, I use Fusion News instead of manually editing my index so that I don't have to deal with copying and pasting my news template all the time. With Fusion News, I have my news layout all set up, and all I have to do is type into a couple of text fields. I also use Fusion News so that people have the option to comment. Sure, I don't get comments very often, but occassionally I do, and I don't think that many people would go out of their way to comment about an update in the Cbox or anything. (Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's just my opinion.) ^^ I guess Fusion News is just more convenient for me.

Personally, I use Fusion News instead of manually editing my index so that I don't have to deal with copying and pasting my news template all the time. With Fusion News, I have my news layout all set up, and all I have to do is type into a couple of text fields. I also use Fusion News so that people have the option to comment. Sure, I don't get comments very often, but occassionally I do, and I don't think that many people would go out of their way to comment about an update in the Cbox or anything. (Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's just my opinion.) ^^ I guess Fusion News is just more convenient for me.

If your problem is templating, then just set yourself up with something that simplifies this process. If you also have a beef with comments, there isn't much of a problem in writing a simple comment system by yourself, or making use of the already good ones. The question here is why you require such a large script, if half of it is stuff that be simplified in a few simple steps.

Also, I agree with surskitty.

If your problem is templating, then just set yourself up with something that simplifies this process.
Like what? (I don't mean to sound sarcastic if I do; I'm genuinely curious.)

If you also have a beef with comments, there isn't much of a problem in writing a simple comment system by yourself, or making use of the already good ones. The question here is why you require such a large script, if half of it is stuff that be simplified in a few simple steps.
I could learn how to make my own, if I put my mind to it, but the thing is is that having my own commenting script isn't a huge priority for me, and as long as Fusion News works, I'm not really motivated to do something different, because honestly I'm fine using a big script if it accomplishes what I want done. I'd rather use my time making layouts or writing content for my site than writing my own custom scripts.

Like what? (I don't mean to sound sarcastic if I do; I'm genuinely curious.)

There are many templating engines made for their respective languages, which you can get started with easily. I don't know much about PHP templating, because most of the ones I tried were poorly designed.

Back
Top Bottom