• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sabrago, Desert Ruler

It looks quite interesting. I like it!

However, a few things: Number one, the way you drew it it looks like it's sideways. If you look in any official pokemon sprite, they're not facing sideways - they're facing forward, and as such a little bit of the other side of their body is visible. In the future I advise trying to alter your perspective so that your pokemon is pointed toward the bottom-left instead of just to the left. Try to put in more perspective. On that note, also experiment with angles a bit. For instance, Sabrago's back leg looks incredibly awkward and somewhat broken. Its foot is pointed at an unnatural angle, when logically it should just be on the ground.

Second, your lines. While they certainly aren't bad, some of them (especially on the head) seem to stiff and not curved enough. If you can, try to make future outlines a bit more curvy.

Third, shading. This actually looks quite good; however, you need more of it. Official pokemon sprites use up to 16 different colours in a palette; your sprite uses 7. You can add more shades of white for its teeth, some shades of grey for the inside of Sabrago's mouth, and most importantly, more gradualness on the torso fur. Instead of just going straight from light to dark, I'd suggest going (starting at the top and moving downwards) light, slightly darker, a bit dark, and then dark or shadowed in the chest area (on the opposite side from the light source.

In addition, have you read Butterfree's spriting guide on the main site yet? If not, I highly suggest you do; it is quite comprehensive and it helped me a great deal when I was starting out.

Finally, if you attach images to a post, as you did, it's fine for forum members because we can see that no problem. But for any visitors who view the thread to see your work, they can't see the attached images. Instead, I recommend using a website like ImageShack to upload your work to there and have them host it, and then use the button above where you type your message that looks like a picture to embed the image into your post somewhere.

As most people wouldn't, I don't take that as an insult. It does say above my suckish sprite THAT IT IS MY FIRST. I am terrible at shading, but at least i got the teeth right!:angry:

*Angry Rant, lol!*

As most people wouldn't, I don't take that as an insult. It does say above my suckish sprite THAT IT IS MY FIRST. I am terrible at shading, but at least i got the teeth right!:angry:

*Angry Rant, lol!*

if you admit that it's suckish, do you want to actually improve it or do you just want comments telling you that for a first scratch it's ~perfect~?

Back
Top Bottom