• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

spriting with this Mac

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
Not sure if this goes here, but it was related to spriting so meh.

So my dad's been trying to set me up with an art program that can let me sprite properly ever since we got this damn Mac. He's gotten me GIMP, Paintbrush and Pixen and frankly none of them work in the way I want them to. He keeps saying I'll get used to them in time and they'll work eventually and all that crap, but dammit, I want to sprite now, not use the next month of my life screaming and beating the Mac with a stick because it somehow deleted my near-finished sprite. Does anybody know of another (free) paint program that can sprite fairly decently, helpful explanations on how to sprite with one of the three aforementioned programs or a way to download Microsoft Paint (I am sorry if it sucks like all hell, but I work best with it, so stfu) onto a Mac?

no

microsoft paint is
(a) not free
(b) not going to run on a mac
(c) complete garbage

if you actually take this seriously, get over it and learn to use some good tools. don't languish in mediocrity because you might actually have to put some effort into improving.

if you actually take this seriously, get over it and learn to use some good tools. don't languish in mediocrity because you might actually have to put some effort into improving.

Well then, why don't you tell me exactly what tools I should be using?

GIMP is a good free tool and I'm not aware of any reason it cannot be used for spriting. You probably want Seashore, though, which is most of GIMP but with a Mac interface.

I'm pretty sure you can use all of those things that you mentioned just like paint while ignoring all of the other fancy features.

I know how you feel, I worked on Paint for years and got so used to it. Then I got GIMP and I didn't know any tools really. Everything was so different. I still can't work on GIMP as well as Paint but I can work on GIMP. You just need time to get used to it. Google up a guide about GIMP's buttons and find the ones the same as Paint's.

Pencil tool with a 1x1 brush. That is most of what you are looking for.

And colour-select set to 0%!

Well, I guess I'm lucky to have learned to sprite using all of those fancy features. Whenever I go into paint, I absolutely can't stand it.

In every drawing program I've seen there's a 1-pixel tool somewhere. You just have to dig pretty deep for it.

Paint is actually a decent program if you know how to use it. Good for making pics for rom hacking. You really don't want a fancy program for that kind of stuff.

Paint is atrocious.

Also, you really don't have to dig for it. o_O PENCIL, 1x1 brush. It's that easy!

It really depends on the program your using. Either that, or I'm an idiot for Corel X...

Anyways, if your spriting for a hack, paint is wonderful because you know exactly what colors you're using. You don't want to use bluring/realism/dodge/burn tools because you're limited to 16 or 256 colors, depending on your image. It's much easier to know which colors your using than lose them in making a gif. It's more accurate that way, however, it usually requires the changing of the pallete in the hack beforehand. I find paint a lot more useful than both Corel and Photoshop with spriting. Obvious that I've been drawing too many sprites there.

What the fuck?

You don't have to use tools that you don't want to, and somehow I think that ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO MODIFY YOUR PALETTE is more useful than always having the same freaking fugly palette for everything.

I'm trying to scratch sprite and at the moment GIMP's color selection stuffs seem insufficient for what I'm trying to do. :/ I also tried Pixen, but while that has an okay color selection, it comes with the drawback of not being able to shade the way I normally do on scratches. Um.

Google found this.

As surskitty said I have no idea what you're having trouble with, and I don't sprite anyway so I doubt that I'd be able to offer any help on my own, but someone felt like explaining how to make GIMP work for spriters and it's probably worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Back
Top Bottom