• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What's the canon timeline between the generations?

They might retcon the timeline, it wouldn't be contradictory if they say that they now take place at the same time or after XY. It wouldn't be a massive change since nothing in the originals place it in any particular time frame, so it wouldn't be a change too big for a remake.

It's not just megas, the people in XY also mention how Fairy type is a new thing.

I don't think they'll explain it, the only way I can think of it is if they just move the Hoenn games later in the timeline to be at the same time as XY. There's nothing in FRLG that would contradict that; they just mention the existence of Hoenn and Lanette, not any specific events.

In XY, Blue is stated to have visited Kalos at some point, and probably fairly recently. This would have to have taken place after gen I but before gen II, within that three-year time period; perhaps he went on that training trip immediately after Red became the league champion, and when he got back, he became Viridian gym leader.

If we then assume that said trip only took a month or two, and that gen III takes place only a few months after gen I (after the Sevii Islands thing takes place and PC connection is established) then it would make sense for XY to take place at the same time as RSE.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is Mega Evolution actually newly discovered? I thought it's been around for a long time, because they reference the old hero with the Lucario. Maybe they only recently invented things like Mega Rings, and those just haven't spread to Sinnoh or Kanto/Jhoto yet.

And Fairy-type is said to be a new 'classification', rather than a new type altogether, but that makes it the same as Steel-type in the transition from RBY to GSC anyway, so I don't see it as an issue -- there is a precedent, after all.

EDIT: Ninja.

Last edited:
That, or almost all Mega Evolution is post-E4 material.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprising, considering that even in XY the only Mega Evolving pre-E4 Pokémon are your Kanto starter, the two Lucario owned by Korrina and Lysandre's Gyarados (there's also Diantha's Gardevoir but that's during-E4 technically). The vast majority of Mega Evolutions in XY are down to the Mega Stone hunt that you can only conduct after becoming Champion.

As for the Fairy-type, let's not forget that GSC refers to the Steel-type as a ~new thing~ and then not only did RSE have Steel-types, but FRLG had them as well (ie Magnemite, Magneton).

I highly doubt that they'll mess with the timeline just to accomodate some technicalities which they've never even bothered with accomodating in previous remakes.

That, or almost all Mega Evolution is post-E4 material.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprising, considering that even in XY the only Mega Evolving pre-E4 Pokémon are your Kanto starter, the two Lucario owned by Korrina and Lysandre's Gyarados (there's also Diantha's Gardevoir but that's during-E4 technically). The vast majority of Mega Evolutions in XY are down to the Mega Stone hunt that you can only conduct after becoming Champion.

As for the Fairy-type, let's not forget that GSC refers to the Steel-type as a ~new thing~ and then not only did RSE have Steel-types, but FRLG had them as well (ie Magnemite, Magneton).

I highly doubt that they'll mess with the timeline just to accomodate some technicalities which they've never even bothered with accomodating in previous remakes.

Yeah, I doubt RSE will be moved. Pokémon continuity isn't THAT strict. Honestly, the timeline's more trivia than anything else.

Bumping this because ORAS has some...interesting spoilers in regards to the timeline.

I'm not very far myself but I've read spoilers saying that the games actually span across two different timelines. There's one with Mega Evolutions and one without though we don't know much more than that.

Proof 1

Proof 2

What do you guys think about these new revelations? Especially since they extended beyond ORAS.

It looks like there's different timelines, and that games that aren't remakes are replaced by remakes in the "canon" timeline or something like that. I still think OR/AS take place before X/Y, in that case. Nobody's really discovered Mega Evolution, it's been around for a while. Maybe... X/Y began this new alternate timeline and now and game without Mega Evolution is in a different timeline. But there are other remakes that change the story slightly. I don't know, but it's sure to spark many a crazy word.

In the oceanic museum we see that the Royal Unova is apparently still under construction but it trolls us by not saying how many years it is until it's completed.

Back
Top Bottom