• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

(Very Generic) Final Fantasy Question

Small thing, but one thing I like about XI is how it's cross platform. PC, PS2, and Xbox 360 players all in the same world.

*childish snicker* Can't wait for FF XXX.

Small thing, but one thing I like about XI is how it's cross platform. PC, PS2, and Xbox 360 players all in the same world.

*childish snicker* Can't wait for FF XXX.

Additionally, it really is the "same world" with the autotranslate system allowing people that speak different languages to communicate easily, so there's no regional servers. It's really interesting.

You want it for the PC though so you can have fun with .dat modding! Oh, and Windower. Probably more for Windower.

Additionally, it really is the "same world" with the autotranslate system allowing people that speak different languages to communicate easily, so there's no regional servers. It's really interesting.

You want it for the PC though so you can have fun with .dat modding! Oh, and Windower. Probably more for Windower.

When I played it for Computer, I found that its controllers were basically ported to the Keyboard... They really should have maybe a custom control scheme for the Keyboard and Mouse, rather than just having just the keyboard.

Definitely easier with a controller.

Anybody who expects much of a story in a main-series Final Fantasy game has probably missed the point.

No, no, I didn't say or even mean main series. I just said any FF, particularly another Tactics.

If I were to expect anything out of a main series FF, it would have to be similar to VIII, since VIII actually had somewhat of a coherent plot; mainly because it was pulling from Chrono Trigger for inspiration, because I want another Final Fantasy that has a Junction and Draw system. The Junction and Draw system in VIII allowed for one to creat the most overpowered characters, by junction -aga spells to you Elemental defense stat, so you can virtually nullify, or absorb any and every kind of attack. And get 99 Ultima Spells before the halfway point of Disc 2.

I hadn't meant that to be quite directed at you. More of a "haha that will never happen with the main series." I think Tactics used up all of their plotting ability for the sidegames, too.... FFXII probably has the best story out of the main series in that at no point did they pull anything completely out of their bums. So! That's... something, anyway.

FFVIII's plot lost my respect as soon as I heard the words 'time compression'. The mechanics look cool, but I'm not going to play it unless it has cutscene skip.

But it can't be worse than DoC. Nothing is worse than Dirge of Cerberus.

Like I've said before; I must be the only one who even remotely enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus.

I just really liked FFVIII's plot because I'm always a sucker for time travel. It happens when Chrono Trigger is the first game you play, and when you actually understand Chrono Cross' story. And VIII's final battle is one of the more intense fights I've played. In a turn based RPG.

The original Tactics was just ridiculously amazing. If you ask me though, the entire Square company seems to have just wasted all of their imagination on their IPs from the PSX era, like Xenogears, Threads of Fate, and Brave Fencer; Musashi. It was the good old days, when Square would be able to throw out like 5 games a year, and have them all be really good, except for Final Fantasy... Ever since then, we haven't seen anything good from Square themselves, and they've all become a bunch of... Well, Squares. We only see decent games that they publish, namely all of tri-Ace's games, and Grandia III... And I guess several people got sick of it, and left to form XSeed games...

Last edited:
i've hardly played final fantasy at all.

except i used to play crystal chronicles with my friends all the time. then i mysteriously quit and i don't know why.

If you ask me though, the entire Square company seems to have just wasted all of their imagination on their IPs from the PSX era, like Xenogears, Threads of Fate, and Brave Fencer; Musashi.

Indeed, they've tried to focus mostly on FF and... yeah, we get the status quo. I think they started their downfall when they merged with Enix, must be the aquisition of the producers of old-school rivals Dragon Quest. =P

Besides what you listed (actually I've really only played Brave Fencer Musashi out of those, good game, though), I really liked Einhander, though it was completely out of left field for Square.

Einhander was really good. Nothin' like a good shmup after doing the thinking for battles in an RPG =P

I personally think they started going downward with FFIX and X. Their merge with Enix had nothing to with it, except that it showed just how deperate they were for talent and imagination. It semi-worked; FFXII: I hate the way it plays with passion, but I like its story. Although I've never really gotten into any Enix published game except for tri-Ace's stuff; Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and Radiata Stories and Infinite Undiscovery were really good too. And I'm really looking forward to Resonance of Fate, by tri-Ace as well.

Back
Top Bottom