• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

I think I'll try offering a challenge again.

Format: 1v1 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, direct healing, indirect healing, Amnesia, Attract, Destiny Bond, Final Gambit, and Grudge?
Arena Description: Beside a Highway

The battle takes place in a grassy clearing right under the highway. Apart from the highway, the area is surrounded by trees. Once in a while some cars might drive by.

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, direct healing, indirect healing, Amnesia, Attract, Destiny Bond, Final Gambit, and Grudge?
Arena Description: Beside a Highway

The battle takes place in a grassy clearing right under the highway. Apart from the highway, the area is surrounded by trees. Once in a while some cars might drive by.

I'll take this!

It's already accepted, but daayyuum. Ain't no shenanigans gettin by in this battle. You're prepared for anything.

Format: 2v2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: Seven days
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Rest, Chills limited to 3 per pokemon, OHKOs
Arena Description: The office

Hello, hello? I wanted to record a message to give you an idea of the rule for battling in this wonderful establishment.
You may find youself and your pokemon feeling a little cramped in that room there, I know, as I, uh, have been battling in there myself before you came along. This battle is best suited to, erm, small Pokemon.
Maybe no bigger than a human. It is pretty cramped in there.

Anyway, on to the real rules. There are two doors to your left and right, and through them may come the animatronics. You know, Freddy, Chica, Bonnie, and...ah Foxy. He's my favorite. Erm, anyway.
There is a chance (30%) that they may peek their heads through the door, and will stay till the end of the next round.
Now, they are nothing to worry about! As long as you leave them alone, they should leave you alone. Remember to treat them with respect, or they will fight back and do 15% damage.
They will respond to moves that hit all targets though, so be careful.
Finished my last battle, time for a new one!

Mind if I take this? Lookin' for battles :D

QUOTES WITHIN QUOTES

Taking this battle, thread up in a minute.

who's ready for my return to ASB i'm so sorry for all the capslock

Format: 1 vs 1, single
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, weather moves, direct recovery moves (both health and energy)

Arena Description: THE BEE CUBE

WELCOME TO THE BEE CUBE. IMAGINE A HOLLOW CUBE OF LIVING BEES ABOUT THE SIZE OF HOWEVER BIG LUMIOSE CITY IS. THE BEE CUBE IS LINED ENTIRELY WITH SOUNDPROOF GLASS SO THAT NOBODY GETS STUNG. WE AE FIGHTING INSIDE THE GLASS CUBE, WHICH IS THE ONLY SAFE PLACE. THE BEE CUBE HAS A LIGHT SOURCE SOMEWHERE, BUT IT CANNOT BE SEEN. THIS MAKES THE BEE CUBE VERY WELL LIT INSIDE.

IF YOU NEED WATER, IT WILL APPEAR. SAME GOES FOR ANY MOVES THAT REQUIRE OUTSIDE SOURCES. IF IT IS NOT ALREADY IN THE BEE CUBE, IT WILL APPEAR. WHEN ANYTHING THAT HAS APPEARED IS NO LONGER NEEDED, IT DISAPPEARS.

THE GLASS INSIDE THE BEE CUBE CANNOT BE BROKEN. THE BEES DO NOT CARE IF YOU ATTACK THE GLASS. THEY ARE FURIOUS ANYWAY. THERE IS NO WEATHER INSIDE THE BEE CUBE. THERE IS NO EXIT TO THE BEE CUBE. HOW DID YOU EVEN GET INSIDE THE BEE CUBE? WHY ARE YOU INSIDE THE BEE CUBE?

Additional Rules: no bee pokemon (combee, vespiquen, beedrill)

Format:1 vs 1, single
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, weather moves, direct recovery moves (both health and energy)

WELCOME TO THE BEE CUBE. IMAGINE A HOLLOW CUBE OF LIVING BEES ABOUT THE SIZE OF HOWEVER BIG LUMIOSE CITY IS. THE BEE CUBE IS LINED ENTIRELY WITH SOUNDPROOF GLASS SO THAT NOBODY GETS STUNG. WE ARE FIGHTING INSIDE THE GLASS CUBE, WHICH IS THE ONLY SAFE PLACE. THE BEE CUBE HAS A LIGHT SOURCE SOMEWHERE, BUT IT CANNOT BE SEEN. THIS MAKES THE BEE CUBE VERY WELL LIT INSIDE.

IF YOU NEED WATER, IT WILL APPEAR. SAME GOES FOR ANY MOVES THAT REQUIRE OUTSIDE SOURCES. IF IT IS NOT ALREADY IN THE BEE CUBE, IT WILL APPEAR. WHEN ANYTHING THAT HAS APPEARED IS NO LONGER NEEDED, IT DISAPPEARS.

THE GLASS INSIDE THE BEE CUBE CANNOT BE BROKEN. THE BEES DO NOT CARE IF YOU ATTACK THE GLASS. THEY ARE FURIOUS ANYWAY. THERE IS NO WEATHER INSIDE THE BEE CUBE. THERE IS NO EXIT TO THE BEE CUBE. HOW DID YOU EVEN GET INSIDE THE BEE CUBE? WHY ARE YOU INSIDE THE BEE CUBE?

WELCOME TO THE BEE CUBE. IMAGINE A HOLLOW CUBE OF LIVING BEES ABOUT THE SIZE OF HOWEVER BIG LUMIOSE CITY IS. THE BEE CUBE IS LINED ENTIRELY WITH SOUNDPROOF GLASS SO THAT NOBODY GETS STUNG. WE AE FIGHTING INSIDE THE GLASS CUBE, WHICH IS THE ONLY SAFE PLACE. THE BEE CUBE HAS A LIGHT SOURCE SOMEWHERE, BUT IT CANNOT BE SEEN. THIS MAKES THE BEE CUBE VERY WELL LIT INSIDE.

WELCOME TO THE BEE CUBE. IMAGINE A HOLLOW CUBE OF LIVING BEES ABOUT THE SIZE OF HOWEVER BIG LUMIOSE CITY IS. THE BEE CUBE IS LINED ENTIRELY WITH SOUNDPROOF GLASS SO THAT NOBODY GETS STUNG. WE ARE FIGHTING INSIDE THE GLASS CUBE, WHICH IS THE ONLY SAFE PLACE. THE BEE CUBE HAS A LIGHT SOURCE SOMEWHERE, BUT IT CANNOT BE SEEN. THIS MAKES THE BEE CUBE VERY WELL LIT INSIDE.

Taking this :)

Taking this :)

ME

ME ME ME

I'M REFFING THIS

(CAN I REF IN THE FANCY TEXT??? OR WOULD THAT BEE TOO MUCH)

ME

ME ME ME

I'M REFFING THIS

(CAN I REF IN THE FANCY TEXT??? OR WOULD THAT BEE TOO MUCH)

MAYBE ONLY USE THE FANCY TEST WHEN SAYING THE BEE CUBE OTHERWISE IT MIGHT BE A BIT TOO MUCH

(BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH VM FOR TAKING THIS AND MAI FOR REFFING THIS)

Last edited:
With discussion with Noel and approval from Zhorken this battle here has been voided, and so I'm reposting it. Fresh for the taking:

Noel Vs. TruetoCheese

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO Moves, Direct Recovery Moves
Arena Description: Lake Under a Saucer

This battle takes place in a lake under a mysterious flying saucer! It doesn't do anything though.

Note: Noel will send out first, TruetoCheese will then send out and give commands.

Though I still have one battle awaiting a ref... gonna open this up to fill up my last slot.

Format: 3 vs 3 singles
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery, attract
Arena Description:
The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier’s Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta’s rules… or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

The following rules also apply:

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won’t add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points
If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E – 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig’s trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

May I take this?

May I ref this?

For Sangfroidish (who was too lazy to post this, good job)

Format: 2 v 2 single
DQ: 14 days
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: Bear City
It's just a forest. There's the occasional bear walking around, but they don't care if you hit them with attacks. But other than that, there is nothing interesting going on.
Additional Rules: -

For Sangfroidish (who was too lazy to post this, good job)

Format: 2 v 2 single
DQ: 14 days
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: Bear City
It's just a forest. There's the occasional bear walking around, but they don't care if you hit them with attacks. But other than that, there is nothing interesting going on.
Additional Rules: -

I'm too lazy to accept

You're on

Yo, TrueToCheese, you're up.

Format:4vs4 Double
Style:Switch
DQ:10 days
Damage Cap:50% because wynaut
Banned/Restricted Moves:OHKO and Direct Healing
Arena Description: A giant slice of swiss chees in the Mystery Zone.

I like giant everyday things arenas okay (see:giant litter box battle)

Welp, you did it now. You were trying to tweak in DP, since you didn't get the event Shaymin and Darkrai, and you accidentally saved in the Mystery Zone. Also, to punish you, or for comedic effect, either way, Arceus sent us to land on a piece of swiss cheese, an arena befitting the One True Cheesy Man himself.

Each action, there is a 20% chance your Pokemon will fall in a swiss cheese hole; it will attack last that action, since it has to wriggle out of the hole. If a move creates a hole underneath it and the Pokemon has already acted that action, it gets out as normal for the next action. If more than one falls into a hole, speed takes priority. There is no water for Surf, and if you Dig you risk losing your Pokemon to the mystery zone completly; Pokemon Abuse laws will prevent you from trying to Dig. I suppose you could make balls of cheese for Stone Edge, but if you remove cheese from the slice (as in for stone edge type attacks, or burning it with a Fire type move or something like that) any close Pokemon then have a 60% chance of falling into that hole. You can't fall off the slice, Invisible Walls prevent you from doing so.

Edit, per proposal:

At any time you may command your pokemon to disguise themselves in cheese. They take cheese and cover themselves in it. This creates a new hole near them. They become Cheese type and all their moves become Cheese type. Cheese type is as follows:

Type Chart: Normal, Fire, Water, Bug, Steel 2x effective against cheese
Electric, Fighting 1/2x effective against cheese
Poison, Psychic, Ghost 0x effective against cheese
Cheese 2x effective against Normal, Fairy, Psychic
1/2x effective against Fire
0x Effective against Rock, Steel

This increases their Evasion by 2 stages, because all that cheese, but lowers their Accuracy by one, because all that cheese is also in their eyes. This takes an entire action. This lasts about, oh, say 5 actions? This part's adjustable.

This is... kind of a mess. How about I take it down for the time being, polish it up, and I'll repost it later.

Voiding this challenge.

This is... kind of a mess. How about I take it down for the time being, polish it up, and I'll repost it later.

Voiding this challenge.

Alright, I think that's okay enough. It's been up a while and I think I've lost interest in a cheese style battle at this point. To be honest I kind of forgot I had this open. That and it's a double, and doubles aren't all that fun for me, so maybe fix that bit when you repost it? :P

Since Arylett is taking a break from ASB, I'm setting up another ref test battle for TrueToCheese. I'll still be the mentor, so we just need another battler to get this going.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Since Arylett is taking a break from ASB, I'm setting up another ref test battle for TrueToCheese. I'll still be the mentor, so we just need another battler to get this going.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Finally, caught it! CONDITIONALS OF DOOM, I tell you, CONDITIONALS OF DOOM.

Yooo, I feel bad about neglecting some of my Pokémon. :c Anyone up for something simple-ish and quick?

Format: 1vs1 single
Style: super-cool
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, Attract, Chill, Super Fang. Cute Charm and anything else that might cause infatuation have no effect. Moves that cause sleep as their primary effect are banned, and moves that cause sleep as a secondary effect have that secondary effect removed.

Arena Description: Tart Top! There's like a huge cute circular cream thing in the center with a cherry on top. If a Pokémon gets a lot of cream stuff on itself its speed is lowered by 2 stages until it gets the stuff off I guess. Why not. Stuff needed for moves like Surf and whatever magically appears for the purpose of the move and then disappears after.

Additional Rules: Music Dragon will be using Doctor Proctor the Exeggcute and I will be using Mimsy the Sentret, so we can skip sendouts.

Additional additional rules: please don't be like a gazillion times better than me :c

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom