The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Anime-Style Battling > ASB Central

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird
Default Re: Question Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone-Shadow View Post
Does Uproar wake up any Pokemon already asleep?
If we're going by the games' logic, then yes it does.

Quote:
If a Pokemon is forced awake from a Rest sleep (if that's even possible - not sure if there are any other moves that could potentially awaken a sleeping pokemon), what happens to the health restored? Does the Pokemon lose out on what it would have gained during the rest of sleep, gain it all at once, or gain it normally even though they're awake?
IIRC this depends on how Rest is reffed. Some refs make Rest recover health all in one go, while others split the recovered health over each action the pokémon is asleep (since Rest is always a three-action sleep). Fwiw the flavor text in the Database seems to encourage the latter interpretation, in which case the health gain stops abruptly when woken up, and however much has already been regained is what the pokémon is stuck with.

That said, I'm curious how this ties into the "resto chesto" strategy in the games, where you have the pokémon use Rest while holding a Chesto berry to restore all health in one go. A ruling on that might be useful.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Catalyst

Pronoun: he
Cynder is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Defense Curl affect the damage of Rollout as it does in the games?

ralts
ASB
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 AM
oh man, good times.

Pronoun: She
Eifie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynder View Post
Does Defense Curl affect the damage of Rollout as it does in the games?
Yes.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Negrek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does Uproar wake up any Pokemon already asleep?
Yup.

Quote:
If a Pokemon is forced awake from a Rest sleep (if that's even possible - not sure if there are any other moves that could potentially awaken a sleeping pokemon), what happens to the health restored? Does the Pokemon lose out on what it would have gained during the rest of sleep, gain it all at once, or gain it normally even though they're awake?
Since rest normally restores health over the course of three actions, the pokémon will gain as much health as is appropriate for the number of actions it stays asleep and no more. So if it sleeps for only one action before waking up, it will regain 33% of its health and have status healed. This still counts as one use of a direct-healing attack for attacks that have a restriction on those, even though the user didn't get the attack's full benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbird View Post
That said, I'm curious how this ties into the "resto chesto" strategy in the games, where you have the pokémon use Rest while holding a Chesto berry to restore all health in one go. A ruling on that might be useful.
A pokémon with a chesto berry will heal 33% health and any major status, then wake up.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM
A chickadee in love with the sky

Pronoun: she
Sandstone-Shadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Type-resist berries say they last for one full round after consumption - does that mean a) three actions after consuming (carrying over between rounds if necessary), b) the next full round after consuming, or c) the rest of the current round in which consumption occurred?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM
busy dizzy lazy

Three actions including the one where the berry was consumed.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 AM
Just leave it to me!

Pronoun: he, they
Keldeo is on a distinguished road

Would Hypnosis and other vision-based moves affect a Pokemon with eyes that always appear closed or obscured (like Abra, Cyndaquil, Swinub/Piloswine, Gulpin, Baltoy, Skitty, Panpour/Simipour, or Diggersby)? What about a Pokemon that's currently blinded by Flash, Mud-Slap, or the like?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Since it was ruled that you cannot cover your eyes to block hypnosis, hypnosis must have some non-visual component and therefore pokémon without eyes, with weird eyes, or currently blinded/with reduced vision would still be vulnerable.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 AM

Uproar's target is listed as random - how does this work in a double battle? I assume the actual effect of the damage is random (can the user's ally be a potential random target?), and does the "no falling asleep" part of it affect the whole field?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Fire emblem is great

Quote:
Uproar's target is listed as random - how does this work in a double battle? I assume the actual effect of the damage is random (can the user's ally be a potential random target?), and does the "no falling asleep" part of it affect the whole field?
In-game, I'm pretty sure Uproar's targeting works like Thrash or Outrage – so the user's ally isn't normally an option. "No falling asleep" affects the whole field, mostly because of the noise the user is making.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[23:36:02] ConcertofMadness: Shrekt
ConcertofMadness was muted by BoTTT Junior for 7 minutes. (Contained banned phrase)
[23:36:15] +Chuppa Cross: oh dingram
[23:36:20] +Chuppa Cross: can we ban rekt too
[23:36:25] @dingram: but i use rekt :(
[23:36:32] +Chuppa Cross: you shouldn't :(
[23:36:52] +Chuppa Cross: you cant ban shrekt and then still use rekt lol
Chuppa Cross was muted by BoTTT Junior for 7 minutes. (Contained banned phrase)
[23:37:00] Superbird: #REKT
[23:37:01] @dingram: noobs getting muted
[23:37:02] NeuroRapter: lmao
[23:37:03] @dingram: get rekt
[23:37:06] stealthfox2: lol
ConcertofMadness was unmuted by dingram.
Chuppa Cross was unmuted by dingram.

[23:37:13] ConcertofMadness: Freedom
[23:37:18] +Chuppa Cross: i walked into that
[23:37:20] paintcanz: chuppa was muted?
Chuppa Cross was muted by makiri for 7 minutes.
Actually the best match ever
Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
In-game, I'm pretty sure Uproar's targeting works like Thrash or Outrage – so the user's ally isn't normally an option. "No falling asleep" affects the whole field, mostly because of the noise the user is making.
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised this isn't a "damage the whole field" kind of move. Like, if it prevents anyone from sleeping, isn't it loud enough to damage everyone too? I don't recall the exact flavor of it, but.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:45 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Sound moves are tricky like that... why doesn't sing put everybody on the field to sleep, for example, assuming that the mon's singing loud enough for somebody on the other side of the field to hear it? Especially in contrast to perish song, which does affect the whole field. I think you could definitely make an argument that sound moves in general should affect all pokémon on the field, but that means changing the (in-game) attributes of a fair number of moves, now, and makes some of them (SING) substantially more powerful.

(TIL that Shadow Panic is a sound-based move!)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Hmm, okay. So, for Uproar, I'm going with "damage affects a random opponent, no-sleeping and wake-if-sleeping affects entire field?" Does that sound right, then?

(This may have been exactly what you guys just said but I'm still mildly confused so, clarifying haha)

Or, do the in-game effects mean only one random opponent can't sleep, not both?? Ahh.

Last edited by Sandstone-Shadow; 02-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Fire emblem is great

Quote:
Hmm, okay. So, for Uproar, I'm going with "damage affects a random opponent, no-sleeping and wake-if-sleeping affects entire field?" Does that sound right, then?

(This may have been exactly what you guys just said but I'm still mildly confused so, clarifying haha)

Or, do the in-game effects mean only one random opponent can't sleep, not both?? Ahh.
The first sentence is correct. From Bulbapedia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
While Uproar is being used, the user is making an uproar that prevents any Pokémon on the field that do not have Soundproof as their Ability from falling asleep from moves that can inflict sleep, Effect Spore, and disobedience.

In battles with multiple opponents, the user selects itself as the target, but hits an adjacent opponent that is selected at random upon each use of the move.

In Triple Battles, Uproar can wake up non-adjacent Pokémon, and prevent non-adjacent Pokémon from falling asleep.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Gotcha. Thanks, both of you!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:58 PM

How does Leech Life for energy work? I swear I've seen this before, or have seen another "normally restores health, but you can use it for energy" move before, but I can't seem to find a reference for this. The user expends energy to use the move, drains energy from the opponent, and restores energy to itself? Couldn't this end up in Leech Life costing zero energy to perform (if it costs 4% to use and restores 4% back to the user, draining 8% from the opponent). Is that right/is that okay?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Fire emblem is great

Quote:
How does Leech Life for energy work? I swear I've seen this before, or have seen another "normally restores health, but you can use it for energy" move before, but I can't seem to find a reference for this. The user expends energy to use the move, drains energy from the opponent, and restores energy to itself? Couldn't this end up in Leech Life costing zero energy to perform (if it costs 4% to use and restores 4% back to the user, draining 8% from the opponent). Is that right/is that okay?
It doesn't say so explicitly in the database for Leech Life. Or, now that I'm checking, Drain Punch or Horn Leech. However, the database does specifically say "This attack can be commanded to target health or energy" for Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Parabolic Charge, Draining Kiss, Dream Eater, and Oblivion Wing.

So, the database says that every special draining move can target either, but it doesn't say anything either way about physical draining moves. Do they work differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[23:53:13] +0riginalTrainer: This is a direct result of the patriarchy.
[23:53:51] +J.D.Deuce: feminism is awesome
[23:53:52] +Viscereal: uh please address me by my pronouns
[23:53:59] +Viscereal: loom/looms/loomself
[23:54:35] +0riginalTrainer: You white male cis scum, check you privilege. No matter how many documents you throw in front of me, the wage gap is real.
[23:54:58] +J.D.Deuce: you've been warned lol
[23:55:14] +B1SHARP: So you believe that fathers deserve the same leave after they have an at home newborn as mothers?
[23:55:40] +0riginalTrainer: So you believe that women should be drafted too?
[23:55:45] +B1SHARP: Yes
[23:55:45] +Viscereal: yes, when they have a baby shove itself through their dick they can get work off
[23:55:47] +Takron Galtos: I'd settle just for at-home leave actually be guarunteed without penalties for mothers.
[23:55:51] +Superbird: you know what we need right now
[23:55:53] +Takron Galtos: That's not even standard yet.
[23:56:00] +0riginalTrainer: What I hate about feminism is that it turns a lot of male issues into female issues, then calls it feminism.
[23:56:02] +Viscereal: challenge cup round robin?
[23:56:03] +Superbird: a tourney to distract everyone from controvertial discussion
[23:56:03] @amr97: another tournament
[23:56:06] @amr97: hurry hurry
[23:56:08] +Superbird: NAILED IT
[23:56:11] +KillerOrcas: woah there what happened here
Battle Spot Doubles (VGC 2015) Single Elimination Tournament created.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Just leave it to me!

Pronoun: he, they
Keldeo is on a distinguished road

Drain Punch for energy has definitely been used before (in this battle, for example.)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Quote:
It doesn't say so explicitly in the database for Leech Life. Or, now that I'm checking, Drain Punch or Horn Leech. However, the database does specifically say "This attack can be commanded to target health or energy" for Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Parabolic Charge, Draining Kiss, Dream Eater, and Oblivion Wing.

So, the database says that every special draining move can target either, but it doesn't say anything either way about physical draining moves. Do they work differently?
All draining moves can be used either for health or for energy.