• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[15] pathos vs Wargle (ref: Metallica Fanboy)

M&F

tikitok
Pronoun
any
1 vs 1
DQ: 3 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Pain Split, moves that KO the user; Chills are restricted to 3 uses in the match
Arena: Centrico Plaza

Centrico Plaza is the crown jewel resting in the core of Lumiose City. Just the Prism Tower, standing at the very center of it, is already one of the most widely recognized landmarks of the entire region; and even the rest of the location isn't too shabby, with verdant gardens, beautifully patterned cobblestone pathes, the sound of the river running underneath the floor, and a surrounding circle of mid-height Kalosian houses, the splendorous local arquitecture adorning the plaza as a foil. Many businesses have come into being at the ground floors of the area, but today, the world-famous roundway of egg hatching is all Asber's, with barriers sealing off all of the many roads leading into the city's very own hub -- and of course, curious crowds gathering at the edges to watch the competition.

For this round of the tournament, each player has been loaned a fresh Pokémon from Kalos. Battles in this round will not last longer than five rounds; if neither Pokémon has fainted by the end of the fifth round, the winning trainer will be the one with the greatest sum of health and energy remaining on their Pokémon.

pathos's rental Pokémon

honedge female Honedge <No Guard> @ Oran Berry

Wargle's rental Pokémon

binacle female Binacle <Sniper> @ Oran Berry

Up next:
1.Wargle issues commands
2.pathos issues commands

Last edited:
Re: [15] 1. Luftballon vs Wargle (ref: Metallica Fanboy)

Hmm, Methinks tough claws might have worked better but Sniper works.

((also why res I'm sure to lose now))

Taunt to start off, don't want anything bad to start off. Then get a nice little Night Slash up. Finish it off with a Shadow Claw.

IF:
You can't hit with an attack for any reason other than a substitute, use Swords Dance.

Taunt ~ Night Slash/Swords Dance ~ Shadow Claw/Swords Dance

Hrm... this movepool is pitiable. :c Oh well...

Protect against the taunt, set up a substitute for 25%, and autotomize.

Protect ~ Substitute (25%) ~ Autotomize

1 vs 1
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Pain Split, moves that KO the user; Chills are restricted to 3 uses in the match
Round 1
pathos (O)
Currently out: Honedge
2pyvof9.gif

Female Honedge [No Guard]
Health: 100% / Energy: 100%
Condition: Ready to give this a stab.
Commands: Protect ~ Substitute (20%) ~ Autotomize

Wargle (O)
Currently out: Binacle
b6r2ww.gif

Female Binacle [Sniper]
Health: 100% / Energy: 100%
Condition: Side-glaring at each other.
Commands: Taunt ~ Night Slash/Swords Dance ~ Shadow Claw/Swords Dance

Centrico Plaza is the crown jewel resting in the core of Lumiose City. Just the Prism Tower, standing at the very center of it, is already one of the most widely recognized landmarks of the entire region; and even the rest of the location isn't too shabby, with verdant gardens, beautifully patterned cobblestone pathes, the sound of the river running underneath the floor, and a surrounding circle of mid-height Kalosian houses, the splendorous local arquitecture adorning the plaza as a foil. Many businesses have come into being at the ground floors of the area, but today, the world-famous roundway of egg hatching is all Asber's, with barriers sealing off all of the many roads leading into the city's very own hub -- and of course, curious crowds gathering at the edges to watch the competition.

For this round of the tournament, each player has been loaned a fresh Pokémon from Kalos. Battles in this round will not last longer than five rounds; if neither Pokémon has fainted by the end of the fifth round, the winning trainer will be the one with the greatest sum of health and energy remaining on their Pokémon.
Arena status: Unchanged.

-----​

With one of the entrants leaving the ring of battle, the officials hustled to enter somebody else. Who would have thought that one of the referees on duty that day was a trainer who missed the entries? Coincidence had given pathos a chance, which he was eager to seize -- but Wargle wasn't about to go easy no matter who the opponent was. As is fit of a tournament, neither trainer was willing to back an inch down, at least not this time.

pathos then opened the Poké Ball which had just been hastily supplied to him. "It's a SWORD?" One of the officials nearby seemed utterly rapt with the Pokémon. "Ugh, Game Freak is so running out of ideas! What are they gonna do next, a barnac-" And of course Wargle would send out just while the guy was saying that. Of course. The referee shooed away the indignant roadie, then gave beginning to the procedures -- and with all set, the two Pokémon prepared to do battle to the backdrop of the Prism Tower.

Suddenly, Honedge sharply felt the absence of shield. Glancing from side to side, she instead settled on diving inside her sheath, glowing green as her opponent's additional comments about the creativity that went into her kin slid right off.

When she finally unsheathed herself, however, said foe was nonwhere to be seen. In a bit of a panic, she took a look around... And then, something fell from the tree overhead, scraping the back of the blade Pokémon from top to bottom as it hurtled groundward. An intergrally successful stealth attack, although the Two-Handed Pokémon would take a while to right herself back up again as she had landed on the side of the rock instead of the base.

Once she was in proper stance again, she advanced to attack more directly. Claws rippling with ethereal energy, she moved forth through one of the gardens by yanking herself along in alternated hops and stretches, readying for another slash against the unsuspecting target... But just as one of the clawed heads swung down, something else fell from the top of a tree. This, time, it was a thin Aegislash lookalike fashioned from slit tree branches, quite literally shielding the attack with its aegis of bark. Which actually shattered against the impact -- so much for that; further parries would have to rely on the blade.

Speaking of relying on the blade, Honedge had been casting a long gaze at the Prism Tower for inspiration... And then, flashing determination from her single eye, she tossed her sheath aside. Raising her edge, she turned to face the opponent, now preparing to move more recklessly than ever... But before she could strike, the round was ended.

Round 1 – End

pathos (O)
2pyvof9.gif

Health: 71% / Energy: 85%
Condition: Saying "en garde", while also not on guard.
Performed: Protect ~ Substitute (20%) ~ Autotomize

Honedge's Substitute
6zocqb.gif

Health: 11%

Wargle (O)
b6r2ww.gif

Female Binacle [Sniper]
Health: 100% / Energy: 88%
Condition: Arguing about whose fault the Aegislash incident was.
Performed: Taunt (missed) ~ Night Slash ~ Shadow Claw​

Additional notes:
- Taunt in the first action could not affect Honedge due to Protect.
- There's been some back-and-forth about this but I'm pretty sure Large Substitutes have 20% health.
- pathos commands first next round.

Er... it doesn't matter what 'large' subs have, I specified 25%. I didn't say 'large'. :v

ETA: There's never been a rule with a limit to sub sizes, and I don't appreciate the suggestion of a rule to one being created without it actually being written down anywhere, let alone without my involvement.

Last edited:
Er... it doesn't matter what 'large' subs have, I specified 25%. I didn't say 'large'. :v

ETA: There's never been a rule with a limit to sub sizes, and I don't appreciate the suggestion of a rule to one being created without it actually being written down anywhere, let alone without my involvement.

Sub sizes were standardised a loooong long time ago (circa 2011/2012 iirc) and it's stated in the move's description...

Yes, but it doesn't say those are the only sizes/options, and going by old asber, it was 100% allowed to create a sub that was larger.

It's... been like this for as long as I've been a ref? I think the exact size of a large Substitute has varied, but not whether you're restricted to the specified sizes.

Well idk how long you've been a ref but I have made 25% subs a lot and Negrek has never said anything?

By "but not whether you're restricted to the specified sizes." - do you mean that you're /not/? Because I know for sure we weren't. And I did not specify 'large'.

When we first started here, we did have a lot more freedom for sub sizes (up to 25%, and I think we might've even been able to choose the size down to the health percentage), but it changed a long time ago. It's been 10, 15, 20 since... the first TCoD reboot, I think? After the Great Fire of Asber?

From the original Attacks and Abilities guide, Last edited by Negrek; 12-16-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Substitutes come in three sizes: small (approximately 10% health), medium (about 15% health), and large (about 20% health).

Hrrr :| fine, but I am unhappy, and that rests on your shoulders.

Ok, honedge that is not mine... Let's Iron Defense as long as your sub is up. Once you're sub-less, start wackin' away with Sacred Sword. If she's got clones up, aim for the one with a shadow, and if she's protecting or otherwise unhittable, just keep using Iron Defense.

Iron Defense ~ Iron Defense / Sacred Sword x2

Hmm, she's faster so one Iron Defense will go off, but stop any others. Taunt her again. Then use dig. She'll waste her time failing iron defense. Make sure you move after her when you hit.

Taunt ~ Dig down ~ Dig attack (last)

1 vs 1
Round 2
pathos (O)
2pyvof9.gif

Health: 71% / Energy: 85%
Condition: Saying "en garde", while also not on guard.
Commands: Iron Defense ~ Iron Defense/Sacred Sword ~ Iron Defense/Sacred Sword

Honedge's Substitute
6zocqb.gif

Health: 11%

Wargle (O)
b6r2ww.gif

Female Binacle [Sniper]
Health: 100% / Energy: 88%
Condition: Arguing about whose fault the Aegislash incident was.
Commands: Taunt ~ Dig (down) ~ Dig (up)

-----​

Some hangups at half-time aside, the show continued. Honedge was thrilled to get back to the fight, but unfortunately, it was not yet that she'd bring the full might of her unburdened form to bear on the enemy -- instead, she lay on the ground and picked her sheath back up for a moment, but only in order to wield it as a hammer as she reforged herself into a longer, tougher blade.

As she underwent the smithing, however, she could see the enemy snickering -- both heads. One of them was like "get a load of that" and the other one was like "I know, right". Defensively, the sword Pokémon rose up to ask Binacle whatever they were smirking at -- which just prompted them to break into open laughter, each head flopping to a different direction.

Honedge waited for no further answer. She would not be mocked. She would only let out the most badass one-liner she could think of (to a reaction along the lines of "pffft, you practice that one in front of the mirror or something?"), and then approach while menacingly dragging her blade on the ground (which would've worked better if she were scraping it against some kind of flooring and not the dirt of the gardens), to finish up with a series of reckless, thoughtless swings and slashes that did about as much to cut the foe up as they did to wear her own edge down.

Still acting the box laughter, Binacle's head alternated between coming down to claw at the ground and coming back up to continue making fun of the enraged enemy. After some progress made, however, the twosome in one had to focus their full effort into the task at hand, digging a hole on the park grounds just barely wide enough to put the rock in through. Slow and steady would have to win the race, but at least, she figured it'd be priceless to leave the angry opponent steaming up there in the surface with no reachable target to strike.

... Or so they though, but somehow, just as she reached as far down as she could burrow, a familiar and unpleasant sensation sent ripples into her from behind the shared stone. Somehow, that Honedge had worked her way into the tunnel to continue her berserk attack. Moving all around in those cramped confines had to be working against her somehow, but there seemed to be no difference between the slicing and dicing below and above the surface...

So, of course, the barnacle Pokémon's two heads started arguing again. But one thing they agreed on: she had to get herself out of that hole. And so she did with alternating claws upwards, to finally break the surface again and, for lack of the true foe aboveground, land a shattering blow against the Substitute, snapping it in twain in one sick upwards motion. And of course, as she finally unearthed, so did the enemy, still attacking nonstop until the referee's interruption for the end of round.

Round 2 – End

pathos (O)
2pyvof9.gif

Health: 67% / Energy: 81%
Status: 2+ Defense, 2+ Speed. Taunted (1 more action). Weight halved.
Condition: Showing off her best, most poorly thought-out stabs.
Performed: Iron Defense ~ Struggle ~ Struggle

Honedge's Substitute
6zocqb.gif

Health: 0%

Wargle (O)
b6r2ww.gif

Female Binacle [Sniper]
Health: 90% / Energy: 80%
Condition: Arguing again, but also amused by the dead Substitute.
Performed: Taunt ~ Dig (down) ~ Dig (up)​

Additional notes:
- Due to being Taunted, Honedge Struggled instead of using Iron Defense in actions two and three.
- No Guard allows Pokémon to land blows even against enemies underground or midflight... This was fun to ref.
- Dig broke the Substitute on the third action.
- Wargle commands first next round.

I'm pretty sure honedge should've defaulted to sacred sword, given that it was an option, rather than struggling. In-game, you only struggle if you have no attack options or you're choiced into a non-attack option; and in asber I've always reffed it and always seen it reffed as opting to go with the attack option that's given.

Last edited:
Different refs tackle struggle vs actual offensive command differently. (I actually roll for it, but Honedge failed both rolls, so there it is.)

Honedge's commands stated to only use Secret Sword once her sub had been killed, and it was still up for those actions

Hmmm. What to do. We're still doing good, and feeling fine so that's good.

Right now our best option is specially. Unfortunately, your special pool is a little... lacking. So we need to get some help. Call in some rain to give you a boost. After that, get her with a good Scald. Hopefully it burns or you can use your Sniper for that. For your third action, if Honedge is burned, use Blizzard. If she is not burned, use Scald again.

IF:

For some reason you can't use rain dance, use Mud Slap instead. If you can't hit with scald or Blizzard for whatever reason except substitutes or double team clones, use Iron Defense

Rain dance/Mud Slap ~ Scald/Iron Defense ~ Scald/Blizzard/Iron Defense

Hmmm. I'm not sure how this'll work logically, but ... let's go for it...

Sacred Sword while they're rain dancing, then jump down the dig-tunnel so they can't hit you and Flash Cannon from there. If it takes a full action to go underground to where binacle can't hit you, take the action, but make sure they're fully unable to reach you.

Sacred Sword ~ Go Underground / Flash Cannon ~ Flash Cannon

Back
Top Bottom