The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Miscellaneous Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your religion? (Please don't abuse the multiple choice feature)
Atheism or agnosticism 84 72.41%
Christianity or Judaism 21 18.10%
Islam 3 2.59%
Sikhism 0 0%
Hinduism 0 0%
Paganism/neo-paganism 3 2.59%
Buddhism 2 1.72%
Other (please elaborate) 10 8.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Rubber dinghy rapids, bro!

Pronoun: He
goldenquagsire is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to goldenquagsire Send a message via MSN to goldenquagsire
Default Re: Religion

Atheist, raised atheist from a family of atheists from around three generations ago.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 PM
izombie, uzombie, weallzombie

Pronoun: Male
Teh Ebil Snorlax is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Teh Ebil Snorlax

Atheist. Raised Catholic, then went non-denominational, then went atheist.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Codian

Pronoun: Any
@lex is an unknown quantity at this point

Christian. And I believe that religion is more tradition that faith. Being Christian has less to do with believing that the son of God died for our sins than with celebrating Christmas. Likewise for all other religions.

So, I'd say anyone who exclusively celebrates Christmas and Easter and all of them Christian holidays is indeed Christian :D

And yeah, my grasp of other religions isn't the greatest...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Butterfree

Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point

I always dislike that "atheism" is included rather than "no religious beliefs" but whatevs, can't please everyone.

I'm an atheist. I've never been anything other than an atheist, and aside from at school no religious beliefs were ever presented to me.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Captain Husbando

Pronoun: she
Flora is on a distinguished road

i'm some sort of christian...

raised catholic but i have so many problems with it that i have excommunicated myself
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Maelstroms amidst steel

Stormecho is an unknown quantity at this point

I am searching for something to believe in that isn't Christian. So... agnostic?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
helt plötsligt blev det tyst

Tarvos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tarvos Send a message via Yahoo to Tarvos

Atheist. Also, Judaism is markedly different from Christianity and should be separate on the list. Also, Jewish religion differs from Jewish culture (i.e. I know people that consider themselves Jewish by ethnicity but are not religious).
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Bye

see ya has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to see ya

I was raised Christian by non-denominational mom (really, she was too lazy to stick to one denomination more than anything). My dad was an atheist, but he stayed out of our religious upbringing and wanted me and my brother to make our own decisions about religion. I was Christian for a long time, but I was never a very strong believer. After toying with a few other beliefs (Wicca and Buddhism), I eventually became a hard atheist, and I'm very happy with that.
This forum has been a big part of my history. I met many friends through here. Met the love of my life here. But if this board is going to become a place where people are punished simply for talking to people the admins don't like, this is no longer the place for me, and I can't even fucking stand res. Goodbye, TCoD. See you never. Congratulations on killing your ASB league.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM
knight at heart

Pronoun: e/they
Minish is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watershed View Post
Atheist. Also, Judaism is markedly different from Christianity and should be separate on the list. Also, Jewish religion differs from Jewish culture (i.e. I know people that consider themselves Jewish by ethnicity but are not religious).
Ahhh sorry, I really know absolutely nothing about Judaism. But I believe they are... somewhat connected or something so I put them together. :(
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
was Mercedes

Pronoun: Female
Mercy is an unknown quantity at this point

Agnostic, I guess? And I wasn't raised as anything. My parents wanted my sister and I to have the freedom of deciding.

i actually really couldn't care less, so... :x
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Ahhh sorry, I really know absolutely nothing about Judaism. But I believe they are... somewhat connected or something so I put them together. :(
Christianity is a descendant of Judaism - they share part of their holy books (most of the Old Testament is shared by both although I believe that the stories aren't written in exactly the same way...). You can barely classify them as being the same as the nature of their religion is very different: Christianity has core moral codes - Judaism doesn't.

Jews are not allowed to utter the name of God (often writing it as G-d or G!d) instead).

A lot more things are different.

But I don't really expect anybody to study that kind of stuff, so don't take it personally.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 AM
bye

Autumn is on a distinguished road

Judaism also doesn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

Pronoun: it
1. Luftballon is an unknown quantity at this point

can we lump judaism, christianity, and islam all into "abrahamic religions"? it's not like they're significantly different from each other. except, well, culturally?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 AM
has gone on an epic journey to find herself.

Pronoun: Female
Esque is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
can we lump judaism, christianity, and islam all into "abrahamic religions"? it's not like they're significantly different from each other. except, well, culturally?
No.
You'd have every orthodox member of each of them on your heels trying to kill you. Because while the book of faith is relatively the same, the practice is radically different. When it's existent, anyway.

Angel?

Love is a state of the heart. It's a lost art. Knowing is a thing I do. I know that stranger's life is delicate. I would give my life so that little girl, so that old man, could keep theirs. Not because mine is worth less, but because, just because they live, they are close to my heart. A piece of me breaks, when I see someone in pain. And maybe, I just don't want to ache for them. Perhaps I am a selfish child. But I have a goal. And I will do everything everything for anyone anyone. Have you forgotten? I told you my mission. I am out to save the world. If my life is required, then that is what I'm giving. Tell me, what do you see in the eyes of a child? Wonder? Love? Dreams? The world runs on dreams. Many false hopes. But if false hopes keep us alive, then perhaps they have a purpose beyond what I know. For I don't know much. All I know is I would do anything to help. And if you ever need me, all you have to do is say. Because that's my mission. That's my purpose. That's my goal.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
knight at heart

Pronoun: e/they
Minish is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watershed View Post
Jews are not allowed to utter the name of God (often writing it as G-d or G!d) instead).
...my religious studies exam was split up into different courses, all on the same exam, so Judaism would be right under Christianity even though we're meant to ignore it. Judaism wasn't mentioned, only 'G-d' and I seriously thought this was some kind of futuristic deity pronounced 'Jee-dee'. >_>

Which kind of proves just how shittily we're taught about this kind of stuff at school.

sreservoir: I would have used Abrahamic religions, but I decided to split most of them for the reason Esque said. And before that I was going to just put monotheism, but I supposed that's kind of vague and might offend someone easily offended.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafpool View Post
Judaism also doesn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.
No, since this is obviously a New Testament tenet - and Judaism only has like the first five books of the Old Testament. So that is implied, of course. But yes, that is a great, great difference with Christianity who has Jesus as a central character.

I agree, we should split all the Abrahamic religions because the core basis, even though they share a historical origin, their central ideas are very different. Noting the historical similarities is fun, though. Makes you see humans are diverse in their imagination but not their nature.

Cirrus - I wasn't taught the God thing at school either, I believe. Learnt it from reading about gods and mythology myself. Do not rely on formal, institutional education to teach you everything. It is very good at making you learn what they want you to learn. Curiosity is good.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Metapod

Pronoun: He or She.
Saith is an unknown quantity at this point

Voted other, 'cause I'm a Naytheist.
I believe a deity (deities?) exist, but I think he's a cock.
When I die, the first thing I want to do is plant my foot into his omnidimensional ball sacks.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Dirty minds think alike~

Pronoun: She
Wargle is an unknown quantity at this point

Well judging by the above post, I spent 2-3 years as a Naytheist. But then I went to full Atheism.

And is it just me, or is the whole 'Freedom of Religion' thing in the United States becoming more and more of a 'Freedom of Christianity' thing?

This is what I get from that rule anymore:
'Sure you can have whatever religion you want but unless you're Christian you're a Freak of Nature.'

Here is my scroll

Have a link to my eggs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdour View Post
WOAH WOAH WOAH. CHARIZARD AIN'T GOT NUTHIN ON MAH HOMEBWOII HOUNDOOM. DEM HORNS MAN. DEM HORNS.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
emotionless and cold as ice

Pronoun: It
spaekle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spaekle Send a message via Skype™ to spaekle

Well, according to my fundamentalist parents, "it's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion olololololo"

That was actually in response to the whole "references to god in pledge/on money/etc" debate but whatever.

Edit: I love the poll results so far, hahahaha.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Bye

see ya has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to see ya

Speaking of, you know what I really hate? People who say "Well having 'Under God' plastered on everything is a-okay because 'God' can mean any God, so it covers all religions lol!" Uuh, no it doesn't. What about polytheistic religions? Or...*gasp* people who don't have a God in the first place. It really is a BS argument, yet I hear it everywhere.
This forum has been a big part of my history. I met many friends through here. Met the love of my life here. But if this board is going to become a place where people are punished simply for talking to people the admins don't like, this is no longer the place for me, and I can't even fucking stand res. Goodbye, TCoD. See you never. Congratulations on killing your ASB league.