• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

BREAKFAST SPREADS

CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

• PEANUT BUTTER

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • JAM/JELLY/MARMALADE

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • NUTELLA

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • VEGEMITE/MARMITE/ETC.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF THESE (BUT I WILL POST ONE I DO LIKE)

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I DO NOT LIKE ANY OF THESE (BUT I ENJOY PRESSING BUTTONS)

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
When I hear the word "vegemite," I immediately think of that Men at Work song.

I've never had it though. What does it taste like?

When I hear the word "vegemite," I immediately think of that Men at Work song.

I've never had it though. What does it taste like?
it's like a salty, bitter taste, less sweet than marmite. kind of like mustard maybe sort of? don't spread it as thick as peanut butter or your tongue will wish to flee your mouth. It's kinda something you need to have a subtle amount of because it's pretty strong. people generally don't like it if they haven't grown up with it, and people usually try it by shoving a whole spoonful into their mouth for some reason.
I'd recommend trying it in a sandwich with tasty cheese first. if you try it on its own you probably won't like it. Some people like it with avacado on toast which I've never understood.

Marmite's selling point in the UK is that it's an acquired taste. Their slogan is famously 'You either love it or hate it' (current ad), and "marmite" is a colloquialism that means something divisive. The spread itself is yeast extract, the black goo left over from the fermentiation process, and is apparently very good for you. Sadly, I'm pretty much in the 'hate it' camp.

Although I've got a pretty excellent marmite-related anecdote: in first year, I lived with a girl who really liked marmite, so much that she brought with her to uni a giant, industrial-sized bucket of the stuff. The uni kitchen cupboards were tiny, so she kept it in her room, on the top of her bookshelf. Of course, one day she knocked it and it fell with considerable force onto her open laptop, sending smashed keys everywhere. She then had to fill out an insurance claim on it, to the effect of "it broke because I dropped about 5 kilos of marmite on it".

I usually put cream cheese or jely on my bagels, but when I am either too lazy or can't find either of the two, I use whipped cream.

Well, I hadn't seen this thread before and kind of thought that the options would be along the lines of "coco pops purée", "frosties spread" and "weetabix paste". :x

I only ever really eat cereals for breakfast. If I were out of cereals though, I would be eating porridge. If worst comes to worst, then probably jam. (Peanut butter is close second).

I find it alarming that people would choose to eat porridge for breakfast. or at all. D: gross!!!

I eat porridge, topped with large amounts of brown sugar and some strawberries.

Though most of the time, I'm running late and have to eat whatever cardboard-like cereal I find in the pantry.

As a finn your tastes in spreads seem very...odd/silly/disgusting/probably awesome to me.
BUTTER. Why don't you people use Butter? What about things like solid cheese slices, ham and slices of cucumber (not in my case of course, but y'know, just as an example). What things do you use for that?

For my mornings I usually have a slice of "Vaasan Piimälimppu" with butter, edam cheese and some ham. For the evenings I have about four slices of golden brown toast with butter and the aforementioned cheese.

Back
Top Bottom