Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please stop using joke pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhu Que View Post
Here's a thought: take the option away entirely and let's stop getting so caught up in what is nowadays a lesser detail.
How would this solve anything? There are people who identify as a specific gender and people who don't. Put the pronouns you accept. This is not hard.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM
:V

ultraviolet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhu Que View Post
Here's a thought: take the option away entirely and let's stop getting so caught up in what is nowadays a lesser detail.
it might be a lesser detail to you, but I think a lot of people still see gender as kind of a big deal, at least so you can easily refer to someone with a pronoun they're comfortable with! what exactly is difficult about putting an actual pronoun in a box that asks for a pronoun? people should be able to express what pronoun they prefer in their postbit for ease and clarity, and this shouldn't be taken away because some people feel the need to joke about it. if people can't use them properly, what exactly is bad about telling them off (and rightfully so) as opposed to removing the option entirely?

seriously guys, you have an avatar, a usertitle and a signature that already appears every time you post - be a hilarious special snowflake in those, and not in the one thing that people want to take seriously. on your profile, you can even put hilarious zany things in the bio! or in your photo albums! this shouldn't even be an issue. I really don't want to be a No Fun Police Mod, but ffs guys. it isn't hard. by putting jokes in the gender field you're making fun of something that's... actually a big deal to some people.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Oh, Reflux, you're so big and strong!

Pronoun: He
MentheLapin is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds a bit extreme but why not make having a specific pronoun like having an HTML signature, in that one would have to apply for one?
You know how some people have these little habits that get you down? Like Ernie. Ernie liked to chew gum. No. Not chew. Pop. Like, I come home this one day, and there's Ernie laying on the couch, chewin'... no, not chewin'... poppin'. So I said to him, I said, "Ernie, you pop that gum one more time..." And he did. So, I took the shotgun off the wall and fired two warning shots.

Into his head.

Twitter~Tumblr~Backloggery~DeviantART
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
bye

Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooregard Q. Kazoo View Post
It sounds a bit extreme but why not make having a specific pronoun like having an HTML signature, in that one would have to apply for one?
or everyone could just, y'know, put down the pronouns they want to be referred to with
Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Egg

Pronoun: Any
Zhu Que is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
it might be a lesser detail to you, but I think a lot of people still see gender as kind of a big deal, at least so you can easily refer to someone with a pronoun they're comfortable with! what exactly is difficult about putting an actual pronoun in a box that asks for a pronoun? people should be able to express what pronoun they prefer in their postbit for ease and clarity, and this shouldn't be taken away because some people feel the need to joke about it. if people can't use them properly, what exactly is bad about telling them off (and rightfully so) as opposed to removing the option entirely?

by putting jokes in the gender field you're making fun of something that's... actually a big deal to some people.
Because people will always be idiots, that's why.

Well apparently gender shouldn't be that big of a deal but one is being made out of it.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Pronoun: it
1. Luftballon is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe it never should have been an issue in the first place. that doesn't change that it is.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Pronoun: She
Medical Meccanica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Medical Meccanica Send a message via MSN to Medical Meccanica Send a message via Skype™ to Medical Meccanica

Although I don't like the self-righteous feel of the transgender community on this forum, I have to agree with their arguments here:

It's really not that hard to decide whether you want to be called he, she, it, something else entirely (not all up-and-up on other pronouns), or whether you really don't give a shit. If you feel you need to make jokes in that field, then you either have A. a really awful sense of humor or B. you're some kind of asshole or C. you're retarded or D. All of the above.

If you answered D, you're correct! Maybe you aren't so retarded after all.

I feel the pronoun field was a good solution to get people to stop bitching, and putting joke pronouns in the field will just cause more bitching. So, unless you want to be a drama-mongering whore, don't put a joke in the pronoun field.

tl;dr just put the serious thing you want to be called in the pronoun field and leave it at that. If you make jokes there you're an asswipe.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM
FOR THE YARD!!!!

Jolty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Meccanica View Post
Although I don't like the self-righteous feel of the transgender community on this forum
I like you, you're cool

and I pretty much agree with everything else you said
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Opinions always subject to change.

Pronoun: She
Loffyglu is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God, thank you so much for addressing this ;w; I feel like I remember seeing some instances of that sort of joking around with the feature, myself, (though I couldn't point out any specific ones)... And I agree, it is pretty disrespectful to those who really make a big deal out of gender pronouns :/ Ah well, hopefully they'll wise up soon.
“If you think of someone's good qualities as the umeboshi in an onigiri, it's as if their qualities are stuck to their back! People around the world are like onigiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back, they might not be able to see their umeboshi.”
— Tohru Honda, Fruits Basket

I want everyone who reads this to remember; you're loved. I don't care who you are; there's someone out there who loves you, someone who truly cares for you, someone who believes in you. Because, no matter who you are, you're special. Remember that. ♥

Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Back in black.

Lord of the Fireflies is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings.

If you think "It" is pejorative (and thinking about it, it is) well we could find an universal and respectful pronoun for everybody on the forum, because honestly I don't like playing around made-up pronouns much.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

The thing with respectful gender-neutral pronouns is that there are a lot of them to choose from. Hence a pronoun field. Is it honestly that difficult to follow whatever's in that field?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Back in black.

Lord of the Fireflies is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it honestly that difficult just to have the same for everybody (who doesn't want he/she)?

We could make a poll / vote / something idk
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Fireflies View Post
Is it honestly that difficult just to have the same for everybody (who doesn't want he/she)?

We could make a poll / vote / something idk
Is it honestly that difficult to use what people feel comfortable with?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

Yeah that's a terrible idea sorry.

Just pay attention to the field! Not that hard.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

I really can't wrap my brain around why people have difficulty with this concept.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Not quite e^(-(x-μ)˛/(2σ˛)) / (σ√(2π))

Pronoun: Male
bulbasaur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
I really can't wrap my brain around why people have difficulty with this concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isacc Newton
I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire
Common sense is not so common
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow (Wizard of Oz)
If I only had a brain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich von Schiller
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
You're not alone.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Banned

I'm sure people would be less uncomfortable if we just called everyone 'it'!

oh, wait, I think that's just
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Back from the dead.

Solstice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

If you have no use for the Pronoun field, ignore it. Just put in your gender with the Gender box instead.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

would you care to show me where the gender box is?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

He's probably confusing the pronoun drop-down box with "he", "she", "it" and "any" with a gender box. In which case I fully support the idea: most people identify as simply male or female, and if you're willing to identify as male or female there is absolutely no reason you can't just select "he" or "she" accordingly and be done with it.

Tags
gender, pronouns