Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree
Default Please stop using joke pronouns

Okay, look, guys.

The pronoun field in your profile is not for you to make jokes in. The gender field was changed into a pronoun field with a manual input option not because we wanted to let you fool around and get smart with it, but because we have a substantial population on the forums whose ability to specify a pronoun that doesn't make them cringe is actually important to them.

Using the pronoun field to put in some witty made-up word in reference to yourself is not only irritating to everyone who actually wants to refer to you in the third person, but is also trivializing an issue that actually matters to some people. When droves of members who are actually perfectly happy with standard pronouns type quirky witticisms into the pronoun field on a whim, individuals with a genuine wish to go by a nonstandard pronoun will just feel mocked and marginalized.

Keep the pronoun field serious. If you want to make a silly joke to be displayed in your postbit, just put it in your signature. Or pollute the Location field if you absolutely must.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Vinyl Scratch

Pronoun: He
Zero Moment is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Moment
Default Re: Please stop using joke pronouns

God, FINALLY this is officially adressed. It annoys me so much when I can't adress someone as he/she/whatever because the person put something random in the Gender field.
Originally Posted by Benuty
Baby jesus would hardly be offended by Lgbt people marrying after all he is .... baby jesus.
No. Baby Jesus will be very sad and he will cry. Do you want to make baby Jesus cry?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Mage of Blood

Mewtwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Would "She-cat" be acceptable? It clearly states that I am a her, and it refers to the Warriors cat series.

Still love me? Find me more easily on my twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
The forum got herpes when I wasn't looking? >:/

I guess it was hooking up with Serebii again. Goddamn it.

Skiyomi of SerebiiForums for the Espeons.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewtwo View Post
Would "She-cat" be acceptable? It clearly states that I am a her, and it refers to the Warriors cat series.
Preferably not. Unless you actually want people going she-cat, her-cat, and hers-cat at you. Otherwise, it's misusing the pronoun field.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Is there a good reason you want to be making references in the pronoun field to begin with? (hint: the answer is only yes if you feel that you are in fact not a "her" but a "her-cat".)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Fire emblem is great

Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Relatedly, is it okay to make jokes in the pronoun field as long as it's clear what your gender is?

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[23:53:13] +0riginalTrainer: This is a direct result of the patriarchy.
[23:53:51] +J.D.Deuce: feminism is awesome
[23:53:52] +Viscereal: uh please address me by my pronouns
[23:53:59] +Viscereal: loom/looms/loomself
[23:54:35] +0riginalTrainer: You white male cis scum, check you privilege. No matter how many documents you throw in front of me, the wage gap is real.
[23:54:58] +J.D.Deuce: you've been warned lol
[23:55:14] +B1SHARP: So you believe that fathers deserve the same leave after they have an at home newborn as mothers?
[23:55:40] +0riginalTrainer: So you believe that women should be drafted too?
[23:55:45] +B1SHARP: Yes
[23:55:45] +Viscereal: yes, when they have a baby shove itself through their dick they can get work off
[23:55:47] +Takron Galtos: I'd settle just for at-home leave actually be guarunteed without penalties for mothers.
[23:55:51] +Superbird: you know what we need right now
[23:55:53] +Takron Galtos: That's not even standard yet.
[23:56:00] +0riginalTrainer: What I hate about feminism is that it turns a lot of male issues into female issues, then calls it feminism.
[23:56:02] +Viscereal: challenge cup round robin?
[23:56:03] +Superbird: a tourney to distract everyone from controvertial discussion
[23:56:03] @amr97: another tournament
[23:56:06] @amr97: hurry hurry
[23:56:08] +Superbird: NAILED IT
[23:56:11] +KillerOrcas: woah there what happened here
Battle Spot Doubles (VGC 2015) Single Elimination Tournament created.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM

For God's sake, why do you have some uncontrollable compulsion to put a joke in it at all? Just put the actual pronoun you actually want people to use for you. This is not supposed to be hard.

People who actually need to specify a real nonstandard pronoun shouldn't have to suffer through people not taking them seriously because everybody else is putting random crap in the pronoun field just because they think it's funny.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Virile God-Snake Tower of Masculinity

Karkat Vantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Karkat Vantas Send a message via Skype™ to Karkat Vantas

What if I'm making it perfectly clear what gender I am without being funny or anything but also specifying that I don't particularly care how I'm referred to?

This does seem like a valid use for the system

ALL I SEE IS BLOOD
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkat Vantas View Post
What if I'm making it perfectly clear what gender I am without being funny or anything but also specifying that I don't particularly care how I'm referred to?

This does seem like a valid use for the system
There is an "any" option. It is a pronoun field, not a gender field. Incidentally, male/female are sexes, not genders.

Last edited by Adriane; 06-15-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Mmhm...

Espeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really quite understand why people feel the need to attempt to push the boundaries when it comes to correct usage of the pronoun field? Certainly people have the common courtesy and consideration to realise that the box should contain their desired gender pronouns and nothing else. Or is there some phenomenon where people absolutely must insist upon abusing the newer features?

It's already been stated that people take this seriously and can take offense at misuse of the pronoun field and Butterfree has already said to put your desired pronoun in the field ONLY. If you're uncertain then ask yourself firstly, "is this actually a pronoun?" and secondly "is this appropritate to me/do I want to be referred to by this pronoun?". If you genuinely still find yourself in a predicament, then feel free to ask but otherwise you're really making a fool of yourself.

Apologies to those of you who are using the field correctly.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

I very much appreciate this announcement!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM
future Singaporean

Pronoun: he
Ether's Bane is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ether's Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeon View Post
I don't really quite understand why people feel the need to attempt to push the boundaries when it comes to correct usage of the pronoun field? Certainly people have the common courtesy and consideration to realise that the box should contain their desired gender pronouns and nothing else. Or is there some phenomenon where people absolutely must insist upon abusing the newer features?

It's already been stated that people take this seriously and can take offense at misuse of the pronoun field and Butterfree has already said to put your desired pronoun in the field ONLY. If you're uncertain then ask yourself firstly, "is this actually a pronoun?" and secondly "is this appropritate to me/do I want to be referred to by this pronoun?". If you genuinely still find yourself in a predicament, then feel free to ask but otherwise you're really making a fool of yourself.

Apologies to those of you who are using the field correctly.
Is putting "irrelevant" misusing the pronoun field, and if so, why?

Last.fm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor Message View Post
This morning, after a long night of vodka martinis and vampire movies, I made my way to Starbucks for my usual fix-up - a venti mocha followed by a vanilla macchiato. While I was going over various musings in my head and listening to the Van Morrison song that was playing on the radio, I checked the voice mail on my phone and saw Virgin Mobile had left me a message. There had been a vital mistake on my last bill, and so I was being refunded for overcharges on my voice minutes. Later that day, I found one of those special vending machines from Coca-Cola's viral marketing campaign. It was a very memorable day.

Lemmy Kilmister
1945-2015
R.I.P.

\m/
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effercon View Post
Is putting "irrelevant" misusing the pronoun field, and if so, why?
Not particularly. Again, there is a default "any" option, though.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Back in black.

Lord of the Fireflies is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why we should have kept the old method; three choices: He / She / It, period.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Cat, are you drilling?

Not Meowth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Fireflies View Post
That's why we should have kept the old method; three choices: He / She / It, period.
Except not everyone is happy being classified as an "it" if they don't feel they fit under either "he" or "she".
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
"Old method" was a gender field, not a pronoun field. Also, I really dislike being called "it" so.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 AM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

I would venture to guess that most people don't want to be 'it'. o_o

I am not amused.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 AM
:V

ultraviolet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
way to miss the entire point of changing it in the first place!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Run.

Pronoun: vi/vir/vim; they
Hiikaru is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!

Quote:
No.

I'm not a girl or a boy, so I'm not about to put that (I don't even sign up for sites that require me to choose one of the two). But I am not an it! I'm not that and I don't want to say I am, but having only three options kind of forces my hand!

Also, there are lots of non-he/she/it pronouns! Some people are most comfortable being referred to by they/their/them, or ey/eir/eim, or ve/ver/vem, or are comfortable with any pronoun!

Girl and boy are not the only genders, and there are enough people in the world (plenty on this forum!) that feel really, really, really awful when you try to force them to be one of those. Non-standard pronouns aren't a way to say "oh no thank you I'll keep my gender to myself for now I'm afraid of someone trying to find me," they're actual important things to people that make them way more comfortable.

It's not the fault of anyone but the joking people that people are trying to make something serious into a joke. It's not the fault of the people who legitimately want to use pronouns that aren't "it"! So why do you want to punish them for it? They didn't do anything.

It's understandable if different pronouns are a little difficult for you (although they're really, really not as difficult to get used to as they look like they'd be!), but taking from non-binary-gendered people the option to put something besides "it" when it's clear they're extremely uncomfortable is mean.

Butterfree is great and has put something in place for this, and you want her to get rid of it now? People like it and enough people use it appropriately! The people who don't shouldn't dictate whether or not it exists.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Egg

Pronoun: Any
Zhu Que is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a thought: take the option away entirely and let's stop getting so caught up in what is nowadays a lesser detail.
Closed Thread

Tags
gender, pronouns