• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you were an admin here...

Retsu

uhhdushfkjwhf
This thread has been quite interesting in the past, so I figured reviving it would be a nice idea. ^^

So, as the thread title would suggest, this thread is for discussing what you would do with The Cave of Dragonflies Forums were it in your hands.

Stay civil, please. =P

(Please don't post if you're not going to include some serious suggestions. If you're just going to ban everyone and be an evil overlord, we really don't need to know about it. This is the reason I started a new thread in the first place.)

Here are some good posts from the previous version of this thread, so they aren't lost forever:

Watershed said:
I think I'd be a little stricter and harsher with spam.
---
DarkArmour said:
I would be more harsh about bullying and try to find a way to make users making more than say 2 accounts. Thats always niggled me.
Music Dragon said:
Uh, I don't really get what you're trying to say here; do you mean you want people to make three or more accounts each?
Walker said:
Alternatively it could mean he'd be harsher on people with multiple accounts, although it seems a bit hypocritical seeing as he has at least one alt.
Lucas754 said:
How do you know?
GW said:
---
GW said:
if I were admin I would revise the Bumping rule
---
ijy said:
I would infract people and perhaps make this site a stupid free zone.also i would bring back u.s vs world.
---
Zora of Termina said:
There would probably also be forum-exclusive purple styles. :/
---
Doctor Jimmy said:
Hrmm....actually, I wouldn't do anything while admin (besides enforce rules). But if I was head admin, I have a few things I would change. First, all mods and admins would be elected and chosen by a vote. This would take place every few months, and the old staff members would be removed from their positions. Everyone can vote. This keeps the staff balanced, but still useful. Likewise, anyone could be banned, but it must be voted upon by the mods and admins, and a unanimous vote must be reached. Members may also vote on this, if the staff can't come up with a decision. Regular mods and admins have the same powers they have now, but can be removed by a vote if necessary, or be thrown out when the next election comes. The head admin's purpose is only to manage the servers and organize the site's forums. The head admin wouldn't be removed from staff, but staff powers are limited.

Also, I'd like to do some contests. They would involve real prizes, like money or a plushie. The staff would carry out the contests, and anyone can participate. Contests can be widely varied. For example, let's say we were having a writing contest. People submit their stories, and the winner gets a prize mailed to them (no, we will not rape you).
Music Dragon said:
So basically, you want democracy. Why? Personally, I really don't think it would be a good idea...
Doctor Jimmy said:
I think it'll give people more say in what is done. Don't get me wrong: I like the staff so far. They don't abuse their powers or anything, and are good to other members. But, if the staff makes a change or does something that most people don't like, what would happen? Would members get a say in what happens in this situation? Its these kind of conflicts that I think could be solved by a democratic-kind of system. There isn't much bad stuff going on right now, but if it were to happen in the near future, then it would be hard to reverse, since people won't have a say in it.

I'm not saying my idea should be implemented, I'm just saying that's what I would work on if I was an admin.

i would also bring back personal stickies

maybe rep too

ALSO i would make a rule on enforcing serious posts for serious threads

Last edited:
Me? I'd have a few more mods, maybe some dedicated mods for certain parts of the forums, get some people to help with forum styles and working the database and such. That's about it, I suppose.

Oh! Oh oh oh oh! I'd put up rules that would disallow being in more than about three RPs at once. Leave places for other people, will ya? And I'd enforce literacy, and longer posts. Yeah. That's about it for real now.

Me? I'd have a few more mods, maybe some dedicated mods for certain parts of the forums

Why? The current mods are dealing with the terrible rule-breaking masses just fine.

I'd totally make it the best forum ever where peace reigns and everybody is intelligent and types coherently and we are all BEST FRIENDS and everybody is perfectly fair and we are all happy with everything and it is happysunshineland! :o

Except for the part where you can't actually do that because people suck.

Well to make a more serious post:

-Again, forum-exclusive purple styles
-I would be far more strict on people with bad grammar/multiple accounts.
-People who act like dicks probably wouldn't get away with it as often as they do

Other than that I'd probably be too busy trying to figure out vB to really change anything. >>

Why? The current mods are dealing with the terrible rule-breaking masses just fine.

I'd deal with the terrible rule-breaking masses better than everyone else.

No but seriously, I agree with VPLJ... I'd enforce a bit of a posting standard for something like the Debating Hall.

Doctor Jimmy said:
I think it'll give people more say in what is done. Don't get me wrong: I like the staff so far. They don't abuse their powers or anything, and are good to other members. But, if the staff makes a change or does something that most people don't like, what would happen? Would members get a say in what happens in this situation? Its these kind of conflicts that I think could be solved by a democratic-kind of system. There isn't much bad stuff going on right now, but if it were to happen in the near future, then it would be hard to reverse, since people won't have a say in it.

I'm not saying my idea should be implemented, I'm just saying that's what I would work on if I was an admin.
But... what's the point of introducing democracy? I'm pretty sure such a system would result in even more conflict. Sure, people aren't always happy with the decisions made as it is, but they wouldn't be any more satisfied if we went by majority vote. Besides, the staff members do take people's opinions into consideration...

I'd totally make it the best forum ever where peace reigns and everybody is intelligent and types coherently and we are all BEST FRIENDS and everybody is perfectly fair and we are all happy with everything and it is happysunshineland! :o

My forum is like that

Are you bitter about this thread, Butterfree?

No, I'm just being realistic as the only person posting here who actually has any experience with owning a large forum. :/

You go into it thinking, "I'm going to make this the best forum ever!" But then eventually you discover that you can't do anything intended to make the forum better without pissing off some portion of the memberbase, and you can't just press a button and make people become happy and get along. People will always be pissed at what you do and want something changed or changed back.

This thread is kind of annoying when you decide it should be all SERIOUS BUSINESS and CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS, yes, because that implies you actually think that I should be implementing all these suggestions. If I see something and think, "Oh, hey, I kind of want to do that!" I'll do it, sure, but most of the less trivial suggestions are things that I'm indifferent about and, while the poster likes the idea, are guaranteed to make other people bitch and moan. I can't sit here trying to be the good admin who does what the people want. The people never want the same thing.

By all means post what you would actually do if you were in my place, but please, don't be naive enough to think that that means I should do it. :/

Last edited:
- rules against being enforced more.
-Implement ideas of some other members. Things like contest I mean.
- Combining areas of the forum that are similiar.

maybe rep too

ewww rep :(

I'd probably bring back the 'your last post in thread x' button. It was quite useful for catching up on threads when you hadn't responded to or viewed in a while. :/

I think I'd at least make some sort of attempt to clean up Forum Games and the RP board, get rid of Clubs altogether, and prohibit advertising of forums in the Advertising forum. Perhaps I would merge the Webmastering, Scripting, and HTML and CSS forums.

I would also probably install a bunch of unnecessary hacks just for the hell of it, and make it a priority to have at least one style for each color of the rainbow, plus pink, black, and white.

EDIT: also, I would measure word count instead of post count, if that is at all possible.

EDIT 2: I would probably also take into consideration the idea of having a rep system only visible to you and no one else.

Turn it into a brainwashing HAPPY OPTIMISM LAND OF RAINBOWS 8D

No, really.

But seriously? I'd probably do exactly the same things I'm currently doing.

Fuck you, my suggestion was totally the best.

Some people do suck, but not anyone on this site. Compared to other sites I've been to, this site is happysunshineland. Most people follow the rules, there are no trolls (for the most part), and the staff respects members (to a degree; I don't trust authority, of any kind). At least we aren't involved in any forum wars....none of my posts have been deleted by a mod so far, and the site hasn't had any hackers or bots since I joined. So, I'd say we're pretty good.

I'm pretty sure such a system would result in even more conflict.

Well, how about this: we only use the voting system when a big change is being made (like a banning spree), and all other staff activity can be seen by others.

EDIT: also, I would measure word count penis compensation instead of post count, if that is at all possible.

Fixed

EDIT 2: I would probably also take into consideration the idea of having a rep system

Yes. Also, how about rep for posts: if a post is good, it gets a point up, and if its bad, it gets a point down (just like on YouTube or Digg). If a post has a low amount of rep, then it is hidden.

Back
Top Bottom