• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Headcanons

I don't have much in the way of headcanons other than that Ghetsis was planning on murdering N after he became the ruler of Unova (he's at least well-equipped for the job. His Hydreigon alone could topple N's entire team.)

I don't have much in the way of headcanons other than that Ghetsis was planning on murdering N after he became the ruler of Unova (he's at least well-equipped for the job. His Hydreigon alone could topple N's entire team.)

I think one common headcanon, judging by fanart, (maybe it is canon but I don't know) is that it was Ghetsis's Hydreigon that hurt his eye and arm.

I think one common headcanon, judging by fanart, (maybe it is canon but I don't know) is that it was Ghetsis's Hydreigon that hurt his eye and arm.
I wrote a fanfiction in which Ghetsis had tried to get control of Kyurem before the events of Black and White 1 and failed, hurting his arm and eye. It was probably his Hydreigon though, now that I think about it.

I think the mark of a good headcanon is something that makes you think twice about whether it is actually canon or not.

I think that the labs on Cinnabar mansion only got built after the mansion was destroyed.
I assume the mansion is where they did the experiments on Mew since that's where the diaries and Ditto are. I suppose I've got to wonder why they were doing experiments in a mansion in the first place but I guess once it blew up/burned down/whatever, they decided they wanted to have a proper lab, maybe one that was fireproof? Or maybe they weren't doing very legal science (they made Mewtwo, after all) and decided to become legit scientists afterwards.

The only problem with this theory is that Mr. Fuji quit being a scientist after the Mewtwo incident, right? That's what they say in Origins anyway. But in FRLG, there's a sign or a painting in the labs saying it was made by Dr. Fuji? Unless he funded the new labs and then quit science?

Not sure how Blaine fits into this either. He was friends with Mr. Fuji judging by the painting behind him in the gym, but why did he leave the key to the gym in the mansion?
Did the mansion only just burn down before you arrived? I guess that's why the burglars are there, because there's still stuff to loot.
But then, why is there someone guarding Cerulean Cave the first time you see it? Maybe it's the other high-level Pokémon there and not just Mewtwo. Also that contradicts what I said at the beginning about the lab being built afterwards.

Last edited:
I think the mark of a good headcanon is something that makes you think twice about whether it is actually canon or not.

I think that the labs on Cinnabar mansion only got built after the mansion was destroyed.
I assume the mansion is where they did the experiments on Mew since that's where the diaries and Ditto are. I suppose I've got to wonder why they were doing experiments in a mansion in the first place but I guess once it blew up/burned down/whatever, they decided they wanted to have a proper lab, maybe one that was fireproof? Or maybe they weren't doing very legal science (they made Mewtwo, after all) and decided to become legit scientists afterwards.

The only problem with this theory is that Mr. Fuji quit being a scientist after the Mewtwo incident, right? That's what they say in Origins anyway. But in FRLG, there's a sign or a painting in the labs saying it was made by Dr. Fuji? Unless he funded the new labs and then quit science?

Not sure how Blaine fits into this either. He was friends with Mr. Fuji judging by the painting behind him in the gym, but why did he leave the key to the gym in the mansion?
Did the mansion only just burn down before you arrived? I guess that's why the burglars are there, because there's still stuff to loot.
But then, why is there someone guarding Cerulean Cave the first time you see it? Maybe it's the other high-level Pokémon there and not just Mewtwo. Also that contradicts what I said at the beginning about the lab being built afterwards.
iirc the picture simply points to Fuji as the founder of the lab; it'd be perfectly reasonable for him to throw a bunch of cash (which, judging by the probably personally owned mansion, he must've had a lot of back in the day) at his former colleagues so they could go legit before leaving himself.

That said, I think it's well and likely that the lab already existed before the mansion was destroyed. As you've mentioned, though, chances are that Mewtwo wasn't much of an official or public experiment (specially in so far as you don't see anybody but the involved talking about it, even though it'd probably have caused a major scandal if all the details made it to the people), so that'd be why they were handling it in Fuji's unreasonably well-guarded (shutter gates with secret switches, anyone?) personal abode. Also, iirc, most of the diary scraps (and shutter gates) would be found in the basement, which probably means that most of the experiment took place all the way down there.

Also, for what it's worth, the burglars could just be squatting in there -- off the top of my head I don't recall any of them even talking about stealing things from the mansion -- or mistakingly assuming there are still things to loot (or even, reasonably assuming there are still things to loot behind the parts of the mansion most people haven't yet managed to find their way through; as a matter of fact, the player can indeed still find some items to loot around the mansion, such as TM23 Solarbeam). As for Blaine, it could also be that he either: a) takes the whole "puzzle" thing a little way too far and genuinely expects any challengers to be able to navigate the entire mansion, or b) just throws the keys away someplace where he doesn't expect them to be found when he doesn't want to be bothered. It's also reasonable to imagine that somebody dropped a key to gym in the escape from the Mewtwo event (and this could have even happened a longer time ago but nobody went to bother of navigating the entire mansion just to retrieve those keys, or nobody who went all the way down there managed to find them since it's basically a needle in a haystack), but it couldn't have been the only key -- after all, Blaine himself, and his gym trainers as well, managed to both get in the gym and lock it from the inside.

I don't have many, but these are the headcanons I thought out for a long time. xP

• There is only one Mewtwo. At first, it resided at Cerulean Cave, until Red attempted to catch it. Mewtwo severely injured Red in retaliation and fled. It now resides at Pokémon Village in the Kalos region.
  • During the genetic mutations of Mewtwo is when the time when Mega Evolutions were recently discovered in Kanto. About that time, scientists found two defunct Mega Stones. They then took some of Mewtwo's abilities and placed them in the two Mega Stones, with the first Mega Stone increasing the physical power of Mewtwo, and the second increasing it's special power. Along with that, Mewtwo was originally going to be much powerful, more so than its Mega Evolutions, until this event occurred.
  • The clothing that Sawk and Throh wear is actually clothing. It isn't man-made, but made by the silk of the Sewaddle line and fallen vines.
  • Pokémon are semi-immortal. They can die, but not from moves such as Acid and Fissure.
  • In Magnezone's Platinum entry, it mentions how scientists try to give it an evolution, but failed. These scientists were trying to give Magnezone a Mega Evolution.

Sorry for bumping, It's not too late is it? Here are mine, if you're wondering:

Kabutops is an ancient Scyther, or a distant relative of them.

Cubone helmets are not the skulls of their dead parents, more like the skulls of prey given to the Cubone from their parents as protection... Think about it from a logical standpoint, Cubones are baby Marowak, and it would be unwise to let your child go out unarmed and unprotected into a world where there's creatures that will murder you on sight.

Arceus didn't create shit, It's just Sinnoh Mythology.

Humans in the Pokemon world are Psychic-type, as demonstrated by Sabrina.

From R/B/G/Y to X/Y, 5 years have passed.

The clothing that Sawk and Throh wear is actually clothing. It isn't man-made, but made by the silk of the Sewaddle line and fallen vines.

This! But extended to most (if not all) of the Pokémon that wear clothes, not just those two. In a realistic Pokémon world where every individual of a species didn't have to look the same due to game console limitations, you'd see clothed Pokémon with a lot more variety than just the "standard outfit" shown in the games/etc... like a Machoke living in colder climates might wear a cloak or fur coat or something, stuff like that.

Cubone helmets are not the skulls of their dead parents, more like the skulls of prey given to the Cubone from their parents as protection...

This too! Not necessarily prey so much as "whatever skulls were found lying around," which could be prey skulls or "random corpse they found out in the wilderness" skulls or even in some cases skulls of dead ancestors (...so it could very well be the skull of the Cubone's grandmother, but except in rare cases like the one in Lavender Town--which is the only one that Pokédex was referring to originally, anyway!--not the mother.)

====

And here's one I just thought of:

Unova and Kalos (and presumably any future regions) exist in an alternate universe, not part of the same world that the first four generations' regions existed in. Orre may possibly be part of this alternate universe as well, if you assume that it really was intended to be the Pokémon world's take on Arizona (yeah, you can transfer Pokémon between the Orre games and 3rd-gen games... but that doesn't mean much when you consider that Colosseum and XD can both transfer to the same games despite taking place years apart from each other... being in another universe isn't really a stretch at this point, since it's already obvious that the transfer of Pokémon between those games only exists for gameplay purposes.)

In the Gen 1-4 universe, the Pokémon world is very similar to our Earth in terms of how countries/continents are laid out (there are no oceans bordering Arizona or deserts in New York, for example), and most countries still have the same names as in real life (though there are some differences, it's mostly only noticeable when it comes to the names of smaller areas--like some regions of Japan--having different names. But not all, as shown by Kanto.) So there is no "Unova" in this universe, but there is a New York, which is part of the United States of America rather than whatever unnamed country Unova is supposed to be part of. The Gen 1-4 universe's Earth has a different history from our Earth, but most of the changes resulted from the presence of Pokémon and technology taking a different path (their computer and medical technologies are way ahead of ours, and they have things like Pokéballs of course... but modern weapons seem to be all but nonexistent aside from the occasional use of explosives); until you get to parts where major differences branched off (technology developing differently being the big one), this world's history would look pretty familiar--"like our history but with more Pokémon," basically.

In the Gen 5+ universe, on the other hand, Earth is a lot further off from real-world Earth as we know it. Names of countries are pretty much ALL different, and almost no real-world Earth names for smaller regions are used (with Kanto, oddly, being the exception), the shape of landmasses and their climate/terrain is sometimes drastically different from what we're familiar with (Arizona having an ocean adjacent to it, for example) on top of the smaller differences already present in the Gen 1-4 universe, and so on. Culture and language are more homogenous across the whole world in this universe than they are in the Gen 1-4 universe (so you'll find ancient Japanese-style shrines set up in the equivalent of New York, pretty much everyone seems to speak the same language with only a rare few exceptions, and so on), and the Gen 5+ Earth's history is probably even more drastically different from our own than the Gen 1-4 universe's history was.

====

Also, the Elephant is a mythical creature in the Pokémon world that has never actually existed. Some researchers thought it would be funny to slip in Elephant references in some of the Kanto region's Pokédex entries, figuring that nobody except fellow Pokémon researchers would be reading them too closely and they (already knowing that Elephants don't exist) would get the joke.

Unfortunately, their assumptions were wrong, and now belief in the existence of Elephants has become a lot more widespread across Kanto... leading a few to go so far as searching for them in remote areas with Raichus and Gastlies in tow (since, according to the Pokédex, those two Pokémon seem to have an unusual and unexplained ability to incapacitate the mythical beast which no other Pokémon has been credited with.)

The trainer classes. Almost all trainers have a class, right? And each class generally seems to have its own dress code of sorts, varying by region. This idea began with the Ace Trainers hinting that there's some organization that decides who is and isn't an ace trainer.

So, to train and battle pokémon, you need a trainer's license, right? Well, those can be issued either by the Pokémon League Association or by Pokémon Professors (who are, or course, league-certified to do so). To keep everything in order, and to help with providing basic battle training to new trainers, when the Association issues ID's to new trainers, it requires them to register as part of a certain trainer class. Each class has an associated "guild," which distributes resources to help them get started as a trainer (such as poké balls and potions) and a starter pokémon. These guilds have certain dress codes, and some have specific requirements for joining. For example, the Rich Boy/Lass guild is expensive to join but offers certain perks such as the ability to buy advanced items like Hyper Potions without the gym badges that would be necessary to purchase them at an official Pokémart, and the Ace Trainer guild is open only to already-skilled trainers, or ones who show tremendous promise, and at a certain point Ace Trainers who haven't yet left the guild are transferred to the Veteran class. Some, such as the Youngster, School Kid, Camper, Picknicker, and Bug Catcher classes, are open only to minors, and others, like the Firebreather, Kindler, Psychic, Black Belt, Battle Girl, Dragon Tamer, and Bird Keeper classes, require their members to be focused on a specific trade or set of types (the Pokémon Breeder class is open only to trainers with a breeding license, for example), and others cater to trainers with certain hobbies, such as the Hiker and Swimmer classes. Of course, Pokémon Professors can issue general Trainer IDs without needing the trainer to specify a class, and most of the Evil Teams have their own uniforms and operate outside the law anyway, so they don't comply with this restriction.

I like to believe that Wallace and Glacia are currently in a secret relationship beknownst only to them and maybe Lisia and Steven. It's not forbidden love or anything, they just don't feel like being hounded by the paparazzi/obsessed fans. :p

Hoopa is the reason why so many Pokémon are displaced throughout the region post Groundon/Kyogre battle. After all, it can put things in different dimensions/places...

Zinnia is much older than she looks (I'm guessing late twenties, early thirties), and the Aster she was referring to was her daughter from an as of unknown man. The reason why she has a Whismur of all Pokémon is that Whismur is prone to crying loudly, and Aster was a baby...

Hydreigon are not evil Pokémon at all, despite what their dex entry says. After all, you see good people like Iris use them! The reason why they're so violent and prone to trying to slaughter everything in their path is because they grew up blind as Deino and Zweilous, but the sudden ability to see as they finally grow eyes in their final evolution causes sensory overload and makes them incredibly panicky and terrified of their surroundings. They can however still be tamed like any other Pokémon, but because of their unpredictably violent nature, they need to spend a lot of time being rehabilitated so they can be used to their new sense.

In a similar vein, Gyarados CAN become incredibly terrifying and vicious, but they actually have really good temperaments despite their aggressive appearance. After all, there are places like Sootopolis City that are surrounded by those things, yet they're still doing well for themselves. What I'm trying to say is, that it's surprisingly hard to make a Gyarados angry.

I think Glacia being Russian is a common headcanon, I'm not sure if there's anything in the game backing it up.

Anywhere in Scandinavia is possible, but we know at least that Russia exists in-universe.

They'll probably retcon it into a Russian-based region since that seems to be the case with the United States and Unova. Though seriously, I'd really love to play a game with a Russia/Norway based region.

They'll probably retcon it into a Russian-based region since that seems to be the case with the United States and Unova. Though seriously, I'd really love to play a game with a Russia/Norway based region.

It is a bit weird though, in the PWT they still call Lt. Surge American. I mean I get that there's places in America that aren't New York but I'd have thought they'd try to phase out references to the real world by the time BW2 came out. I don't think there are any Pokédex entries talking about Indian elephants past gen 2 or so. Incidentally, I think the same also goes for references to real-world animals.

Another thing to think about is how big are the regions? Is one "square" in BW's overworld cover the same area as one in XY? If so the Pokémon world map would be really different since New York and France would be the same size.

It's hard to say that one map square of Unova stands for even one map square of Unova -- let alone one map square of Kalos. I mean, it's not as if the game maps appear to be faithful and realistic representations of actual places (even if they're fictional places).

Mew was found in South America, and I think they took out the War and Lightning American stuff in HG/SS, but left ti in FR/LG

Back
Top Bottom