• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lady Gaga

Well Yoü and I has been confirmed as the next single. Is it just me or is this really depressing?

You and I is my favorite song on the album, so yeah, I totally disagree with you.

I hope Gaga gets her act together and releases the songs people want - Marry The Night, Scheiße, and Heavy Metal Lover, to be more specific. And if Government Hooker became a hit I would die of happiness.

It is funny because those I don't particularly like those three. Sheisse in particular has started to become boring for me, and I don't think Heavy Metal Lover has hit potential. I love Government Hooker, one of my favorite tracks but, like I said, hit potential.

You and I is my favorite song on the album, so yeah, I totally disagree with you.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the song itself. But my problem with it is that it's not a Lady Gaga single in the traditional sense. Poker Face, Just Dance, Telephone, Judas... and then You And I? It doesn't fit the style that the general pop radio listener knows as Gaga's. This could turn out to be good for her, or it could bomb on radio worse than Judas, which reached #15 on pop radio, as opposed to her 7 #1 hits and 2 #4 hits. If You And I flops, her shot at Mariah's opening streak is killed, and that streak means a lot to me. It will effectively validate her place in history, and I really want that to happen.

... and I don't think Heavy Metal Lover has hit potential.

T_T
Yes it does, at least I think so.... Remember Monster and Dance In The Dark? I'd hate for the most amazing tracks on this album (Heavy Metal Lover and Scheisse) to receive the same neglect. I think HML, despite it's somewhat odd structuring, could be a massive hit. I say it or Scheisse should've been the lead single, because they fit the Gaga style most closely and sounded like what most people expected from the album.

I love Government Hooker, one of my favorite tracks but, like I said, hit potential.

I will agree with that on the basis of radio reluctance to play a song about hookers, because musically it could be a decent hit. I love it but unfortunately radio might not.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the song itself. But my problem with it is that it's not a Lady Gaga single in the traditional sense. Poker Face, Just Dance, Telephone, Judas... and then You And I? It doesn't fit the style that the general pop radio listener knows as Gaga's.

Edge of Glory isn't really Gaga-ish for me, in fact it's almost kind of... generic. I don't mean this is in a bad way, I think it's a great song, but it doesn't have the trademark Gaga stamp on it. Yet it reached the top ten in most countries and the top twenty in Switzerland. When I went to New Orleans, I heard the damn song like three times a day blasting out of shop radios, and I definitely ran into it on a bunch of radio stations I was going through.

My point is that Gaga could release a song not identifiably "Gaga" and it could still chart. (I think Speechless could have been a hit, actually, but it's too late for that)

This could turn out to be good for her, or it could bomb on radio worse than Judas, which reached #15 on pop radio, as opposed to her 7 #1 hits and 2 #4 hits. If You And I flops, her shot at Mariah's opening streak is killed, and that streak means a lot to me. It will effectively validate her place in history, and I really want that to happen.

I want her to get that top ten, too. However, even if she doesn't get it, it doesn't mean her chance at history is ruined. I recall hearing that Jimi Hendrix only ever scored one top 40 hit and he remains revered and famous today.

Out of curiosity, "Eh eh (Nothing Else I can say)" failed to chart in the US. Is this single being taken into account? She has 8 top ten singles since then, so is that where the counting starts?

T_T
Yes it does, at least I think so.... Remember Monster and Dance In The Dark? I'd hate for the most amazing tracks on this album (Heavy Metal Lover and Scheisse) to receive the same neglect. I think HML, despite it's somewhat odd structuring, could be a massive hit. I say it or Scheisse should've been the lead single, because they fit the Gaga style most closely and sounded like what most people expected from the album.

The thing with Heavy Metal Lover is that it's sort of... heavy. I listen to it and it feels almost kind of ominous, definitely not something fun and light. It's not even fun and dark, like Bad Romance, it's just kind of dark. I like Heavy Metal Lover and after listening to it more, I've grown to love it, but I would not be too comfortable about its potential as a hit single. It's definitely very variable. "You and I" is just sort of familiar rock 'n' roll, nothing new and scary there. It's very dependable and catchy - like Edge of Glory.

Also, the beginning totally makes a not-so-veiled reference to oral sex and I'm not sure how radio stations would feel about playing a song that starts "I want your whiskey mouth all over my blonde south."

I think Sheisse would have been a better choice if you're going for something more traditional Gaga style. Someone mentioned that the German rap was probably keeping it from being a single, and although I love the silliness of the German rap, it is an unpredictable factor. Will people love it and be going "ich lieben auste bie klair" or will people go "wtf" and change the station? There's also the undeniable similarity between "Ladies' Night" and the verses of "Sheisse." The rhythm and melody are very similar. Perhaps they want to play down this similarity by not releasing it as a single and avoid uncomfortable talks of plagiarism.

I will agree with that on the basis of radio reluctance to play a song about hookers, because musically it could be a decent hit. I love it but unfortunately radio might not.

The faux-opera introduction might deter some people, too. Other than that, I really do love it musically and lyrically.

I'll expand this post tomorrow because I'm short on time, bu I can say this;

Eh, Eh wasnt released to radio or promoted at all in the US and is not considered a single here. She has a totally consistent singles streak here, and hopefully Yoü and I at least manages #10! Though there are quite a few songs that could potentially do better as a single...

Well it's time to revive this because fuck yeah, Lady Gaga.

Ironically, our worrying about You and I was unjustified - it reached the top ten. It was Marry The Night that killed her streak of eleven consecutive top ten hits. ;-;

Whatever. Lady Gaga is a much better songwriter than Mariah Carey, so I'm still satisfied. :D

Speaking of pop music, Ariana Grande's supposed to be releasing her album this year. Release date still unknown. Ariana y u taunt me

Ironically, our worrying about You and I was unjustified - it reached the top ten. It was Marry The Night that killed her streak of eleven consecutive top ten hits. ;-;

It's still so painfully fresh in my memory. ;_;

I think what happened is that "The Edge of Glory" was a bit different than what people were used to from her, and then "Yoü and I" (being more or less country pop that could fit on a Shania Twain album) was radically different. So, while the latter still had limited success, the progressive alteration of what people expected sort of killed the momentum she'd established with four consecutive top 20 debuts, one of which wasn't even a single. And also she went from her least "Gaga-ish" track to one of the most typical Gaga tracks on the album, which also hurt MTN.

Interscope said in January that there were no plans to release another Born This Way single so unfortunately potential hits like "Hair" or "Schieße" will never see radio. :( I think she went about this era all wrong with singles but whatever, what's done is done!

In good news, she played a new song for Vanity Fair a month or so ago, and it has to do with Princess Diana and concepts similar to The Fame Monster. Hopefully she goes back to a less experimental, more "Fame Monster"-y sound for her next album - it was by far her best album and it would be good for her commercially, too!

I think Marry the Nigh just didn't have a strong enough chorus. I like it, but I think Scheisse h might have Been a better choice.

I'm very excited about her new music. :)

Back
Top Bottom