• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mass Crossover Planning Thread

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
About every six months or so (more or less, I think it averages out), we at this forum attempt another mass crossover. The cooldown is close to running out, and since I don't have much left to do this month, I figured I'd get together another one. There has been a planning thread for Smash Bros. themed RPs before, which worked out so well it produced two separate RPs. I made this thread to separate the discussion from the Idea Center and give the discussion some focus and direct people who like this genre of RP to any ongoing ones.

Members (mostly to keep track of who deserves credit in the event of a new RP being started):
Storm, Earth, and Fire
ExoRaikou
Black Yoshi
Harvest Ty
Mohacastle
Kaithepokemontrainer

Just contribute and I will add your name if you thought of something people liked. Original people up there are the ones who replied to my post in the Idea Center.

The previous RPs, oldest first, with some of my thoughts on them:
The Smash Dojo - A Brawl RP: Broke down into idling as far as I can tell.
Rift in the Dimensions (OOC) (Social Group): If you look at the post dates, this went on for almost a year. Unfortunately, it got rather frayed at the end, there were possibly too many people in it, especially for the amount of characters allowed, and then it was finished by the creator becoming too busy.
Super Smash Bros.: The Outsiders: This RP started and stopped entirely within Rift's lifespan. A victim of inactivity for no discernible reason.
Super Smash Bros.: Rescue Across Worlds: Never got off the ground.
Super Smash Bros.: Conspiracy (OOC): I need to pick more appropriate characters. Otherwise, seems like another victim of inactivity for no discernible reason, although we have to keep in mind these are 2-3 years old now.
When the Worlds Need Us (OOC): I liked this, but once again, it kinda just stopped. Happens a lot, but I don't know what you'd do to prevent that.
The King of Fighters: Multiverse Mashup (OOC): If you're wondering what my own credentials in this field are, here it is. What probably happened was that I lost interest. It turned out to be a lot more broad than I had expected and I, being young and foolish at the time, did not have any contingency plans.
Chaos of the MYTH (OOC): I liked this one too, but unfortunately cut very short due to personal business on the part of both creators.
If you liked reading these, you should join my social group for people who read old RPs.

To summarize my post in the Idea Center, I think we might want to (again) try something more concise than a free-for-all. Limiting it to a type of setting, genre, or even company might make things easier to stay on top of, for the players and the DMs. However, SSB has been tossed around a lot, so maybe we should avoid that.

Last edited:
With the idea of singular genre, I'm wondering what could work. The main (non SSB) RPs all seem to be fetch quests of some kind; since those haven't really worked, whatever single genre ends up happening, it should not be that. I don't really know what genre could work, unfortunately.

I don't know either, however I think it's got a good chance as long as there are enough people who are familiar with it. This is why I did not limit my King of Fighters crossover RP to only fighting games, I did not gauge how much people were aware of them and assumed that it was not well known here.

Hmm, well maybe some kind of "after the end" scenario? I don't really know how many of those RPs have existed here, but perhaps it's something that could work in a crossover.

Oooooh, that's cool. Like, the mashup of worlds (and the disaster that always is supposed to go with it) already happened. So this one would be more about recovery than prevention, the way I'm interpreting what you said.

It may also make setting easier, because if it's post-disaster, I like to imagine it may look very much like Fallout.

I like where we're going with that. We should be vague about the disaster itself. Maybe even go for the old trope of figure out what happened. In any case, I like the idea of having to put the pieces back together after whatever happened, happened.

How would the world be structured, though? How much order has been put together? Is it almost immediately after the disaster or some amount of time afterward?

Hmm I am interested. May I join this discussion? Also what kind of crossover are you considering? Will you use cannon characters, or make them NPCs?

On your point for the apocalypse, SEF, It could affect the characters and setting. This is just what I feel.

A long term Post Apocalyptic situation may lead to more of a fragile chaos, with a thinly made order with fights iching to Start. A good amount of opression may be present, leading to possible civil wars or strife.

While a Recent Post Apocalyptic Situation, will lead to pure confusion among the remaing inhabitants, and a broken system of rules, it could be thought that many power struggles will occur for dominence in this period and much unrest will be throughout the world. Though there is a chance for small orderly communities that have formed and exist as heavans.

I say about... a year after the disaster, a la FFVI. That would probably provide a happy medium between Ty's points - a year wouldn't be recent enough for the outright, immediate confusion, but it wouldn't be long term enough for whatever order that's been consolidated to be to start wearing thin.

Also, Ty, I'd assume for now that the crossover would be more canon characters than OCs, but there could be a mix.

It would be possible to have a mix of canon and original characters. Some things just lend themselves towards original characters in any case. I think for the most part we've used some sort mix and it's worked out fine.

I'm all for something in-between like Raikou said. It doesn't sound like something I've personally done before.

We now need to establish how and what made said event.
Also, what kind of crossover is this? TV show crossover, SSBB Crossover, Manga Crossover, all media Crossover are some ideas.

I was meaning that I vote not being too specific as to what sources for the crossover! Given that if I join, which I might not but I'm vaguely interested, I'd probably pick something from Suikoden or Slayers. :Db

In general, crossovers seem to be all-media. I don't see any reason that this shouldn't be all-media, which in turn would allow people joining it to be less than specific in their sources.

Well, in my opinion at least, it inherently becomes harder to control what is going on the broader one is with what media, genre, setting, whatever it is that is allowed. Not that it is not doable, but that is the first thing that comes to my mind in the opposed camp.

That is a very good point. With Many Groups and a good amount of players, things can get confusing fast. More so if younchoose a character from obscure media.

I had an idea. Remeber in Chrono Triger...

SPOILERS
Luccas uses the Transporting machine which caused a rift in Space? What if a few intelligent charcters(From various games, worked on various types of space transportation devices, which would be activated at a close proximity of time(Universally Universal), ripping holes into the Universes/Dimentions/space

That is a very good point. With Many Groups and a good amount of players, things can get confusing fast. More so if younchoose a character from obscure media.
I really doubt having someone be from an obscure source would make things more confusing than having OCs. A bunch of factions and players, yes. Characters you're not familiar with ... well, usually no one else knows someone's OCs anyway; what's the difference if it's from a canon you don't know so long as the player isn't assuming everyone knows it?

I had an idea. Remeber in Chrono Triger...

SPOILERS
Luccas uses the Transporting machine which caused a rift in Space? What if a few intelligent charcters(From various games, worked on various types of space transportation devices, which would be activated at a close proximity of time(Universally Universal), ripping holes into the Universes/Dimentions/space

Well, what sort of place would be left in othe world? A blasted wasteland? Or something a little more pleasant and populated?

Back
Top Bottom