• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

I'm still trying, but I haven't written anything in three days, aaah. I keep getting these horrible migranes everytime I'm going to write or distracted by Youtube. But today, I will keep writing! Good thing I was ahead already.

My wordcount is over 40,000. Didn't get anywhere near this far last year, and I guess at this point it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll get to 50,000... unless I end up not writing for three days, or unexpectedly run out of ideas, or get hit by a sudden wave of uninspiration, or catch the plague and need to be in a hospital for the rest of November.

Anyway... 40,689 now, and I'm still not quite done with Chapter 10 yet (though I'm pretty close; so far all but one of the vampire-hunting priests/nuns have been knocked out, so all that's left is another quick priest KO and then the vampires leaving Rhode Island.) Just about time to come up with something to put between RI and Michigan, unless I end up just having them cover that whole distance without anything major happening in less than one chapter.

I can't seem to write minor characters. A random character who was supposed to be a minor character suddenly decided that she wants to butt in in this whole thing, too, and now I have no idea what to do with her.

But she is going to cover up a nice plot hole if I let her butt in, so I suppose I'll just do that. And figure out what to do with her later.

Also, (one of) my main character(s) is getting more and more snarky as time goes on. Whyyyyy

Lalala anyone who may have spotted my terrible terrible wordcount will have noticed I have given up! Which is awful and I've avoided this thread in utter shame but I'm back to cheer the rest of you over the finish line. It's the final week. This is where things tend to fall into place and wordcounts become disturbingly easy to reach because you've sussed out your characters and the plot might even have presented itself properly! Go! GO!

(Also I get a blue '2010' button now mufufu.)

NOOOOOOOOooooooo How could you leave us, Kinova!

COME ON VLAD LET'S DO THIS. *hands everyone Team B pom-poms*

Caught up! And later on today, I'm going to get well ahead of the bare minimum because I'm an overachiever like that... whew. I think I got over my block I've been having too. Finally figured out where to end this Act and how to write the final few segments of it. I think by the time my NaNo's done, I'll have ended this Act... but not the story. The story still has a lot to go.

I can't seem to write minor characters. A random character who was supposed to be a minor character suddenly decided that she wants to butt in in this whole thing, too, and now I have no idea what to do with her.

But she is going to cover up a nice plot hole if I let her butt in, so I suppose I'll just do that. And figure out what to do with her later.

Also, (one of) my main character(s) is getting more and more snarky as time goes on. Whyyyyy

NOOOOOOOOooooooo How could you leave us, Kinova!

COME ON VLAD LET'S DO THIS. *hands everyone Team B pom-poms*
YOU RANG

I have actually NOT given up, but I have been extremely busy! I think I can catch up, though, because I've got a few ideas still, and I'm pretty sure I can stretch them thin enough to rack up a good wordcount. Right now my guys are kind of panicking because the food train didn't bring food, there's two metres of snow outside and they don't have anything to eat. So they're gonna go hunting. Also two of them are taking a bath together now because they almost froze to death but it still manages to be strangely not-gay. I'm proud of myself.

My story would probably be really easy to make a play or film out of because you only really need six to nine guys and a room. If you really want to push it you can also add an outdoor scene with a river and an old tank but you'd save a ton of money on actors.

SNARK CAN BE GOOD LINOONEY she can be all cutting and badass. Awww yeaaah.

OMG OMG ONLY FIVE DAYS LEFT OF NANO AND I STILL HAVE 5500+ WORDS TO WRITE BEFORE I'M ON SCHEDULE D: D: D:

STUPID WEEK TWO, SCREWING UP MY BEAUTIFUL STATS D: D: D:
AND NOW IT'S WEEK FOUR AND I'M DYING.

I have actually NOT given up, but I have been extremely busy! I think I can catch up, though, because I've got a few ideas still, and I'm pretty sure I can stretch them thin enough to rack up a good wordcount. Right now my guys are kind of panicking because the food train didn't bring food, there's two metres of snow outside and they don't have anything to eat. So they're gonna go hunting. Also two of them are taking a bath together now because they almost froze to death but it still manages to be strangely not-gay. I'm proud of myself.

YOUR STORY NEEDS MORE GAY.

A LOT MORE GAY.

EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH MORE GAY.

Ok, back to writing.

I just wrote one of the most important scenes in my novel: the death of one of the main characters.

It actually made me tear up. :(

I'm 6046 behind.
4 days left.
Thank God I'm getting to my climax when everyone is assassinated by another cliche secret murderer.

W00T 40,000!

Aaaaand so. The heroes have now encountered the three trials: The first one is a battle room with most of the monsters they've faced thus far, the second is a speed trial with a time bomb in the center and a maze (fun fun) and the third is a room of puzzles, including two different kinds of tile puzzles and a Rubik's Cube. Oh, and there are boss rematches also.

...If it isn't obvious, my novel is heavily influenced by video games.

I'm so proud of myself for never being behind, and in fact being at least a day ahead, every single day this year. :D Last year I did okay but lagged behind at some points, and the year before I was super-behind for quite some time and had to do a mad dash to finish (though I did end up finishing a few days early both years). Not so this year! I would chalk it up to discipline, but neglecting almost all of my schoolwork until the last second doesn't sound all that disciplined to me. :P

Speaking of come-from behind victolies, just in case people need motivation I have part of that unsolicited advice thing I was writing earlier (hm, maybe I'll try and get it finished in time for next year):

"I missed a bunch of days and now I'm really far behind. There's no way I'll finish now. I give up. :("

No. Shut up. Shut the fuck up. I will have none of this quitter talk in my NaNo thread. It is absolutely possible to make a comeback and finish before the 30th, even if you're over 10,000 words behind. And no, I'm not just spewing sappy inspirational bullshit; Kratos doesn't roll that way. It really is possible, and several people on TCoD and around the world (including me!) have managed it year after year. Don't believe me? Go read through the last few pages of the 2008 and 2009 NaNo threads and see for yourself. Then get off of TCoD and back to your novel, because all the time you're wasting whining and feeling sorry for yourself is time you could be spending writing.

(not that too many people have actually talked about quitting, but just in case!)

HEY TEAM A HINT HINT HINT :( I AM DISAPPOINT, YOU GUYS.

I'm so proud of myself for never being behind, and in fact being at least a day ahead, every single day this year. :D Last year I did okay but lagged behind at some points, and the year before I was super-behind for quite some time and had to do a mad dash to finish (though I did end up finishing a few days early both years). Not so this year! I would chalk it up to discipline, but neglecting almost all of my schoolwork until the last second doesn't sound all that disciplined to me. :P

Speaking of come from behind victolies, just in case people need motivation I have part of that unsolicited advice thing I was writing earlier (hm, maybe I'll try and get it finished in time for next year; more people seem to be interested in this sort of information/stuff than I'd first thought):

"I missed a bunch of days and now I'm really far behind. There's no way I'll finish now. I give up. :("

No. Shut up. Shut the fuck up. I will have none of this quitter talk in my NaNo thread. It is absolutely possible to make a comeback and finish before the 30th, even if you're over 10,000 words behind. And no, I'm not just spewing sappy inspirational bullshit; Kratos doesn't roll that way. It really is possible, and several people on TCoD and around the world (including me!) have managed it year after year. Don't believe me? Go read through the last few pages of the 2008 and 2009 NaNo threads and see for yourself. Then get off of TCoD and back to your novel, because all the time you're wasting whining and feeling sorry for yourself is time you could be spending writing.
(not that too many people have actually talked about quitting, but just in case!)

HEY TEAM A HINT HINT HINT :( I AM DISAPPOINT, YOU GUYS.

Last edited:
44,432.... I got ahead, don't know how. But I might actually have time to go back and fix some stupid errors.

GO TEAM C!!!

Stopping for today at 43,666... would probably be further ahead than that, but this cold I've had the past couple of days has made me not really feel like writing as much as usual (having to stop and grab a tissue every few minutes is not much fun.)

Fortunately, I'm coming close to the end of the first Michigan chapter, where the vampires find the secret underground vampire city. Which means the second one (and its long fight scene involving a magic-using Burijeoo* disguised as a vampire) is coming up... and I like writing fight scenes, so that one should be no problem at all.

*"Burijeoo" are an alien species I made up when I was in 5th grade, by the way. They're weird humanoid bug-amphibian-things with foot-long claws that can spit poisonous goo, stretch their bodies in really weird ways, and melt into goo to ooze under doors. Also, the entire species is female, since the guys all got wiped out by a biological weapon someone used in a war 90,000 years ago, and because of this most of their kids are grown in labs (around 10-12% of Burijeoo have picked up a mutation that lets two girls reproduce, but in that case the kid will always be a clone of whichever mother laid the egg. There's actually certain species of lizard that do this in real life, which is where I got the idea... originally, I just made all Burijeoo grow their kids in labs.)

I've decided that I'm never going to do NaNoWriMo. If I don't start when I want to start, the idea will die the moment I put pen to paper. Not that it doesn't as it is; I just don't think that scheduling when that will happen will be a bit of help.

So, I'm starting to write something, but I'm just happening to start in November. I won't let that distract me. Putting a 4 day time limit is ridiculous and stressful.

I've hit 42,000 words! :3

This means a lot to me. I've been behind the target all throughout the month (seriously, I haven't been on the site's "target" since the third day) but I've kept on pushing, I never once wanted to give up.

But, also, this means so much to me compared to last year: where I had to write the last 20,000 or so in the last few days (I had procrastinated, erm, a lot). I've tried much harder this year.

I'm just so happy. :'3 The end is in sight... and I'm confident I'll make it! YAY! ♥

The end of NaNo is approaching fast!

Good job to all those of you who reached the 40,000 mark! I'm sure it took you lots of hard work, but isn't it satisfying to see the word count climb? You've survived three and a half weeks, and you can do it! You're past the point of no return now. If you give up now, then all your effort would have gone to waste!

For those of you with lower word counts, it's still okay! Even if you don't think you can reach 50,000 words, just keep on trying and it will be fine. Even a "I've done my best and failed" is better than "I suck so I didn't try". Writer's block? Write about something else that's not supposed to happen until way later in the story. No motivation? Promise yourself you can eat some candy or something after you wrote today's fill of words. Do a word sprint if you have to. There's still a few days left, and you can still try!

It might be kind of late right now, but I found that having a vague plan of what you're going to write for the day is very useful. It gives you a bit of a short-term goal and prods you on like that. You don't even have to write it down, or know exactly what happens! I wrote almost 5,000 words yesterday only based on the vague idea that my main character will meet a legendary pokemon and get really annoyed at it. Meanwhile, a few days prior, I was dying because I didn't have an idea of what to write before hand.

Congrats for those of you who reached their personal goals! Even if you can't finish, it's still something great that you've done, for yourself, by yourself. Even if you've already given up, there's still next year!

YOU CAN DO IT GUYS!!! :D

*takes off Hiikari costume*

LINOONE HAS A QUESTION: Is it okay if your story doesn't finish but reach 50,000 words at the end of Nano? Because I still haven't reached what I planned to be my climax yet (it's coming along soon), and there's lots of things I still need to add. I don't think I'll be able to wrap up my story in time. But it should reach 50,000 words, since there's all the backstories I still have to stuff in, not to mention the climax itself.

Back
Top Bottom