• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 3]

I'm not going to bother restating the obvious or talking in circles; I can, however, tell you that Big Red Cherry Bomb has not viewed the thread since the fourth. Give her time to notice that the day has started before jumping the gun. I'm all for lynching her if she does view it and still has nothing to say, however.

EDIT: fuck you Tailsy. damn ninjrs.

So:

32. Tailsy
1. Mawile
49. blazheirio889
45. Negrek

Well... if you nickname blazhy, they all have six letters?

"A peculiar blood spatter" doesn't particularly sound like the dogs actually killed Lupine Volt (well, it could mean anything, but), so it's possible that they're just feasting on a convenient meal. But this covers up any mysterious internal bleeds as well as heart attacks and conventional weapons.

Also, despite res's gun, we don't know that the mafia actually shoots people. Each member could be a different trope, with a different method of killing, so we'd have to figure out if there's a pattern for a death with a single instance per night, between two mafia deaths. So. Yes.

Eh...Foamy, what did you ask last night with your oracle-powers?

I was going with Crazy Linoone's 'Did the mysterious informants die due to having roleclaimed?', but that wasn't specific enough so I asked 'Did they die as a result of the roleclaim itself, as opposed to someone else killing them for roleclaiming?' to which the answer was 'no'. :-\

I'm aware that I'm lookin a bit suspicious, but I can prove I'm not mafia-aligned. Minks isn't dead, I'll prove my innocence by posting my role PM and asking her to confirm it.

This is accurate, yes?

This is very accurate, the exact same PM I recieved.
On that note, I haven't died last night.

So more roleclaims?!

We have Mysterious Informants, Body Doubles, What Kind of Lame Power is Heart Anyway, a non-specific inspector... what else was there?

I think I'll go ahead and roleclaim: I'm a Non Action Guy and my power is What Kind of Lame Power is Heart Anyway? I think my power is to give moral support or something.

I was going with Crazy Linoone's 'Did the mysterious informants die due to having roleclaimed?', but that wasn't specific enough so I asked 'Did they die as a result of the roleclaim itself, as opposed to someone else killing them for roleclaiming?' to which the answer was 'no'. :-\

What do you mean by not specific enough? Does that mean that God (Butterchuru) told you that it wasn't specific enough and told you to ask again, or did you just felt that it wasn't specific enough because your brain said so?

Because if it's the first, we can pretty much safely assume that there's someone who can kill anyone they know the tropes of.

Minks said:
This is very accurate, the exact same PM I recieved.
On that note, I haven't died last night.

Do you mean that your body double/second life thing hasn't died last night? Because it's kind of obvious that you're not dead, seeing that your name is not crossed out on the list and nobody found your body...

Well, since BCRB is sorta inactive right now, let's ask Emerald Espeon, whom we also suspected yesterday. So, Emerald Espeon, do you have any proof that you're innocent or any clues as to who the mafia might be?

Also, more conspiracy theories: Minks and Karkat Vantas are lovers and secretly plotted this conversation out so they would both seem innocent.

"A peculiar blood spatter" sounds like it could be related to the very very gory deaths we had a while ago. Maybe that's the mafia's current signature killing method now, now that the gun-shooting one has (most probably) been bodyguard-killed.

What do you mean by not specific enough? Does that mean that God (Butterchuru) told you that it wasn't specific enough and told you to ask again, or did you just felt that it wasn't specific enough because your brain said so?

Because if it's the first, we can pretty much safely assume that there's someone who can kill anyone they know the tropes of.

The first, yeah. She was all 'clarify the meaning of 'due to', so yeah. :-/

A question containing something like "because of" or "due to" is inherently vague; how far are you going to stretch the chain of causality? (If a guy gets shot, did he die "because of" intensive blood loss? Because he was hit by a bullet? Because a gun discharged while pointed at him? Because the woman holding the gun decided to pull the trigger? Because she was his wife and had just caught him in bed with another woman? Because he was cheating on her? Because events in his youth gave him a compulsive need for danger in his sex life that wasn't satisfied by the safety of sleeping with his wife?) Personally, as a GM, I would always ask for something more specific if I got such a question, more to make sure the asker knows exactly what question I'm answering than anything else.

Last edited:

This and the fact the MIs who were killed a few nights back died of "mysterious heart attacks" suggests a very Death Note-y-type power. I Know Your True Name, perhaps?
If that is the case, there's no limit on how many times the Death Note can be used, so maybe it's best if we stop roleclaiming, at least as explicitly as we have been?

Well, since BCRB is sorta inactive right now, let's ask Emerald Espeon, whom we also suspected yesterday. So, Emerald Espeon, do you have any proof that you're innocent or any clues as to who the mafia might be?

No, I have no proof, but possibly Seritinajii could confirm this:

Role PM said:
You are a Non Action Guy. Your power is What Kind Of Lame Power Is Heart Anyway. You don't do anything special, but you can give moral support.

You are aligned with the innocents. You win when all the mafia killing roles are dead.

Also:

Didn't Butterfree already confirm during the day yesterday that the Mysterious Informants would have known if they were going to die as a result of their roleclaims? Or am I misunderstanding the question and the meaning of "as a result of"?

Didn't Butterfree already confirm during the day yesterday that the Mysterious Informants would have known if they were going to die as a result of their roleclaims?
I confirmed that if any role had some strings attached that caused them to automatically die upon roleclaiming (or automatically have a chance to die upon roleclaiming, or in general have anything bad happen automatically if they roleclaimed), this would have been noted in their role PMs, yes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we only suspicious of her on the condition that Littlestream flipped mafia? Not that anyone is truly cleared until the game is over, but since she and Littlestream effectively confirmed one another as vanilla town, and then Littlestream flipped "not mafia"... and now that Seritinajii is claiming the same thing... it's not likely that they were all mafia making up a safeclaim, because, well, Littlestream very clearly wasn't mafia. :/

Also, more conspiracy theories: Minks and Karkat Vantas are lovers and secretly plotted this conversation out so they would both seem innocent.

Assuming standard-esque roles (dangerous, I know), at least one of the lovers is innocent anyway, and as long as the other lover isn't mafia then they have no reason to try and pretend anything. They just need to not do something phenomenally stupid so they don't drag one another down; drawing attention to themselves and creating the potential for doubt (and thus the potential for lynching) strikes me as approaching phenomenally stupid. It's really more likely that they are both body doubles.

Do you mean that your body double/second life thing hasn't died last night? Because it's kind of obvious that you're not dead, seeing that your name is not crossed out on the list and nobody found your body...

I never got a PM saying I've died, so my double hasn't died yet.
And since Karkat Vantas copy-pasted his role PM, I can screenshot mine if you really want. And like Kratos Aurion said, we really wouldn't need to draw attention to ourselves if we were lovers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Screenshots of role PMs are illegal evidence in mafia. The whole point of the game is that you never know if anyone's telling the truth about what they claim to be. Being able to conclusively prove that you're not lying renders the entire game trivial.

Now, of course, screenshots can be faked, so they aren't actually conclusive evidence anyway (this means that, although Minks did make a screenshot and you might have seen it before I edited it out, this is not actually proof of anything). However, once screenshots are allowed, people have to be expending a frustrating amount of time and energy faking them just to not immediately come under suspicion for not being able to show a screenshot. That only makes the game less fun for everyone. Hence, no screenshots.

Copy-pasting role PMs is something of a gray area, but I've been letting you get away with it simply because they're so easy to fake, especially in a game with secret roles (where you can simply make up a role, instead of having to claim one some player really has and will be able to contradict you on) and after one person has revealed their role PM already (giving everyone else a believable innocent template to work with).

Last edited:

I don't think there's a Death Note power. Minks and I should be dead if that's the case, since neither of our duplicates have been hit.

As for the theory that they can hold off on killing roleclaimers... So you're suggesting that there's a role that can potentially kill off ten townies in one night? They're not going to be hitting any mafia members with a power like that. It's a matter of basic game balance; there can't be an anti-town role that powerful.

I don't think there's a Death Note power. Minks and I should be dead if that's the case, since neither of our duplicates have been hit.

As for the theory that they can hold off on killing roleclaimers... So you're suggesting that there's a role that can potentially kill off ten townies in one night? They're not going to be hitting any mafia members with a power like that. It's a matter of basic game balance; there can't be an anti-town role that powerful.

Screenshots of role PMs are illegal evidence in mafia. The whole point of the game is that you never know if anyone's telling the truth about what they claim to be. Being able to conclusively prove that you're not lying renders the entire game trivial.

Now, of course, screenshots can be faked, so they aren't actually conclusive evidence anyway (this means that, although Minks did make a screenshot and you might have seen it before I edited it out, this is not actually proof of anything). However, once screenshots are allowed, people have to be expending a frustrating amount of time and energy faking them just to not immediately come under suspicion for not being able to show a screenshot. That only makes the game less fun for everyone. Hence, no screenshots.

Copy-pasting role PMs is something of a gray area, but I've been letting you get away with it simply because they're so easy to fake, especially in a game with secret roles (where you can simply make up a role, instead of having to claim one some player really has and will be able to contradict you on) and after one person has revealed their role PM already (giving everyone else a believable innocent template to work with).

I'm sorry, that was probably just sheer ignorance on my part for not noticing it earlier.

Roles like that do exist in other games, though. The arsonist, for example--each night that player douses one target with gasoline, and then on a later night they can choose to ignite all doused players and kill them all at once. I don't know that that role is terribly common, but it exists. The catch is that there's always a pro-town role to keep it in check (e.g., a firefighter with the ability to remove the gasoline from a doused target). So the role may very well work that way if there's some sort of protective role to counterbalance it. I have no idea what that role might be, though.

Back
Top Bottom