• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Spaceships and planets

I've been doing a fair amount of pixel art lately, mostly for a space warfare game I'm designing. I started out strictly doing the art so I could have graphics for it, but now I'm actually finding I enjoy it. Since these are mostly units or map tiles, expect to see a lot of 64x64 sprites. And since it's space, don't expect to see a lot of animals or people.

To start off with, would you like to take a trip to scenic Mars?
1zox11l.png
11l652d.png

On the other hand, if you can handle the ice and the darkness, maybe you'd like to fly a starfighter over Callisto.
250jakg.png

While we're on the subject of starfighters...
spw0ms.png
p7m29.png

And the starfighters are backed up by larger cruisers and destroyers, like these...
eg9ph.png
victu9.png

No space fleet is complete without massive dreadnoughts, like this guy:
2wdd0ky.png

For ordering information, contact your local asteroid-based heavy weapons factory:
2labgv6.png

More recently, I tried to make a larger image of one of the spacecraft, which will be useful when it comes time to make the combat animations. I used the F-16 fighter as a reference, made a few minor changes and stuck a laser on the nose, and out came this:
6ntutg.png

As you might've guessed, this is the one I'm least pleased with. I know the perspective and shading are off, though I'm not exactly sure on how to improve them.

Hmmm.... the nose laser doesn't look right.....
Maybe if you relocated it to the wings?

Otherwise, it looks fine, if a bit plane (see wut i did thar?)

Wow, these are impressive. I can tell you put a lot of hard work into them.

I especially like the starfighters.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

LegendarySeeker99: Fixing the laser might work, I'll see what I can do with that. And it -is- true that it could probably use more detail, but I chalk that up to me not being used to working with larger sprites.

Throwing Stars: There's actually a reason for this - my original Mars surface designs were a lot brighter and a lot redder than what you see here, but when I actually plugged the graphics in and ran a battle, they were really distracting and made things hard to see. Glad you liked the fighters, though!

Spunky the Raichu: That's very nice to hear =)

Should have more stuff coming before too long. With any luck, I'll be able to make a decent close-up of one of the fighters. In the meantime, have another sprite:

missilered.png

This is a remote-controlled missile. It flies at an enemy and explodes. This is actually one of the most recent unit sprites I've made.

Wow, that missile looks... Clean. That's the word that comes to mind.

Just really sleek and awesome.

Doing good, man.

SO TIRED.

I should not have promised new content right with the end of the semester looming. I have no energy left for creativity with all the work I'm plowing through D=

So to keep this topic out of Thread Hell, I'm going to post an old piece of pixel art for you all:

kex8v9.png

This is from...about 3 years ago, I think? At that time, I had a much poorer grasp of shading, light sources, and detail. This is a section of a screencap from a game I was making in high school, but that eventually fell through because the demo got very little attention and I wasn't about to do all that work for a game nobody would play.

That purple spaceship looks a bit weird because the body seems to be curved. It would be awesome-looking if that was fixed though!

Back
Top Bottom