• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Potty Business

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
Right. Can't believe I'm making this.

So... public restrooms. Can you use them? I legit have a new friend who refuses to use a public restroom even if her life depended on it. We had to leave a convention center so she could go to our friends house to do her business. I'm not joking.

Is this a thing you've heard of? Are you public bathroom shy? Do you use a seat cover?

I am not responsible for any weird conversations resulting from this thread.

Umm, well, back in high school, pre transtioning, I dressed up as Sailor Moon for Halloween, and I got yelled at for using the women's bathroom.

I've never used one since, hahaha.

I avoid using public restrooms if I can, and I always put toilet paper down before sitting on public toilets. After that, I'll feel uncomfortable for the rest of the day until I go home and take a shower.

Also, fun fact - when I exit the restroom I always turn on the sink, soap up, wash my hands, use a paper towel to dry my hands, use said paper towel to turn off the sink, use paper towel again to open the door, and hold the door open with my foot while I throw out the paper towel. After that, I usually end up using hand sanitizer anyway.

tl;dr I'm a big ol' germaphobe.

Yes. Just plop right on down and trust my immune system.

When I was a kid I was afraid of the loud flushing though. It still... Can make me jump sometimes...

i clean them more than i use them lol

i have found staff toilets to be more gross than public ones, funnily enough

if i like mega need to go though, i will use one. unless it's one of those shitty ones that you have to pay for in which case fuck off m8.

I try to avoid them when possible.

I've only ever come across covers once, in an airport. I usually make my own out of toilet paper though.

My public toilet pet peeves:

1) Five urinals, one actual toilet
2) Urinals that are the length of the wall and the bottom is just a drain with no gap between it and the normal floor, making it possible to step in the place where all the pee goes.
3) Urinals in general, I find them disgusting, why can't people just use normal toilets.
4) When there's no toilet paper.
5) Toiler paper that was obviously bought because it's super cheap, it feels like normal paper and it's not nice to use.
6) When there's gaps in the cubicle doors so you can see through them even when the door is closed.
7) Oversensitive motion sensitive flushes.
8) Unresponsive motion sensitive flushes.
9) Taps that don't use motion sensors/are ones that you push down and they remain on for a few seconds. I don't want to have to touch it again to turn it off.
10) The kind of tap that you push down and it stays on for a few seconds, but it's broken so it only remains on as long as you're pressing it down. That's worse than normal taps.

public restrooms don't really faze me unless they're like, super nasty

but otherwise i mean idk i'm gonna poop there anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

that being said though, the public restrooms that i saw in brussels were really really good. like you got your own little room instead of a flimsy MDF cubicle!!! and sometimes there was classy music playing !! what a tranquil way to pee.

Why haven't architects figured out by now to always make the door swing open OUTWARD, not inward? So that you can just push the door open with your foot or something when exiting. Seriously, everyone contact your local architects about this worldwide cultural problem so we can get on with social progress.

While you're at it, tell them to make sure to put barriers between the urinals. If you don't, your 5 urinals suddenly turn into 3 because guys won't stand right next to each other if there's no barrier.

Why haven't architects figured out by now to always make the door swing open OUTWARD, not inward? So that you can just push the door open with your foot or something when exiting. Seriously, everyone contact your local architects about this worldwide cultural problem so we can get on with social progress.

I do always want them to open outwords, but I think it's a fire safety thing. If it opens outwards it's possible for something to block the door and people could get trapped inside.

Either that or, if it opens inwards it's easier for people to get into the bathroom, which is where there'll be more water?

I do always want them to open outwords, but I think it's a fire safety thing. If it opens outwards it's possible for something to block the door and people could get trapped inside.

Either that or, if it opens inwards it's easier for people to get into the bathroom, which is where there'll be more water?

Hmm, I feel like I've seen ones that do open outward, but maybe not. Could also be a thing where older buildings didn't have to follow the same rules.

If you're building something slightly upper-scale though you can always go with no doors.

I always feel like I'd whack someone with the door if I were opening it outwards. I'm pretty heavy handed sometimes and might genuinely run this risk.

The public restrooms I've used are generally ok; so long as they're well kept I will use them. I tend to get a bit weird about using urinals though so will opt for a cubicle where I can even if I am only urinating. That said, if the cubicle's toilet is clogged, I will usually locate another cubicle if I can't flush the blockage away.

Portaloos are the absolute worst though. I will pee in the wild above using a portaloo.

Portaloo is adorable
you brits are adorable

I once went in a portapotty that was air conditioned. It was super fancy.

I'm scared of pooping in public restroom because in elementary school people would peep under the door.

There was this one place, I forgot its name, it's some sort of public lake or something. I went to the bathroom and it was an absolute hellhole that reeked of socks someone had peed on, then worn for a couple days.

I absolutely refused to use high school public restrooms. Unhygenic slobs... If it's in a general public area however I'll be a little more lenient, even though they're still not that great.

I really don't care. If I have to crap, I crap. Although the sinks with motion sensors always bothered me as a kid because I was too short to activate them.

Largely depends on the median age of the people using the restroom. I'll try to avoid high school bathrooms, for instance. But otherwise, eh. I'm more afraid of the people.

Back
Top Bottom