• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Totodile vs Littlestream

What a dent that's made! You've done beautifully, Sobek.

Get in a final hit before he can get at you. Keep hitting him if you survive somehow.

Aqua Jet x3

Round Six

Totodile (3/3)
Sobek[Torrent]
Totodile
Health: 11%
Energy: 9%
Status: Defiantly standing straight, trying to ignore his aching everything and swimming vision. Confused (15% fail chance); +4 attack, -1 accuracy.

Littlestream (2/3)
Jupiter[Rivalry]
Shinx
Health: 63%
Energy: 88%

-------------------------------------​

Losing gracefully does not come naturally to Sobek.

It's one of the few forms of grace that doesn't. He receives Totodile's praise with mixed feelings. Yes, he's impressed with himself too, but he's not done yet. In fact, he feels better than ever. So where's all this sudden pessimism coming from? Of course, a chance to surpass all expectations is always welcome, so he supposes there's no need to be too indignant. Before he loses his chance, he dashes forward in a burst of water and slams Jupiter backward before he can even open his mouth.

The impact sends Jupiter skidding backward, as expected, but Sobek ends up falling backward himself, barely holding onto consciousness. Jupiter is the first to get to his feet, and at first he can't tell if Sobek's still awake or not. But then he figures it out. What a silly duck! Nobody should try to beat a dog at playing dead! Especially not Jupiter. He knows that trick so well he sometimes even tricks himself with it and then has to jump back up to make sure he really is just playing. But it's a good thing the duck is still alive. He wouldn't want to bite a dead duck; that would be gross.

Without any further ado, Jupiter scampers up to the duck, charges his teeth full of electricity, and chomps down as hard as he can on the duck's tail. The duck leaps up with an ear-splitting squawk, and Jupiter instinctively sinks his teeth in further with a muffled yelp, clinging on for dear life. Sobek's adrenaline runs out in midair, though, and he falls back down on their stomach, while Jupiter ends up on his back this time.

What a silly kitty, thinks Sobek as he staggers to his feet. So... silly... nobody should try to beat a Totodile when it comes to biting...! He's tempted to show Jupiter how it's really done, but he restrains himself. He'll get his chance... Summoning one final splash of water, Sobek flops forward onto the still-stunned Jupiter. And this time, he doesn't get up.

Jupiter waits until Sobek disappears from on top of him before leaping to his feet himself and barking up a storm. "EW DUCKS ARE GROSS WHAT WAS THE MUD FOR ANYWAY IT WAS EVEN GROSSER WHOEVER COMES OUT TO PLAY NEXT BETTER NOT BE A DUCK."

Totodile (2/3)
Sobek[Torrent]
Totodile
Health: 1%
Energy: 0%
Status: Covered in blisters, bite marks, and burnt mud. He's never been this tired, or this satisfied. Knocked out!

Littlestream (2/3)
Jupiter[Rivalry]
Shinx
Health: 41%
Energy: 84%
Status: Spitting and chewing grass in between barks, trying to get the taste of mud and 'duck' out of his mouth.

Arena Notes:
  • On the edge of the river, there's a rough circle of scorched mud with claw marks on it, and a patch of blackened grass a few feet away from it.

Notes:
  • Thunder Fang only had 101 power after STAB and Rivalry. I wonder if any other Pokémon has ever come so close to hitting 0%/0%.
  • Sobek didn't have enough energy for a proper second Aqua Jet. The first was 7% energy for 13% 15% damage, and I docked the 2% damage for each 1% energy he was short by, leaving the second with 3% 5% damage.
  • Totodile picks her next Pokémon and gives it commands, then Littlestream gives commands.
  • EDIT: Oh, I forgot about Torrent. Fixed.

Last edited:
... So is that an epic fail or not? I can't tell. Still a graceful loss.

Well at this point using my Trapinch would be grossly unfair, so maybe I could use my ... oh, who am I kidding. Myrmele, get out there. (Or Cybele as she's called now.)

Earthquake. Earthquake all over the place. Feint if he Protects, and Captivate if he Magnet Rises.

Earthquake/Feint/Captivate x3

That was awesome, Jupiter! Great job! But now we have a... slight problem. You don't want her to hit you at all, if possible. I'm not sure if it will make that much of a difference, considering the move they're using, but start off with Double Team. Create 3 clones, and hope that she doesn't hit (the actual) you. Then go with Swagger, and then Ice Fang.

Double Team (3 Clones)~Swagger~Ice Fang

Round Seven

Totodile (2/3)
Cybele[Hyper Cutter]
Trapinch
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Littlestream (2/3)
Jupiter[Rivalry]
Shinx
Health: 41%
Status: Curious about the new arrival. The awful taste is still in his mouth; he's just forgotten about it.

Jupiter is perplexed by this new playmate. He's not a duck, at least. He's also not a dog, or a cat, or a bird or a fish or anything else Jupiter knows about. He just doesn't know what he's looking at, but someone so weird has got to be a new rival for sure. Still, it's a good idea to figure out what kind of weird thing he's up against!

He bounds up and gives this exciting new rival the good ol' sniff test (which Cybele placidly endures), but it's no good. He doesn't know about anything that smells like that. Well, can't hurt to ask! "HI THERE YOU'RE NOT A DUCK BUT WOW YOU'RE STILL WEIRD WHAT ARE YOU ARE YOU A CROCODILE YOU SURE HAVE TEETH LIKE ONE JUST LIKE THE DUCK I JUST MET BUT YOU'RE NOT A DUCK."

The weird thing answers in a weird rattling voice. Figures! "Helloooooo! I am quite a mystery aren't I? Hm, I like that... Well then, I suppose I'll just introduce myself as QUEEN OF THE DESERT."

Oh. That's what this thing is. A girl. He can't be rivals with a girl. He can be friends with girls, his best friend Littlestream is even a girl, but girls never want to play rough. Well, there's Veronica but she always wants to play ghost and he can't be someone's rival at being a ghost because he's a dog.

Littlestream wants him to fight anyway, though, so maybe he just can have fun with it. He runs around and around and around the weird thing faster and faster and faster until everything blurs together into a mess of green and gray and orangey-brown and mostly just a lot of gray. Usually he likes this part more, when there's blue sky and yellow sun and a lot of green and no gray, but this place is pretty boring-looking compared to the park he usually goes to. Some blue and yellow comes into the mix after a bit, though, and he knows it worked and it's time to slow back down. He ends up tumbling forwards, all four of him now, and then they're all back on their feet yipping excitedly.

This is very impressive, but Cybele is afraid she's just going to have to, oh, smash it all, all the little kitty images, ahaha. She slowly, carefully raises one front foot—smashing is a very precise procedure—and stomps down, hard, channeling all her force into the ground. The ground trembles a little, and all the Jupiters snap to attention. And then the other foot. Ooh, that felt good. And from there she forgets about precision and just hammers the ground with a flurry of stomps, shaking the ground with gleeful fervor. She manages to toss Jupiter in the air within a few seconds, and his illusory companions vanish in a wink, but she's not done. Both trainers and the ref manage to cling to the ground, and the river stays as uncannily still as ever, but Jupiter bounces around howling in terror and pain. The field's hard, unyielding ground bruises and batters him, and the grass does surprisingly little to absorb the shock.

Eventually, after what seems like forever to Jupiter and barely five seconds to Cybele, the Trapinch has to stop and catch her breath. That was entirely too much fun. She has no idea what that stuffy duck was complaining about this morning; being big and impressive is exactly his area of expertise. (He must be the duck, there's nobody else on the team with teeth like her. He's never going to live that down.)

Though she feels kind of sorry for the little confused guy. He doesn't seem to think her smashing was so... smashing. She only meant to rough him up a little, but the poor dear is still cowering. Was he even aware that this is a battle? Maybe she should make sure he's alright before knocking him around again. But Jupiter preempts her and tells her he's more than alright, lady, and what is it with you people and doing weird things with the dirt anyway and if she actually wants to play rough why's she so scared of actually hitting him herself wow that's just like a girl.

Oh, she needn't have worried after all. The little jerk's not looking so precious now. He'll just have to learn the hard way what the queen of the desert, thank you very much, is really capable of after a proper warm-up. She rears up and smashes the ground with both feet at once—too hard! Too hard, ouch, she wasn't trying to smash her feet! Well, third time's the charm. She closes her eyes and tries to calm down.

And then something cold and sharp is digging into the front of her head and her eyes fly back open just in time to see Jupiter launch himself back off her nose and start spitting at the ground, shouting something about how she tastes like a mud bug and why doesn't she take a bath already. And that is the last straw. He can say what he likes about her smashing, but she is not going to let it slide when someone calls her a fithy little mudbug.

She focuses her rage this time, letting it strengthen her, not discombobulate her. She raises her foot—slowly—slowly—and flat-out thrashes the ground, feeling no remorse, only glee, when the little bigot starts yelping and squealing for mercy. Well, she thinks, you should have thought of that before you decided to be a cheeky little kitty, hm? No, she's not sorry at all.

And this time, the earthquake lasts a good long while for both of them.

Totodile (2/3)
Cybele[Hyper Cutter]
Trapinch
Health: 86%
Status: Nearly satisfied, but not ready to return to her airy self just yet. Confused (45% fail chance); +2 attack.

Littlestream (2/3)
Jupiter[Rivalry]
Shinx
Health: 4%
Energy: 70%

Arena Notes:
  • On the edge of the river, there's a rough circle of scorched mud with claw marks on it, and a patch of blackened grass a few feet away from it.
  • There are Trapinch footprints imprinted in the ground around Cybele.

Notes:
  • Double Team didn't help Jupiter evade Earthquake, sorry. For the record, if you're wondering about how I'd ref something, you can ask me!
  • Swagger is going to wear off, both the confusion and the attack boost, when Jupiter faints.
  • Littlestream goes first this round.

Last edited:
Okay if we buy some time maybe we'll be able to get one attack in or something. Start with Magnet Rise, then use Double Team again (three clones again, I suppose) and then Ice Fang again.

Magnet Rise~Double Team~Ice Fang

3vs3 single
DQ time: 4 Days
Damage cap: 35%
Banned moves: OHKOs, direct recovery moves, suicide moves, weather moves
Arena: Asphodel Fields

Just a quiet grassy meadow … though perhaps too quiet. Maybe it’s the way the breeze rustles the grass, or the thick blanket of stone-gray clouds overhead that stubbornly refuses to change. Whatever it is, it’s got the Pokemon on edge, and for good reason: at the end of every round, each Pokemon is assaulted with an arcane, eerie whispering that deal 2% untyped damage, which is somehow completely unavoidable. There’s a river flowing nearby, providing water for moves such as Surf.

Other: No fully evolved or single stage Pokemon (e.g. Absol)

Zhorken shifted uncomfortably, then sighed and handed each trainer a wad of money while apologizing profusely. The trainers clapped per on the back and nodded in understanding. With that, a wormhole appeared and Zhorken ducked into it. A few moments later, a large mechanical dragon that carried two red referee flags walked out of the wormhole. She looked around warily – this place was too quiet – before waving one flag to signal the start of the round.

Round Eight

Totodile (xOO)

Trapinch
Cybele (F) <Hyper Cutter>
Health: 86%
Status: Nearly satisfied, but not ready to return to her airy self just yet. Confused (severe). +2 Attack.
Commands: Quick Attack/Chill ~ Quick Attack/Chill ~ Quick Attack/Chill

Littlestream (xOO)

Shinx
Jupiter (M) <Rivalry>
Health: 4%
Commands: Magnet Rise ~ Double Team ~ Ice Fang

Jupiter struggled to his paws, which was difficult as the ground still seemed to shake and his body felt like a giant bruise. In the interest of avoiding another Earthquake, he began to manipulate the ions in his paws and the ground. He felt the slightest push at his feet as the earth began to repel him…

But it was too late. Out of the corner of his eye Jupiter saw a brownish streak rushing towards him. Cybele had managed to shake the stars out of her head and, with a swift, mighty lunge, barreled into Jupiter’s side. The Shinx cried out and toppled over. This time, though he struggled, he could not get back up, and darkness overwhelmed his vision as he passed out.

Cybele jumped happily when she realized she had won, and did a little dance despite her headache. All of a sudden, cold crept through her body and a malevolent whispering seemed to freeze her soul. The Trapinch shivered violently.

Totodile (xOO)

Trapinch
Cybele (F) <Hyper Cutter>
Health: 84%
Status: Celebrating, though rather cold and creeped out. Confused (severe). +2 Attack.
Commands: Quick Attack ~ nothing ~ nothing

Littlestream (xOO)

Shinx
Jupiter (M) <Rivalry>
Health: 0%
Commands: nothing ~ nothing ~ nothing

Terrain notes
On the edge of the river, there's a rough circle of scorched mud with claw marks on it, and a patch of blackened grass a few feet away from it.

Final notes
Littlestream sends out, then Tototile attacks.
Jupiter fainted on the first action.
Nevermind, looks like Zhorken did calculate the end-of-round damage.

Last edited:
I didn't forget about the end-of-round damage, for the record; I just stopped describing it every single round. I think I made less-than-direct references to it here and there but it's been ages since I actually looked at any of the writing I did for this battle...

Might as well send out Daisy! Got nothing to lose!

....Well, nothing to lose besides the match.

(The server decided it did not want to let me post XD)

Think the effects of Swagger should have worn off by now since Jupiter's fainted.

Okay, use Toxic first, then focus yourself up, and finish with a great big Crunch. Move everything back an action if she decides to start off with a Fake Out. Sleep Talk if you're put to sleep somehow.

Toxic/Sleep Talk ~ Focus Energy/Toxic/Sleep Talk ~ Crunch/Focus Energy/Sleep Talk

Well, Littlestream is DQ'd. Totodile gets $8, and Zhorken and I both get $3.

Cybele, Sobek, and Jupiter get 2 EXP, while Veronica gets 1 EXP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom