• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Absurdly lucky/unlucky moments

Kyogre with accuracy at its lowest
Gardevoir with maxed out evasion and sp.defence

Kyogre used Origin Burst!
Critical hit!
Gardevoir fainted!

First female Combee I'd ever seen in Diamond. Was on a honey tree.

Goes up to honey tree, realizes that it's a female, realizes the lowest-leveled pokemon I have is 7 levels ahead of the Combee. I think it was a Bibarel or something.

I try to use my least-powerful move, anticipating to catch it with an Ultra Ball after this move.

Bibarel used Slash!
Critical Hit!
The Wild Combee Fainted!

Last edited:
So far, every Pokémon that I have caught on my White 2 Wedlocke that has specialized in physical defense (Koffing, Onix, Sandshrew) has had a Defense lowering nature. Just one of the little things that makes me think that my game is actively sabotaging my run.

In Alpha Sapphire, I was trying to catch Deoxys. I had already reset several times, having to catch Rayquaza again as well. It was paralyzed, and had to use Struggle. It used it once, and I knew it would faint if it used it again. I had one more chance to throw an ultra ball. This had taken so many ultra balls already and I was thinking that I would have to reset again. But I threw the Ultra ball... And caught it! EDIT: Immediately after writing this, in Alpha Sapphire I was down to my last ultra ball and that was the one I caught Virizion in.

Last edited:
I was trying to catch raikou in OR with a decent nature and EVs, and I actually ended up catching one with hidden power ice! I was pretty pleased with that and had quite a few good runs with it on battle spot. Some people switched in flygons and garchomps on my raikou and I managed to catch them by surprise and get the OHKO.

The time I was in a Gym Leader fight, on my last Pokémon, completely out of PP with no refill items, and managed to cherry-tap the opponent's Bastiodon to death using Struggle

Catching Deoxys in AS.
Deoxys is at max defenses and minimum Attack from Superpower and Cosmic Power.
Half my team (including Rayquaza) is fainted, and Latias is at around half health.
Me: Okay, I'll heal up Rayquaza. (uses Revive)
Deoxys uses Superpower. Latias takes a little bit of damage.
Me: Okay, Now that I'm healed, I'll chip at it a bit with Latias.
Latias used Surf!
Critical hit!
The wild Deoxys fainted!

Lucky:

Pokemon Red - I was in battle with Sabrina and her Alakazam had defeated nearly my entire team until all I was left with was an absurdly under leveled Pikachu and Alakazam still retained most of its health, probably due to repeatedly using 'Recover'. I sent the Pikachu out and chose a move at random, bracing myself for defeat.
The move I'd chosen was Seismic Toss. Alakazam was KOed.
Me:
BB4qxnF.gif

Silver:
I made the mistake of going after Lugia without checking my ball supply because I'd been sure I was well stocked. Ergo, it was when I'd found Lugia and battled it down to where I wanted it that I find out I was wrong. Very wrong. I had only a single Great Ball.
It was hell finding my way through those whirl islands so I decided I wasn't going to do it again, I'd just keep resetting until that Great Ball worked.
That didn't end up being necessary. That first throw was successful.

Leaf Green:
I started with Charmander so clearly set myself up to be at a disadvantage to Brock and hadn't discovered the grass outside Leauge building in Viridian where Mankey can be caught until later. So I went up against Brock with an absurdly horrible team; Charmander, Pikachu and Ratatta. I managed to take out Geodude but then while battling Onix I was left with just my Ratatta nicknamed Hurricane. Somehow Hurricane successfully KOed Onix with a combination of Tail Whip, Quick Attack and possibly some potions but I don't recall for sure. I was so proud that he'd secured a permanent spot on my team.

Unlucky:

Soul Silver - I was leveling up an Umbreon, I believe his name was Boogieman, in Goldenrod City and at a particular point was battling a Drowzee. The majority of my focus was on an episode of 'Without a Trace', so I absentmindedly had Boogieman use 'Pursuit'. Obviously, it was a one-hit-KO and a millisecond before it dropped off the screen is when I glanced down and just barely glimpsed that it was shiny.

Soul Silver - I encountered a shiny Hoppip on route 48. This time, I noticed right away and intended to capture it. The problem was the Pokemon in the first slot of my party out leveled it. I'd tried to use the weakest move it had, which I believe was something very rookie like Quick Attack. Still, I one-hit KOed it.

You remember the "DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER" message while saving, right?

Well, I was playing Emerald while my DS was low on power, and guess when it decided to run out of charge? Yep.

My entire save file was wiped.

Back
Top Bottom