• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Objection! (Ace Attorney fan-club, take 2).

*also joins*

Yeah, I sure hope this one will at least get translated. I heard they were considering not translating the crossover game and I can't say my hopes are high on it either. =/

Really excited for this new game! Hoping for Apollo as the main... Phoenix is cool and all, but I feel there's only so much they can do with him as a main character and that's been done with his 3 games. Apollo, on the other hand, needs more development.
And yeah... hope it gets released, though I think the chances are high (or higher, at least) seeing how it's a main series game, and continues the main story (Investigations was just a spinoff, and I think it didn't sell too well)
as for the Layton crossover, I think I heard they were looking into releasing an English version, haven't heard anything saying they won't. At least, it got an English official title, if that is any help…

I personally preferred Phoenix over Apollo by far, although it is true that he has had an awful lot of story already dedicated to him, even in Apollo's game. Nonetheless if I had to choose it would be Phoenix. (And besides, what about the characters he was involved with such as the Fays?)

I wouldn't mind a new and more likeable character to be introduced as the main character though. =p

I have heard there was a fans translation project going on with the game, but idk how that's going atm. I'll probably wait and see if that ever happens, just because I'd prefer playing it myself. But if that doesn't happen (or it doesn't come out officially which I am sceptical of - they said it wasn't happening after all) then a let's play is the next best option I suppose! I'll be keeping that link handy. =)

So I've been hearing a fair amount of Ace Attorney buzz recently, so I thought I'd revive this thread and see if anybody had any interest in talking Ace Attorney!

I've actually haven't played one of the main-line series in a long time, since I don't do digital downloads, haven't played any Layton games, and I guess all the Dai Gyakuten Saiiban games are Japan-only. (Are those any good? I don't think I've heard anything about them whatsoever, but if they're only in Japanese that would make sense...)

So yeah! What has everyone been up to Ace Attorney-wise? I recently finished playing AAI2 with Butterfree and enjoyed it, although it's not my favorite in the series.

So I've been hearing a fair amount of Ace Attorney buzz recently, so I thought I'd revive this thread and see if anybody had any interest in talking Ace Attorney!

Yes!!!!!

Everyone talk to me about AA6 please and thanks.

Oh man six years ago I was in this thread making "why is ace attorney not happening in real life right now" jokes and now we're actually in the thick of the main plot's dates and it hasn't escaped the collective attention of the internet at all

(also, it now makes perfect sense that the japanifornian legal system is an utter shithole by 2016, although in any case the whole thing was written as a criticism of the actual real japanese legal system in the 00s)

I've recently started a replay of the whole franchise, myself, since I haven't been playing it much aside from when Spirit of Justice came out. All the adult themes make a lot more sense now... except for literally anything involving April May, that just gets more baffling the more maturity you have

it's all master eif's fault, but i've started playing the first one! i'm incredibly behind on all the spoiler things but apparently phoenix and edgeworth get married and adopt a small child whose name i cannot remember but i'm looking forward to this.

Sweet!!

I played AA 1-3 and 5-6 last year and boy were they rides. Too bad I am an idiot whose appetite for tvtropes ruined 2 big bads

I've actually haven't played one of the main-line series in a long time, since I don't do digital downloads, haven't played any Layton games, and I guess all the Dai Gyakuten Saiiban games are Japan-only. (Are those any good? I don't think I've heard anything about them whatsoever, but if they're only in Japanese that would make sense...)
The main thing I've heard about Dai Gyakuten Saiban is that somebody on YouTube had the theory that one of the reasons it wasn't localized was that it takes place in England and contains a bunch of casual anti-Japanese racism on the part of the British characters that people would be less comfortable with in the West.

At a glance I see some subbed versions of at least part of it on YouTube, but have never checked that out myself, despite vaguely wanting to.

it's all master eif's fault, but i've started playing the first one! i'm incredibly behind on all the spoiler things but apparently phoenix and edgeworth get married and adopt a small child whose name i cannot remember but i'm looking forward to this.
Just so as not to get your hopes up too much, what actually happens is Phoenix adopts a daughter in a game where Edgeworth does not appear in any capacity. Edgeworth being involved in any way is pure fanon.

We played Spirit of Justice last year! It was good and I'm so happy it actually happened and got a translation.

Also AAI2 is Really Really Good and you should play it if you haven't already. There is a fan translation and it's perfect and I've replayed it a bunch of times. (Even if you didn't like the original Ace Attorney Investigations. AAI2 is better.)

The main thing I've heard about Dai Gyakuten Saiban is that somebody on YouTube had the theory that one of the reasons it wasn't localized was that it takes place in England and contains a bunch of casual anti-Japanese racism on the part of the British characters that people would be less comfortable with in the West.

At a glance I see some subbed versions of at least part of it on YouTube, but have never checked that out myself, despite vaguely wanting to.
Huuuuh, the British would be more sensitive to it because they'd be uncomfortable about being portrayed as the bad guys? Otherwise I'd think Japanese people would be more likely to be made uncomfortable by anti-Japanese racism...

It would be cool if... the same translation team that did AAI2... could also make translation patches for the games in that series. *quietly slides some cash across table to them*

(I took sanderidge's post to be humorous, but at the same time I could also see how someone picking up info through fandom osmosis could get the impression that that's what happens. If that's the case, then it's still humorous, but yeah, don't get your hopes up for canon gay lawyers.)

Huuuuh, the British would be more sensitive to it because they'd be uncomfortable about being portrayed as the bad guys? Otherwise I'd think Japanese people would be more likely to be made uncomfortable by anti-Japanese racism...
According to the YouTube person, Japanese culture just tends to be less viscerally put off by in-character racism. Like, in the west a lot of people would have a hard time appreciating a character who keeps spouting off racism even if it's a joke or period-appropriate or whatever, while in Japan it'd be more likely to just be seen as a character quirk. (Possibly, for native Japanese, that kind of racism is just kind of abstract and distant rather than a reality of daily life, so it might be easier to just think it's funny? Again, just quoting this guy from YouTube, so, uh, take it with a grain of salt.)

Assuming that's true, that's pretty interesting! I can see how that would be difficult to localize unless you were willing to make radical changes to the original script and completely replace the racism with a different quirk or something.

Been a minute since I've posted in here, hasn't it? Mostly I just wanted to say that I'm *finally* getting around to playing Spirit of Justice. Still only on the first case but I just wanted to say that if Death Metal Jesus is what they're starting the goddamn game with then well I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself going forward because
Death Metal Jesus
these games are amazing and beautiful and I can't believe Fire Emblem made me wait for this.

Back
Top Bottom