• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Is Cannibalism That Wrong?

Cause its that much better. Instead of eating Jodie lets eat her crap. What if she had already eaten someone? And isn't that killing you even faster?

No, just no.

But hey I would rather die than eat someone else. Err, also is it a situation where everything plant related is gone? Because I know how to cook a few leaves.

Why did he volunteer to die? He didn't even get to kill any communists/terrorists along the way.

Okay then I think we should reshape this a little.

Those tribes. You know, the ones who have a tradition to eat their people when they die, and it's an honour to be eaten after death? Is that okay? I think it's fine, seeing as they think it's an honour and all.

Again, I don't think it's very hygenic. Most humans live for a very long time, and I certianly wouldn't want to eat something that died of cancer or something.

I'm not about to go out and stop them, but there's no way you'd catch me doing it.

Okay then I think we should reshape this a little.

Those tribes. You know, the ones who have a tradition to eat their people when they die, and it's an honour to be eaten after death? Is that okay? I think it's fine, seeing as they think it's an honour and all.

Why not let them? It's their tradition, they consider it honorable, and they're not hurting anyone. (The person is already dead, so they can't feel pain.)

Really, I doubt they're concerned with hygene, when they're busy honouring their dead and fufilling a highly important tradition. Sure, you right now wouldn't do it, but if you had been born and raised in that tribe, it'd be the norm, so you would.

Then again, they have contracted diseases by eating the brains. It's unfortunate, even sad, but then, that's their culture. In America, people die from tanning booths. It's how things are, really.

This might sound creepy, but I once had this thought that if I ever fell deeply in love with someone, and that person died, I would eat a part of them, so that I would have them with me until I die. >> <<;;; Sounds good for a story, though. ^_^

Having been raised in a society viewing the negative points of cannibalism, I certainly wouldn't. However, if I had been born into some African tribe where you practiced eating your deceased loved ones so that you carried a part of their spirit with you, I probably would. I mean, not like it's any worse than being stuck in a whole in the ground and left to rot...

Having been raised in a society viewing the negative points of cannibalism, I certainly wouldn't. However, if I had been born into some African tribe where you practiced eating your deceased loved ones so that you carried a part of their spirit with you, I probably would. I mean, not like it's any worse than being stuck in a whole in the ground and left to rot...

Well, it depends on what your tribe uses as a toilet.

Um I'm pretty sure that African tribes don't eat people. I think it was the Indians or the Egyptians.

Book I Read said:
The chief of some Indian Tribes would eat the brain of other Indian Tribe chiefs who died in war to gain their wisdom.

Egyptians didn't eat people.

But I digress. My reason for thinking it's not OK is disease. However, if a culture considers it only right to eat their loved ones after death, which does indeed make sense- you came from them, so you take them back into you- we shouldn't try to stop them. Many of the tribes with such practices we came in contact with were every bit as upset by us leaving our dead in holes in the ground.

First I do not very much like the word tribe. Second is anyone arguing that cannibalism is inherently immoral?

Depends, but mainly yes, it is that wrong.

One of the main reasons would be the mental scars (and trauma?) of eating another human being. Seriously, think about it. You'd say 'No' pretty quick, and some of that would be Morality/other emotions (I think?) kicking in and giving you a jolt of "that person was like me, and I'm eating her/him, am I a freaking monster?"

Also, if you were in a state of starvation, you'd probably be dehydrated, too. If you eat when you're dehydrated, your hunger goes away, and your dehydration becomes worse. (I think that's how it goes.)

This is different than animals because of sentenence. (How do you spell that?)

Also, yeah, there's sickness, ect, but really, even if you willed yourself to, if you hadn't been brought up a cannibal, then you'd probaby reconsider very quickly.

The reason why it varies is because if you're born into it, then you're (most likely) in a society of people who are also cannibals, so it wouldn't feel as bad as if you weren't - because you were raised that way. But then again, what do I know? I'm not a cannibal.

Please excuse any inaccuracy, it's pretty late over here.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem with eating someone that died of natural causes, it's certainly more useful than throwing them in a box and letting them rot.

And since cannibalism usually only comes up in cuhraazee circumstances, I'd probably not eat somebody I was stranded with if they were my buddy or something. Unless they tried to stab me in my sleep, then filet o' friend would be back on the menu.

One of the main reasons would be the mental scars (and trauma?) of eating another human being. Seriously, think about it. You'd say 'No' pretty quick, and some of that would be Morality/other emotions (I think?) kicking in and giving you a jolt of "that person was like me, and I'm eating her/him, am I a freaking monster?"

Also, if you were in a state of starvation, you'd probably be dehydrated, too. If you eat when you're dehydrated, your hunger goes away, and your dehydration becomes worse. (I think that's how it goes.)

This is different than animals because of sentenence. (How do you spell that?)

Also, yeah, there's sickness, ect, but really, even if you willed yourself to, if you hadn't been brought up a cannibal, then you'd probaby reconsider very quickly.

The reason why it varies is because if you're born into it, then you're (most likely) in a society of people who are also cannibals, so it wouldn't feel as bad as if you weren't - because you were raised that way. But then again, what do I know? I'm not a cannibal.

Please excuse any inaccuracy, it's pretty late over here.
Um, no, it has more to do with this society valuing "okay, we do not eat each other." This is accepted as a given. It's rarely actually stated, but it's such a deeply-ingrained taboo in this society that the idea of eating someone is repugnant.

To go off what Surskitty said, that's true. Back in (I think) the 19th century, English sailors, when lost at sea, had to resort to cannibalism. There was no worry, no questioning of sanity; that's just how it was back then. But then England outlawed that practise (even in dire situations like that), people began to question what they were doing. Before, a matter of survival. After, an action only a monster would take, or so says England.

It's mainly society's doing. Because I wouldn't much care if I was eating a person, as long as that person was not murdered for eating.

Feed the poor to the hungry. =D

Humans as pet food might be good; the slaves will know that humans don't taste very good, so they won't attack anyone.

Last edited:
If you were dying, and were around someone who had died of their own accord, and if you had ketchup, and all the other crap, I would say that cannibalism is just about OK.

But killing people just to eat them- not cool.

So, we eat every kind of meat except that which is easiest to find? :P
There's no point in letting a dead person go to waste. It's like eating beef...just...not...

So, we eat every kind of meat except that which is easiest to find? :P
There's no point in letting a dead person go to waste. It's like eating beef...just...not...

idk about you but I'd be pretty pissed off if say, one of my relatives had died and was then going to get eaten.

but maybe that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom