• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Paranoia + Apocalyptic Situations = This Thread

Ah, but you forget. If they became sentient, then they would already be far smarter than us. They could figure out how to make themselves immune to EMP bombs given some time. And since they would be smarter than us, they would have plenty of time, knowing when to move, when to stop, etc.

After all, they DO have computers for brains!

Can't be immune to EMPs without essentially redesigning the computer from the ground up. Beside, if they were smart enough to build a computer that couldn't be harmed by magnetic interference, they'd just go to live on another planet when they were annoyed- less effort than killing all of the humans, but the same result.

ROBOT MASSACRE:

I am seriously paranoid watching Terminator 1 2 and 3. I mean seriously, how the heck do you escape robots? You can't play dead because they just have sensors that can tell if you are alive or not. I always think about this one.

Set of a nuke in space. Same thing as a EMP bomb, but it's been done and it works. EMP bombs that haven't been made yet as far as we're supposed to know. :)

Or, of course, we can just get Al Gore to unplug the internet. The robots, losing all communication, will become harmless and disorganized.

They could figure out how to make themselves immune to EMP bombs given some time.

EMPs destroy all electronics. The only way a computer can survive it is if that computer sits deeeeep underground.

dumb enough to give the robot free will...

I'm dumb enough. What's wrong with giving a robot free-will if what it can and can't do is physically limited? It'd be a harmful as the average human being...

Did anyone hear about the machine being made to look into other dimensions but it could cause the earth to be shot into another dimension?

I hope it shoots Earth into a amazingly awesome Utopian dimension that won't kill us all. :P

Zombies
Aliens
Nuclear Winter
Killer, Out of Control Virus
Super Volcano

Zombies - I would find any survivors I can and fortify (and live in) a area that's far away from civilization, such as a desert. Yes, we would bring trailerloads (yay for truckjacking!) of food with me. Whenever we run out of food, though, is when things get risky.

Aliens - War-of-the-World style invincialiens or aliens that are high-tech but beatable or what?
One way or anouther, not much one can do but move from place to place and hope not to get killed. :/

Nuclear Winter - I'd be so screwed up by the radiation alone, I'd pretty much die nomatter what.

Virus - Go live on a island somewhere. What else can I do?

Super Volcano - Stock up on food and wait out the unavoidable violent weather changes. What else is there to (realistically) do?

Nuclear war isn't funny.

I disagree. Nuclear War has it's moments.

Hm, what about a global ice age? It could happen, and noone has mentioned it. :O

Last edited:
Aliens? I'd just side with the victor. Does that make me a bad person?

Of course, if they had some reason for wanting to eliminate us beyond that we were in the way, then that would be different.

I'm dumb enough. What's wrong with giving a robot free-will if what it can and can't do is physically limited? It'd be a harmful as the average human being...

If it is designed to build robots for mass production, then it could make more sentient robots that do not have such limitations...

Zombies - I would find any survivors I can and fortify (and live in) a area that's far away from civilization, such as a desert. Yes, we would bring trailerloads (yay for truckjacking!) of food with me. Whenever we run out of food, though, is when things get risky.

Wrong. Go to a hot, humid place. Speeds up decomposition :D

Aliens - War-of-the-World style invincialiens or aliens that are high-tech but beatable or what?
One way or anouther, not much one can do but move from place to place and hope not to get killed. :/

Didn't War of the Worlds style aliens fall to disease *coughthatshouldn'treallyaffectthemanywaysasthediseaselikelydoesnottargetthemcough*

Nuclear Winter - I'd be so screwed up by the radiation alone, I'd pretty much die nomatter what.

Well, I do want to build a chyenne (sp?) mountain-style city under part of the rocky mountains... Anybody up for raising a couple hundred million dollars? :D

Virus - Go live on a island somewhere. What else can I do?

Hide in my uber-sterilized (well, it would be shortly before the event gets that bad) house?

Super Volcano - Stock up on food and wait out the unavoidable violent weather changes. What else is there to (realistically) do?

UV Lamps + Plants = HAPPY DAYS! ...MAYBE!

Hm, what about a global ice age? It could happen, and noone has mentioned it. :O

:O Hmm... Good point... people, we need to plan!

If it is designed to build robots for mass production, then it could make more sentient robots that do not have such limitations...

Which is why we don't let them run factories. XD

Wouldn't we have robots on our side too though? Not all robots with minds would be against the human race...

Wrong. Go to a hot, humid place. Speeds up decomposition :D

So Houston is safe? Good, I don't have to go anywhere then! :D
Consider population density as well. There are few unpopulated regions like that, unless you count jungles. Swarms of leeches, mosquitoes, and enviromentalists swarm throughout those places, making them hell-on-Earths.

Didn't War of the Worlds style aliens fall to disease *coughthatshouldn'treallyaffectthemanywaysasthediseaselikelydoesnottargetthemcough*

Yes, and the aliens from Close Encounters fell to disco.

Well, I do want to build a chyenne (sp?) mountain-style city under part of the rocky mountains... Anybody up for raising a couple hundred million dollars? :D

And a couple million workers, and a couple dozen years. :)

Hide in my uber-sterilized (well, it would be shortly before the event gets that bad) house?

What if a contaminated Jehovah's Witness started knocking at your door? :O

UV Lamps + Plants = HAPPY DAYS! ...MAYBE!

Hopefully! :D

The heating better not go though, which it probably will do when it's 70 below freezing.

Hmm, this may be a nominee for the Most Entertaining Topic Evar.

EDIT:
If an ice age were to occur... find a better greenhouse gas. :P Then, make factories that pump it into the atmosphere.

China will be our savior for once! :D

I just thought of something... Namely, drought. Imagine a planet-wide drought... How could it be survived? I was thinking that a device that pulled vapor out of the air and froze it could be used...

Well, the water would go into the atmosphere. The planet would cool as the clouds would prevent sunlight from coming in. Then it would eventually fall as snow

If any disaster happens, I'll be glad to get stuck in a dream world when it's all over, maybe. I just have to remember the positives.

Oh, for getting out of it? What am I, 20?

PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC

Yeah. I'll probably treat it like it's a dream and accidentally kill myself by jumping off a building, trying to fly.

Virus/Zombie: Make vaccine out of my own immune blood
Aliens: Throw bacteria-filled water on them while playing high-pitch music
Ice Age: Go to Mexico

And yes, I just took the ideas of 5 different movies.

*Is lazy and therefore doesn't bother reading the thread properly, but rather skims the posts briefly.*

Apocalyptic situations? I'm paranoid. And I don't mean that in the way most people do when they say it, I mean that I actually suffer from [SIZE=small]self-diagnosed[/SIZE] paranoia. I've planned for pretty much everything, including the death of one parent or both. I haven't written any of these plans down, lest someone find them, cause one of my many planned-for situations to occur and beat me at every corner. I have them all memorised.

Actually, that's not true. I just can't be bothered to write them all down.

I could list what I've planned for, though.

1) My mother's death.
2) My father's death.
3) Both of their deaths.
4) a) Burglaries
4) b) Encountering a rapist/child molester
5) The American government's inevitable discreet, undercover invasion of Britain and the obvious result, using English land to test new aircraft because the Americans are starting to catch on.
6) a) Alien invasion - hostile.
6) b) Alien invasion - recon.
6) c) Alien invasion - seeding. (The most unlikely in my long, long list.)
6) d) Aliens coming with intent of learning of/from us and the military, being military, just blowing them all up.
6) e) Aliens coming with intent of educating us and the military, being military, just blowing them all up.
7) (Finally, a new number!) One company buying all radio and/or TV stations and putting subliminal messages in the radio and/or TV shows. My plans include these messages inclining the purchase of a particular object, joining a particular movement or just good old-fashioned hypnotic slavery.
8) a) An unstoppable or near-unstoppable virus developing and wiping out most life forms.
8) b) An unstoppable or near-unstoppable virus being genetically engineered and wiping out most life forms.
9) Lab Animals, after successful testing, being given drugs to enhance their intelligence, revolting and overthrowing the Human race.
10) Nuclear warfare breaking out.
11) The inevitable culling of all but one of the following: Asia, America, Europe (exc. Britain), Britain and Australasia by the remaining one.

...I think that's it. At least, those are the likely events I have planned for.

*Is lazy and therefore doesn't bother reading the thread properly, but rather skims the posts briefly.*

Apocalyptic situations? I'm paranoid. And I don't mean that in the way most people do when they say it, I mean that I actually suffer from [SIZE=small]self-diagnosed[/SIZE] paranoia. I've planned for pretty much everything, including the death of one parent or both. I haven't written any of these plans down, lest someone find them, cause one of my many planned-for situations to occur and beat me at every corner. I have them all memorised.

Actually, that's not true. I just can't be bothered to write them all down.

I could list what I've planned for, though.

1) My mother's death.
2) My father's death.
3) Both of their deaths.
4) a) Burglaries
4) b) Encountering a rapist/child molester
5) The American government's inevitable discreet, undercover invasion of Britain and the obvious result, using English land to test new aircraft because the Americans are starting to catch on.
6) a) Alien invasion - hostile.
6) b) Alien invasion - recon.
6) c) Alien invasion - seeding. (The most unlikely in my long, long list.)
6) d) Aliens coming with intent of learning of/from us and the military, being military, just blowing them all up.
6) e) Aliens coming with intent of educating us and the military, being military, just blowing them all up.
7) (Finally, a new number!) One company buying all radio and/or TV stations and putting subliminal messages in the radio and/or TV shows. My plans include these messages inclining the purchase of a particular object, joining a particular movement or just good old-fashioned hypnotic slavery.
8) a) An unstoppable or near-unstoppable virus developing and wiping out most life forms.
8) b) An unstoppable or near-unstoppable virus being genetically engineered and wiping out most life forms.
9) Lab Animals, after successful testing, being given drugs to enhance their intelligence, revolting and overthrowing the Human race.
10) Nuclear warfare breaking out.
11) The inevitable culling of all but one of the following: Asia, America, Europe (exc. Britain), Britain and Australasia by the remaining one.

...I think that's it. At least, those are the likely events I have planned for.

...:O Please, let us discuss plans

(I know this is an old discussion.) The happening sounds ridiculous. Plants don't take over people's minds and make them kill themselves, they take over people's minds and make them create gardens and farms.

Back
Top Bottom