• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

Chespin is a hedgehog, according to its French and German names. The things on its head are the beginnings of spines. "Ches-" presumably comes from chestnut, most likely a horse chestnut since those have spiky shells.

Most common speculation for fennekin's type is psychic (it's using something that looks like confusion or psywave in one part of the video). I've heard a lot of people suggest ghost or dark for chespin (due to the dark-looking slashing attack it uses at one point) and ice, flying or fighting for froakie (due to it using something that is likely ice beam—look closely at that beam it fires and you'll see snowflakes/ice crystals), its foam looking cloudlike or that other move it uses being a fighting-type move (though I just thought it was quick attack or maybe doubleslap, eh).

Personally, I don't have much of a preference for what they turn out to be as long as fennekin isn't fighting and the other two aren't single-type. People seem to forget in their intense hatred of fire/fighting that pure grass and pure water have also been done three times, and imo that's almost as annoying.

Most common speculation for fennekin's type is psychic (it's using something that looks like confusion or psywave in one part of the video). I've heard a lot of people suggest ghost or dark for chespin (due to the dark-looking slashing attack it uses at one point) and ice, flying or fighting for froakie (due to it using something that is likely ice beam—look closely at that beam it fires and you'll see snowflakes/ice crystals), its foam looking cloudlike or that other move it uses being a fighting-type move (though I just thought it was quick attack or maybe doubleslap, eh).

I don't think Froakie will be an ice type; most water types can learn Ice Beam by TM.

Personally, I don't have much of a preference for what they turn out to be as long as fennekin isn't fighting and the other two aren't single-type. People seem to forget in their intense hatred of fire/fighting that pure grass and pure water have also been done three times, and imo that's almost as annoying.

Single type isn't that bad. But this.
This just means they were bored.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

...aaaaaaa...

Ahem.

Wow, this is... really exciting me way more than I can remember for any release since R/S/E! Maybe because they started out showing the actual games instead of teasing people for months ahead of time with new pokémon. I actually rather like all of the starters! I'm looking forward to seeing their final evolution... I'm pretty sure I'd have to go grass hedgehog if that's what we end up with with chespin, but some kind of flying frog would be really cool, too.

Kind of interesting that waaay back when fourth gen was coming out people were speculating that the pokémon were in 3D and getting anxious about it because you can't really sprite 3D models... spriting's not nearly so big here now as it was then, but I'm a little surprised the switch to all-3D is getting received as positively as it is. (Not a huge fan myself; I prefer nice-looking sprites to the quality of 3D on the 3DS, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.)

I'm actually quite happy with some of the other pokemon they showed in the video. Seeing a Dratini and a Kirlia means my two favorite pokemon are somehow available.

I can't stand the graphics at all. I might grow accustomed to them, but for the time being, I hate it. The graphics is what set Pokemon apart, and now it's just like every other monster fighting game ever.

The graphics don't look bad actually, especially with the 3D. But it'll take a while for me to get used to them

I hate all the starters, though. I guess I'll pick Froakie?

I don't think Froakie will be an ice type; most water types can learn Ice Beam by TM.

I know, but why show it using ice beam specifically if, for example, fennekin's other attack is likely to hint toward a psychic typing? Note that froakie was not shown using an identifiable water move at all the way fennekin appeared to be using flamethrower and chespin used solarbeam; one of the two moves it used likely had something to do with one of its types/eventual types. It's not a guarantee, but yeah. Why go for ice beam (or "a fighting move" or "acrobatics" or whatever that other move was) when they could have shown it using water gun or hydro pump?

Like I said, it's not so much my speculation—I usually don't bother since I'll only be disappointed if I get my hopes up and am wrong—but I can see why some people might think it's meaningful even if ice beam is a common move on water-types in general.

Single type isn't that bad. But this.

This just means they were bored.
But why have four starters that are all single-type when they have so many other types they could use? Even repeating ground, poison or steel would be more interesting than plain grass and plain water again.

Also, to be fair, "boredom" probably isn't the right word to use. Fighting fits pretty nicely with all three of the fire starters' concepts—they could've done something else, yes, but it's not like fighting doesn't make any sense on them and was literally slapped on just to be a nuisance.

Last edited:
The grass and water really deserve second types, they haven't gotten those very often. I sometimes wonder what is going on in the design team's heads when they're going like 'uh yeah a third fire/fighting starter THAT'S A GOOD IDEA also let's not give the other starters second types hurr'

Even though I kindasorta miss the old sprite graphics, I think the way they did the 3d here works fine. The celshaded style is cool, plus now they can probably add all sorts of effects to the pokes more easily (perhaps jesus deer's horngems will glow in-game too? *hopeful smile*)

though the best part is that now the kiddies will actually have to learn how to do pixel art if they want to recolour 6th gen pokemon sprites |D

What if. Chespin was Grass/Fighting, Fennekin was Fire/Psychic, and Froakie was Water/Dark.

Just to mess with us.

I dunno, I don't think it's very likely that they'd give one starter a complete immunity to another's typing, even if it's only half. :B it's a cool idea but I dunno!! The starters are meant to be about balance, so...

If it would be anything realistic it would be Flying/Rock/Fighting.

Oh man can you imagine a Fire/Flying Fennekin evo

I dunno, I don't think it's very likely that they'd give one starter a complete immunity to another's typing, even if it's only half. :B it's a cool idea but I dunno!! The starters are meant to be about balance, so...
Yeah, but people have been "speculating" the Fighting/Psychic/Dark "triangle" ever since PK made those fake DP starters.

Would at least sort of balance it if chespin were dark and froakie were fighting, so the "triangle" went in reverse and gave chespin half an advantage over fennekin instead of pretty severely compounding fennekin's disadvantage against froakie. *shrug*

Fighting/rock/flying would be kinda fun, too, though.

Oh, but completely unrelated: it's already coming out in October aaaaa I still haven't beaten the E4 on B2 even after all the playing I did over break. I guess if they had done the usual "release several months earlier in Japan" thing like usual the schedule would feel less rushed. Guess I have some grinding to do if I pass my exam at the end of this month. >>

(Admittedly this is mostly because my remaining nuzlocke pokémon will surely get murdered in the process, especially because scrafty has STAB SE against absolutely ALL of them. My poor handful of surviving babies! D: )

Bakugan (bleh).

Really? The human models remind me more of Harvest Moon: A New Beginning but *shrugs* EDIT: No, they look different. Very Sugimori eyes on the male trainer.

It's just a cell-shaded, deformed style. Same as the old games, but 3D. Gen IV's bigger human sprites looked odd and Gen V's more proportional ones were too. You just have to get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom