• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How many shinies have you seen/caught (Wild encounters only)?

Catkibbles#310

Pronoun
he
Just curious to know (don't include red gyarados, soft resets or fishing/radar chains)
Here are mine (In order and rough levels I think):
Mawile lvl 12, Ruby, Dewford cave, didn't catch, no pokeballs
Weepinbell lvl 12-15, Silver, Near Bill's house, caught, gone, save battery died
Golbat lvl 32-35, Ruby, Meteor Falls, caught, evolved
Swadloon lvl 20-22, Black, Lostlorn Forest, evolved
Chimecho lvl 57, Black, near Landorus' shrine, caught
Pidgey lvl 4, Soul Silver, near Mr. Pokemon's house, didn't catch, no pokeballs
Fletchling lvl 4-6, Y, Santalune forest, caught

I think thats all of them plus a Volbeat that might have been in ruby or my brothers Emerald, can't remember what happened to it..?

I've only encountered/caught two (I suck so badly I've never even caught the red gyarados):

Ponyta, level ???, just outside Blackthorn I think?, Gold. Caught, evolved, save file literally erased itself. I don't think it was a battery thing because it had been showing no signs of internal battery dying and also future save files stuck.
Emolga, level 30, Friend Safari, X. Caught, treasured, played with continuously in Amie.

What about egg shinies?

I have one if you only count wild encounters, but I have two if you count eggs. I didn't soft reset, I was just hatching LOADS of eggs.

I caught an Elekid near the Valley Windworks in Diamond, luckily I was looking for an Elekid at the time AND I wanted it to be holding the thing that causes Electabuzz to evolve and it was!
I hatched a shiny Swinub a few months ago. Unfortunately it doesn't have a perfect attack IV and its nature reduces attack.

Ones I've SEEN include:
Zubat in Dewford Cave, didn't have a Pokéballs
Aron in Dewford Cave, did catch it but I restarted my game since then.
Arbok in Silver. Didn't catch it because this was while gen 5 was out, I didn't really bother since I knew it would be pointless since I couldn't transfer it over.
Onix in Silver, killed it with an underlevelled Goldeen.

*cracks knuckl- oh wait a lot of mine are bred.

Let's see. I currenltly have ~43 trophy shinies (and around... 36 competitive shinies)? I've bred most of the competitive ones myself (and some semi-usable ones are from Friend Safaris) but some of them are from trades.

A lot of the trophy shinies are ones I've encountered myself. Notable specimens include my First Ever shiny, Palkia, my second shiny, an Unown D (seriously though. I got the *shiny* D), and my first XY shiny encounter, an Electabuzz (now an Electivire) that I ran into on someone's Friend Safari.

Friend safaris and hordes are the best places though if you want random trophy shinies and don't care much about natures or IVs. Pokeradar can suck my ass. Though I *did* once manage to chain a shiny Spoink for my sister on Platinum. :Y

QUICKEDIT: yeah I may have a 'shiny hatching problem'. shit's addictive, yo

I've only ever seen two shinies, and one of them belonged to Prof. Juniper. Never owned any legit ones.

In my illustrious gaming career since Diamond of '07, I have encountered...

... zero.

On the other hand, my brother has encountered exactly one: the roaming Entei in his first playthrough of HeartGold was shiny. (He screamed. I screamed.) He caught it with his Master Ball.

Some things are just precious like that.

One. Today in Alpha Sapphire I found a shiny Lunatone and screamed my head off. And then I freaked out and chucked my master ball at it. Happy to say I caught it!

Caught/Obtained:
Cranidos - Oreburgh City (Diamond)
Gurdurr - Twist Mountain (White)
Poliwag - Pokémon Village (Y)
Gulpin - Route 7 (Y)
Unown - Mirage Cave (Omega Ruby)

Seen, not Caught:
Graveler - Victory Road (Heart Gold)

Exactly 2:

Shiny Maractus in Black (I had spent 15 min. looking for one for who knows why, so you can imagine my joy. Yes I caught it, but then my black was stolen... :'-( )
Shiny Poliwhirl in X (I was looking for a Politoed... but I only had one ultra ball. I didn't catch it... :'-( )

I have fairly good luck with finding shines but i can never keep one... Someday...

EDIT: I found a shiny Basculin while I was chain fishing. It then proceeded to be a butt by using Final Gambit before I could catch it... :'-(

Last edited:
I've been playing Pokemon since I was five years old. My answer is 0.
None owned, bred, or encountered.
:(

Edit: Wait, I won't exactly say none owned. In Omega Ruby I have a Shiny Crawdaunt on my team, however he was not caught by me. My best friend caught the little Shiny Corphish and traded it to me because he knows I adore Corphish. And then I have that Shiny Metagross from that event.

None that count for the purposes of this thread... my only shinies in all my games, in all my 8+ years of playing pokémon, are my Red Gyarados in SoulSilver and a Floatzel someone traded me in Y. I've never encountered any legitimately in the wild or through breeding. : (

I've only encountered/caught two (I suck so badly I've never even caught the red gyarados):

Ponyta, level ???, just outside Blackthorn I think?, Gold. Caught, evolved, save file literally erased itself. I don't think it was a battery thing because it had been showing no signs of internal battery dying and also future save files stuck.
Emolga, level 30, Friend Safari, X. Caught, treasured, played with continuously in Amie.

MY GODDAMN MOTHER ON THE OTHER HAND. She got a shiny freaking floatzel maybe a week after she started playing Pokemon and ever since she has had unreal shiny luck I hate it

Also my boyfriend's roommate nabbed a shiny exeggcute while I was in their room last week so

I mostly find shinies in Nuzlockes, because I don't do shiny exception rules and I probably disturbed the rest of Tutankhamon in a past life or something like that. Off the top of my head, the full list of shinies I've ever spontaneously found was:
-A Tentacool in Gold;
-A Seviper in Ruby, but I was just messing around with some rom hacking tools (hence, finding a Seviper in Ruby);
-A Shinx and a Scyther while Nuzlocking Platinum (on the same playthrough)
-An Absol while Nuzlocking X

(I caved and caught the Absol, if only because I could stash it away on Pokébank and all, but, cfr. "disturbed the rest of Tutankhamon", that Absol is gone along with everything that was in my Omega Ruby when the save file on that was corrupted. The next time I see a shiny Buddha on the Nuzlocke road, I'm definitely going back to killing it.)

I have one shiny! It is a shiny Shroomish found in Petalburg Woods in Emerald. :D

(I'm inclined to count having found Pokérus in Emerald as a lucky thing as well. Woo! And then I lost my prized Swellow to a cloning accident, so I guess it all evens out haha.)

One Psyduck in Diamond like. 8 years ago.

I have the worst shiny luck but somehow got Pokerus twice as a kid?

Exactly 2:

Shiny Maractus in Black (I had spent 15 min. looking for one for who knows why, so you can imagine my joy. Yes I caught it, but then my black was stolen... :'-( )
Shiny Poliwhirl in X (I was looking for a Politoed... but I only had one ultra ball. I didn't catch it... :'-( )

I have fairly good luck with finding shines but i can never keep one... Someday...

EDIT: I found a shiny Basculin while I was chain fishing. It then proceeded to be a butt by using Final Gambit before I could catch it... :'-(

Well THIS has certainly changed
Let's see...
Shiny Granbull in Ultra Moon, found while grinding in Poni Gauntlet
Shiny MALE Salandit in Ultra Moon, found while looking for Larvesta ("tragically" lost after I forgot to save)
Shiny Staryu in Ultra Moon, found while attempting to SOS chain for Starmie
Shiny Riolu in Sun, found while attempting to SOS chain for Lucario
Shiny Tepig in Sun, found while just randomly breeding an Emboar
Shiny Chinchou in Sun, found while looking for regular Chinchou
Shiny Golduck in Sun, found while grinding in Poni Gauntlet
Shiny Golbat in Alpha Sapphire, found while grinding at Sky Pillar
Shiny Chatot in Alpha Sapphire, found while Dexnaving for regular Chatot
Shiny Abra in X, found while looking for Doduo (I think)
Shiny Haunter in X, found just while walking through Route 14
Shiny Stunky in X, found while looking for Starly (I think)

I swear I never even try to look for these things; they just appear randomly. However, I suppose it does help that I'm constantly out on routes and whatever looking for Pokemon for whatever Living Dex I happen to be working on.

EDIT: Also found a shiny Chansey while out Chansey chaining for EXP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom