• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your parents' opinion on Pokémon?

Re: Your parents' opinion on Pokémon?

I've gotten the "you're a bit old for this" comment a few times, but overall they don't seem to care.

My dad doesn't really care either way; the most he ever says about it is occasionally calling it "Moképon" to be silly (he does the "flip the letters around in something's name" thing a lot. Occasionally me and my sister get him to slip up with that and say something embarrassing, like one time when one of us said "Yucko Food"...)

My mom doesn't seem to care much either way about the video games or the fact that I draw Pokémon sometimes, though she'd probably complain a little if I still watched the anime (she apparently has something against people older than 18 watching cartoons of any sort. Seriously, she even complained when I was watching old episodes Batman: The Animated Series a while back... I'd understand some complaints if I wanted to watch Spongebob or whatever new crap Cartoon Network is shoveling out these days, but complaining about BATMAN? come on.)

Indifference from Dad and occasional very, very mild interest from Mom (as in the occasional question along the lines of "Oh? And what does that mean?" or "So what team did you use and how does it work?" when I won JAA regionals a few years ago) as long as I don't seem to be hopelessly obsessed and they don't have to pay for anything anymore. They've apparently seen just enough of the official stuff that they think my fakemon look fairly convincing. Since I don't drive my mother will sometimes take me to store events when public transportation would be too inconvenient. They know I have a website, that I draw stuff, that I still buy the games, etc..

I think my mom is more surprised that the franchise as a whole isn't dead than she is that I still like it at 21, probably because we've actually had a conversation about how there are in fact aspects of the game (competitive play, interacting with friends, worldbuilding, blah) that can still appeal to an older demographic. She might've wondered why I was still interested for a while, but I'm pretty sure she's come to terms with the fact that I will forever be a nerd with a taste for weird monsters and so she doesn't care.

They don't mind that I play it; they bought me a Pokémon board game for Christmas. But they don't know too much about it. My dad thought that Gimli was a Pokémon.

Actual question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire back in the early 2000's: "Which of these is not a Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Frodo?"

I play a lot a video games, and Pokemon happens to be one of them. That's how they see it.

Actual question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire back in the early 2000's: "Which of these is not a Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Frodo?"

Amaaaaazing XDD

Amusing fact (based entirely on my own experience) - the older you get (from about sixteen onwards), the cooler you become for playing Pokemon.

Amusing fact (based entirely on my own experience) - the older you get (from about sixteen onwards), the cooler you become for playing Pokemon.

So true. The eighteen-year-olds at my high school are into it enough that they're going to be playing HGSS <3

Well, let's see.

Mom: She doesn't really care. I think to her, it's just another game. She might joke about it occasionally but that's it.

Dad: Well, he will tease my brother and I about it. He always says we're old for "Pokeeemon" when we are going to like buy a game or do an event or something. However, when I ask him to do something for me related to Pokemon(like drive me to Gamestop for the Pichu event or getting the batteries in my Silver and Crystal replaced), he'll do it.

I think a major part in them not really caring is, well, since the 6th grade I had to focus my obsession online because I worry about my image in school too much. Add in the fact that the games have started to bore me(outside of the first two Gens, as long as I have a SP and the batteries still work in the games I'll play them) and that most of my obsession is directed at the fan part of it(spriting, fan art, fakemon, applying knowledge to something where there's a lack of it, etc.), I don't really come across as a obsessed fan to them. I think they're more worried about the amount of time I spend on the computer that's in part due to this obsession than the obsession itself.

However, I do tend to annoy them by randomly humming songs from the games whenever I'm at home. I seriously do this all of the time. If its not a Pokemon song, then its Kirby. If its not a Kirby or Pokemon song, I'm singing This is Halloween.

I don't understand the twelve year olds whose parents don't like them liking pokémon. At twelve years old pokémon was the height of cool! I can kind of understand adults' parents being a bit "uh..." but twelve year olds!?

My likes and dislikes generally aren't on my parents' radar... they don't really know what I get up to in my spare time unless I tell them.

I don't understand the twelve year olds whose parents don't like them liking pokémon. At twelve years old pokémon was the height of cool! I can kind of understand adults' parents being a bit "uh..." but twelve year olds!?

My likes and dislikes generally aren't on my parents' radar... they don't really know what I get up to in my spare time unless I tell them.

Yes, I don't understand why my/all of the other twelve year olds' parents don't like us liking Pokémon either! I just haven't mentioned it in over a year-and-a-half so... They more or less don't know? I just do everything behind their backs which also helps conceal my obsession.

Meh, my mum's not exactly open-minded about it, but I'm hoping that'll change at some point in the future. I mean, she accepts that I buy the games, but she doesn't really get why I like Pokémon. My dad cares a bit less than she does, I think; not sure he knows much about Pokémon at all, but hey.

Last edited:

They don't care, but I think that's only because I am a slowly dying fan of it. They have never really cared other than when I first got into it and my dad was scared it was evil -_-. They even took me to the JAA event in '06.

They quietly tolerate my various rants (Why won't Amity Square let in my Glaceon?! It's cute too!) and the hours I spend playing the games, and drive me to events. My mom has Pearl, but rarely plays it. Also, my dad buys me Pokemon-related merchandise at the Pokemon Center Tokyo when he's in Japan. I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Well, my parents don't care either. Dad doesn't even know it, and while mom does know about it, I have to describe my groudon and kyogre toys as 'That red dinosaur and the blue whale' or she would get confused. (Though she did remember Groudon after I showed a drawing of it to her)

Mom was actually the person who bought red, blue, yellow and crystal for us.

My dad will occasionally tease me when I'm playing online. He'll joke that I'm an adult lording over a bunch of kids in the game, but he's a kidder like that. In reality, he's perfectly okay with it as long as I keep up with work and school. He even has a few favorite pokemon (He likes Chikorita and Gengar, IIRC)

"You are NINETEEN years old, what are you still doing playing with Pokeyman?"

My brother's 22, he gets it worse than I do.

*feels old again, though what should I really expect?*

My parents don't really care anymore. I have my own car, my own money, and my own computer, so they just trust me to make my own decisions as to hobbies. As long as I'm working on my Ph.D, which I hope to finish sometime this year, they don't really mind what else I do.

My dad's clueless about Pokémon, or video games in general. He used to call it "Kokeyman" or whatever. My mom has a little more knowledge, and sometimes likes to play games like 'Spyro the Dragon', and knows pretty well that I like Flygon in particular, but she still doesn't understand Pokémon.

Now if only they'd let me buy a snake... *grumbles* I have to leave home sometime, I guess.

How much will it cost? ____ Okay. *gets back to whatever, usually driving home*

I've been told by my parents many times that I'm to old for Pokémon. To bad I don't give a crap :)

Last edited:

I usually get, "You want another Pokemon game?! I think i've taken too much Pokemon for a while."
She actually watched the anime with me when I was still a toddler, so she has a pretty good knowledge of it, to the point of where she says her favorite Pokemon are Jigglypuff and Eevee... she absolutely HATES Pikachu, though xD.
And now, in public, she says that Pokemon could burn in hell for all she cares, but she says so in a joking way.

Father doesn't care either, and whenever somthing goes wrong he blames it on Squirtle. Example;
*phone breaking up*
Me: Dad, I think the phone's messing up again.
Father: It's those godd*mn Squirtle again.

Back
Top Bottom